Remote Airport: where would you get your winds prior to landing?

Steam, smoke, blowing snow, ripples on the water, big flags, and that's just a few ways off the top of my head. Lots of ways to see which way the wind is blowing.

Elephants and/or camels pointed away from the wind? Of course it would depend on how remote that desert strip was.

Just call a 20 mile final for whichever runway is most convenient. Make the wind your *****.

blowing sand?
If you see that, it's best to divert. Lots of terrain and high winds don't make for a good combination.

Blowing sand isn't that common. It requires a source for the sand. Without that, whatever sand that can blow away did so a long time ago, forming "desert pavement."

Windyty.com takes this to a new level... you can pick altitude (or surface) and even time (slider at bottom)
Never confuse a forecast with an observation. That website is totally useless for a "Do I land here now?" decision. And it does not resolve terrain on the scales necessary.

If there is one. The airport in question is unattended.
Exactly. Seems a lot of folks are responding in generalities without bothering to look up the airport in question.

L61 is not manned. There is no FBO. There is no appreciable city nearby. If you look for a METAR/TAF in ForeFlight, it gives you INS, which is 47nm away.

For the OP: you might first try to call the airport manager (number listed in AFD or on airnav.com) in advance and just ask about prevailing wind patterns. You could call the restaurant that is near the airport and ask (number is listed in ForeFlight).

I would compare the METARs for INS, LAS, NID and DAG to see if there is an appreciable difference. That will give you the best idea in advance, but ultimately you will want to overfly the field to confirm.

Hope that helps.

Correct. Surface fiction changes the direction.
Yes, but the 30 deg thing is for mesoscale winds over featureless terrain. With terrain, it may just follow it. Or not. There are some serious mountains around Shoshone, though the airport itself is at low elevation.

Yes, but the 30 deg thing is for mesoscale winds over featureless terrain. With terrain, it may just follow it. Or not. There are some serious mountains around Shoshone, though the airport itself is at low elevation.
Totally agree. The bigger point being that you can't really rely on winds aloft to know what the surface winds will be.

Never confuse a forecast with an observation. That website is totally useless for a "Do I land here now?" decision. And it does not resolve terrain on the scales necessary.
Agreed about an observation being best. But do your homework on Windyty. It was created by a pilot. It uses realtime data from NOAA, NWS, and other agencies. It utilizes metars from all reporting airports and reported public and private data. Press "enter" to get into the detailed reports. It reports and forecasts at AGL 1k, 2, 2.5, 3,5,8 and FL100+. The OP ask where a pilot might get "my best surface winds picture prior to overflying". I'd have to say this is a good source, and should provide enough information to pick a runway, short of an observation or some sort of realtime report. That being said, we've all seen winds shift dramatically everywhere.

If you see that, it's best to divert. Lots of terrain and high winds don't make for a good combination.

Blowing sand isn't that common. It requires a source for the sand. Without that, whatever sand that can blow away did so a long time ago, forming "desert pavement."

That's just when you need to be "really good really brave pilot" as the villagers say.

Back