Removing a valve from oxygen tank

apilotb

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ApilotB
I am trying to remove the valve from my aluminum oxygen tank and replace it with a better one. Every instruction I have seen online says to hold the tank and turn the valve with a wrench. But that is not so easy because the cylinder is round and has no place for gripping. Instructions also say not to place the tank in a vise, which makes sense because it is made of aluminum. Anyone has ideas on how this can be done?

Strap wrench, and be incredibly careful. Keep in mind that most pipe sealants are not approved for oxygen service, potentially because they can spontaneously combust, which is a bad thing at X thousand PSI. Same with any lubricant or cleaning substance left in the valve. High pressure oxygen is dangerous.

You should also be checking the hydrostatic test date. If the tank needs to be tested again, the shop that does it can replace that valve for you, and they'll have the correct materials.

I would suggest the scuba shop route. It won’t cost much and they have the skills and tools there.

What the others are saying.

hydrotest is important and the right tools are needed. If your wrench slips off the valve and you marr it in any way the valve is junk. Once you replace the valve it needs a hydrotest anyway.

we don’t have many dive shops around here but there are shops that do cly work.

You should also be checking the hydrostatic test date. If the tank needs to be tested again, the shop that does it can replace that valve for you, and they'll have the correct materials.
I don't have experience with scuba shops. They may be just as fine, but I have a local welding shop that also tests, repairs and refills and O2 tanks. That is definitely where I would take it because like @Let'sgoflying! said:
I will mess with a lot of things, but a bomb is not one of them.

Gas supply places (mostly cater to the welding crowd but also do medical) can service your tanks better than a dive shop.

Take it to a dive shop....for $30 they can hydro test it and replace your valve. One of the cheapest things in aviation.

Once a tank is zeroed, in many cases it is supposed to be properly purged before refilling to remove impurities/trash/water vapor which normally exists in ambient air.

I don't think that is the case. It certainly isn't for SCUBA tanks.
Hydros are done with the valve off, so the valve isn't tested in a hydro.

You are right, the valve comes out for the hydro.

I am trying to remove the valve from my aluminum oxygen tank and replace it with a better one. Every instruction I have seen online says to hold the tank and turn the valve with a wrench. But that is not so easy because the cylinder is round and has no place for gripping. Instructions also say not to place the tank in a vise, which makes sense because it is made of aluminum. Anyone has ideas on how this can be done?

I did this a while back in my lab, but not oxygen. Its not easy turning the valve with a wrench while holding the cylinder with the other hand. Even a strap wrench didn't help. What I ended up doing was to insert the valve body into a bench vise, and then rotating the cylinder with both hands. Make sure the the tank is totally empty before doing this. If you hear any hissing sound, stop.

Take it to a fire extinguisher shop... cheap, easy, fast... not as gnarly as the dive shops around here.

Paul

Back