Removing Kx155

n1959

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
N1959
I am trying to repair my spotty display in the KX155.
I tried loosening the (3/32) set screw by turning it ccw. After 4 or 5 turns it will get tight again and the radio won't pop out, even pulling on it........
Is there something i'm not doing right?

Thank's for the help.:dunno:

if you turn it all the way to the end the plastic tab will turn enough that the other tab can jam the radio in. Just unscrew it a few turns and then wiggle the radio to get it to come back a little, then repeat. it might just come out a mm at a time

if you turn it all the way to the end the plastic tab will turn enough that the other tab can jam the radio in. Just unscrew it a few turns and then wiggle the radio to get it to come back a little, then repeat. it might just come out a mm at a time

Did try that , but can't even wiggle it.

tried looking for a picture or drawing of the mechanism.........no luck.

Anyone has any idea on what is holding it in or a picture of one?

thank you.

Should just be a tab, that will turn about 90* when the screw is turned.
How long has it been since the radio has been removed? May just be some crap in the threads. I had one that was sticky like that once, and eventually, after trying everthing I could think of, I removed the radio below it, so I could watch the tab as I turned the screw. I found that when the screw got tight, I still needed to give it a few more turns, and the tab pushed the radio out a little, then spun round 90* then I could just slide it out. Once I got it out, I found that one of the screws holding the tray to instrument panel was the culprit. (it was slightly cockeyed, and binding the radio)

The turning of the screw, should push the radio out of the tray a little ways, then it should slide right out.

Sometimes the tab gets stuck. Is it on the top or the bottom of the radio?

Sometimes the tab gets stuck. Is it on the top or the bottom of the radio?

i have an Appolo gps under it.
i can turn (unscrew)the set screw until it gets tight but i get no motion on the radio....i was expecting it to sort of "pop out a little"?

i have an Appolo gps under it.
i can turn (unscrew)the set screw until it gets tight but i get no motion on the radio....i was expecting it to sort of "pop out a little"?

The tightness is the tab beginning to push against the tray. The unit should come out slightly as you continue to turn the screw.

The tightness is the tab beginning to push against the tray. The unit should come out slightly as you continue to turn the screw.

I was told not to force it.Any chance of damaging anything by unscrewing it further?

I was told not to force it.Any chance of damaging anything by unscrewing it further?

I suppose you could strip it. I might try grabbing the faceplate area of the unit and pulling in it gently while turning the screw to see if that helps break it loose.

Does removing the radio above and/or below get you a grip around it better? Turn the screw CW till snug then back off CWW a couple turns. The wiggle the radio side-to-side and pull out abd turn screw CCW more and repeat.

Does removing the radio above and/or below get you a grip around it better? Turn the screw CW till snug then back off CWW a couple turns. The wiggle the radio side-to-side and pull out abd turn screw CCW more and repeat.

i get a good grip but it will not move at all.

Scroll down to page 23, (bottom of page 22):

http://www.extraaircraft.com/docs/tech-manuals/MM400/23r3.pdf

I would continue to turn the screw untill the radio moves.
You can remove your Apollo unit, and might be able to see what's going on with the locking tab. The tab is on the bottom of the unit (kx155) at the rear (farthest from you). You won't be able to reach behind it to "help" it along, as the backplate is a solid part.

Last edited:
Scroll down to page 23, (bottom of page 22):

http://www.extraaircraft.com/docs/tech-manuals/MM400/23r3.pdf

I would continue to turn the screw untill the radio moves.
You can remove your Apollo unit, and might be able to see what's going on with the locking tab. The tab is on the bottom of the unit (kx155) at the rear (farthest from you). You won't be able to reach behind it to "help" it along, as the backplate is a solid part.

That is what I thought,but I was told not to put excessive pressure.
I'll research on how to remove the apollo.
Thanks

CCW until tight, push left and right on the radio, CCW more and repeat. some are much more difficult to get free.

well........
I got it out...............
Removed the gps unit under it and saw that the radio tray had a bend in it.
After prying on the latch it slid out.........
removed the lens.........saw that i broke the display
it cracked on the nav side.
I think that will run me around 350-450.......
I'll see what a used one will cost.
I like to have one with a glideslope

Lookin' at close to $2k for a used 12v unit with gs. A couple hundred more with indicator. YMMV.

Back