Renew MED within X days of expiry date ?

LongRoadBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jacker
I'm in Europe (Norway) and over 60 so I have to renew my med every year.

The reg is very hard to understand. As I understand it here, I MAY renew it (revalidate) "up to 45 days prior to the expiry date of the current med cert."

Further reg states "if the holder does not comply (with the above) a renewal examination and/or assessment shall be required"

Is this similar in the US and what does it mean actually, in practice? I mean I have to go in and renew it, but if I do it more than 45 from expire date, is this a lesser exam? If I do it five days prior, what? A more thorough exam?

Any experience with what this actually means?

Well, in the U.S., you can renew your medical at any time unless there are some sort of restrictions on a special issuance. And an exam is an exam.

I can’t even begin to address how Norway does medicals. Sounds like it is significantly different.

In the US the examination is the same regardless of how recent (if ever) you’ve taken it. There is no penalty for gaps between valid medical; if you’re not acting as PIC you don’t need to have one.

Is there a PON (Pilots of Norway) board that could answer the Norwegian medical question? :)

I'd need to see the actual regulatory text in context of the related regulations to even take a guess.

Ignorant speculation: from what you say, it sounds like Norway has some sort of medical certificate revalidation procedure which involves something short of a full medical exam.

If that's the case, no, we have nothing similar in the US fir FAA medical certificates.

I'm in Europe (Norway) and over 60 so I have to renew my med every year.

The reg is very hard to understand. As I understand it here, I MAY renew it (revalidate) "up to 45 days prior to the expiry date of the current med cert."

Further reg states "if the holder does not comply (with the above) a renewal examination and/or assessment shall be required"

Is this similar in the US and what does it mean actually, in practice? I mean I have to go in and renew it, but if I do it more than 45 from expire date, is this a lesser exam? If I do it five days prior, what? A more thorough exam?

Any experience with what this actually means?

It looks like that simply implies that if you are outside, meaning prior to, the 45 days you MAY NOT renew it at all. IOW you cannot come in earlier than 45 days but it does not say you MUST renew it in those 45 days; you could wait til after and let it expire although I don't know if there is an amount of time after expiration where you could no longer "renew" and would have to start from scratch but I'm just SGOTI. I like Brads idea of asking SNGOTI* on a Pilot's of Norway board.:)

*Some Norwegian Guy On The Internet

Last edited:
It looks like that simply implies that if you are outside the 45 days you MAY NOT renew it at all. IOW you cannot come in earlier than 45 days but it does not say you MUST renew it in those 45 days; you could wait til after and let it expire although I don't know if there is an amount of time after expiration where you could no longer "renew" and would have to start from scratch but I'm just SGOTI. I like Brads idea of asking SNGOTI* on a Pilot's of Norway board.:)

*Some Norwegian Guy On The Internet

Thanks. I sent an email to a teacher from ground school, think you nailed it. The other way made no sense to me, but you got it. I think there were ways to write the reg a little clearer, but ...

There is a Norway pilot or GA forum, but it's very dead there. At least the ones I found. Thank all!

Thanks. I sent an email to a teacher from ground school, think you nailed it. The other way made no sense to me, but you got it. I think there were ways to write the reg a little clearer, but ...

There is a Norway pilot or GA forum, but it's very dead there. At least the ones I found. Thank all!

I modified my answer to clarify "outside" I meant prior to. You are right about regs, it's an ubiquitous problem.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back