Remote Engine Heater Controller

JohnWF

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John at Salida
This might be a bit 'crazy' but I want to be able to (CHEAPLY) turn on my engine heater from the house if I am going to fly and the temps are low.

The commercial ones I looked at don't meet my (cheap) view of things. So I am going to experiment by using an old cell phone I have on hand, a CLAPPER device that you probably have seen on TV, and a relay I have on hand.

The CLAPPER can only handle 200-Watts per outlet, so I am going to place the cell phone near the CLAPPER, and have the CLAPPER'S outlet energize the coil of a beefy 120-Volt relay that will switch 120 from the hangar's electric system to the engine heater.

Won't need to 'clap' in certain sequences since the unit can be set to activate on any one sound.
Won't be out much it doesn't work. Your LOL view?

And the clapper is going to do what when the phone rings? By the time you get a phone that has a decent speaker and the auto answer capability, you've probably already spent more money than a GSM Auto (this is the same baseline unit that the guy who keeps stumping his product uses). I bought one of these and wired up a plug and socket (and had grab a cellular remote antenna I had anyhow as my hangar was all metal and once the door was shut, no cell coverage). I don't think I spent more than $150 on the whole setup.

The problem is your system is of dubious use if you don't get feedback that it actually turned on. Your clapper misses the call or mishears the claps and you get there and you're going to have a stone cold engine.

My original system wasn't even remote. I bought a cheap 7-day timer and line voltage (mechanical) thermostat from Home Despot. On any Friday, Saturday, or Sunday early morning when the temperature was below 45, the tannis was energized. This was so dirt simple and cheap, the cell phone interface was practically a step backward.

You can also go over to one of the big box stores and buy a plug that turns on when the temp goes below 45 or 35 deg. Costs about $15

If I had had wifi, I'd have had more options. I barely had cellular coverage there.

Now I have a heated hangar so it's all pretty much moot. Anybody want the GSM Auto?

I want to be able to (CHEAPLY) turn on my engine heater from the house if I am going to fly and the temps are low
What's the distance to the hangar?
Is hangar in line of sight to house?
Steel panel hangar?
What brand engine heater?
Define "cheap."

Last edited:
I bought a little heater thingie that turns itself on when it gets cold and turns itself off when it gets hot. It sits in the engine bay, and I seal it off with cowl flaps and blankets. It basically keeps the whole engine bay at about 70 degrees all the time. It never gets to hot that you can't hold it in your hand. Significantly less than 0.5 AMUs.

You can also go over to one of the big box stores and buy a plug that turns on when the temp goes below 45 or 35 deg. Costs about $15

******** that's a good idea.

I have the http://switchboxcontrol.com/unit. Works great. I mean, it costs, what, two hours of fuel? And there are Chinese knockoffs all over Amazon that work just as well.

If the temp-sensitive outlet idea falls through, just buy the SMS control box. They work great.

:EDIT: I guess it's not THAT good of an idea. You really don't want your engine heater on all winter when you fly it once per month.

Back