Remember to recycle your oil changes immediately

nyoung

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Nathan young
Tip... Remember to recycle the used oil from your oil change ASAP.

If not... you may find that while you are pre-flighting... Your 3 yr old daughter has decided to play in the bucket of used oil. :mad2:

At least she did not drink it!!!

If not... you may find that while you are pre-flighting... Your 3 yr old daughter has decided to play in the bucket of used oil. :mad2:

:eek:

Yikes.... guess I'd better go remove my few gallons of yuck...

But --- aren't they so cute when they look at you that that, "Who? me?" look? :eek:

YIKES!!!

Did the high pressure washer washer set on engine clean at the local car wash clean her off? :D:D

There is a picture somewhere of my brother after his encounter with the bucket that the neighbor used to discard the grease he would wipe off while lubing his construction equipment :rofl:

Lol I just disposed of 4 gallons of used motorcycle oil. Probably had at least 3 years worth of old oil in the basement.

Lol I just disposed of 4 gallons of used motorcycle oil. Probably had at least 3 years worth of old oil in the basement.
I try not to build up too much oil anymore - its a PITA to get rid of a bunch. I had about 60 quarts last year....Had to run all over town to get rid of it. Everyone has limits.

I try not to build up too much oil anymore - its a PITA to get rid of a bunch. I had about 60 quarts last year....Had to run all over town to get rid of it. Everyone has limits.

My airport uses waste oil to heat the hangar.

Now, does anyone know where I can get rid of three gallons of water-oil mixture I pulled out of an Oldsmobile with a blown intake manifold gasket? It looks like chocolate milk. I thought it would separate but it hasn't yet. It's been months.

Now, does anyone know where I can get rid of three gallons of water-oil mixture I pulled out of an Oldsmobile with a blown intake manifold gasket? It looks like chocolate milk. I thought it would separate but it hasn't yet. It's been months.

I have a bucket of a mixture of water and motor oil in my garage. Head-gasket blew and dumped the entire oil content into a deep snow-pack in my friends yard. I shoveled the contaminated snow into a big bucket and waited for spring. Now spring is here and I am wondering what to do with it.

Could you put the mixture in a metal container and heat it on a hot plate? Once the mixture gets near the boiling point of water, the water should evaporate leaving the oil behind.

BTW, I do not know if this would actually work, but I think it should as I think the H20 is suspended in the oil vs being chemically bound to it.

Last, if you try this, please do it outdoors and away from open flames and flammable objects!

Could you put the mixture in a metal container and heat it on a hot plate? Once the mixture gets near the boiling point of water, the water should evaporate leaving the oil behind.

BTW, I do not know if this would actually work, but I think it should as I think the H20 is suspended in the oil vs being chemically bound to it.

Last, if you try this, please do it outdoors and away from open flames and flammable objects!

But if you did that in an open area and it caught fire, that would get rid of the oil, wouldn't it? :devil:

Can't you just burn it with the rest of the oil? If you mix it in with the rest it would dilute out the water and should burn, I would think. Especially if the hangar heater has a 100 gallon tank or larger. I suppose you could put a little in a bowl and try to light it. If it burns with 50% water it should burn with 1% water.

If give my oil to an auto garage that heats with the old oil. I would bet they see their share of oil like yours.

Barb

Can't you just burn it with the rest of the oil? If you mix it in with the rest it would dilute out the water and should burn, I would think. Especially if the hangar heater has a 100 gallon tank or larger. I suppose you could put a little in a bowl and try to light it. If it burns with 50% water it should burn with 1% water.

If give my oil to an auto garage that heats with the old oil. I would bet they see their share of oil like yours.

Barb

I called and asked. He wanted nothing to do with it. I really can't blame him. On the other hand, I like the boiling idea, but I think I'll do it over an open flame. I've got a fire going in the back yard now. If it does burn, problem is solved. The fire is pretty far away from everything.

Hmmph. Bet it was a GM 3800 Series II V-6. Grumble, Grumble. I trust you didn't use DexCool again, did you?

Emulsions aren't quite the same as separate oil and water. While the two phases are not directly chemically bound there is something which stabilizes the emulsion. The surfactants used in automotive engine oil seem to be quite good at creating stable emulsions.

The viscosity of an emulsion can be sufficiently different from used engine oil that burning it in a heater could be a problem. At the very least the heat output of the heater would be significantly reduced by the water. There are two reasons for that. The first reason is the reduced fuel rate and the second is the latent heat of water vaporization.

:eek:) I was in my 50s when a elderly man came into my camera store and asked, "Is there someone here by the name of Lawreston Crute?" Very few people during my retail career knew "Lawreston," only "Jerry."

I knew the guest had to be from somewhere close to back home in Knox County; so I smiled and queried, "And who might like to know?"

"The man who pumped out your stomach, boy."

"Fred Dennison! For heaven's sake; I haven't seen you for 40 years or more." Dr. Dennison was a fixture, had spent his entire medical career in Thomaston, ME. His mind had not forgotten the Vinal's Dairy one pint, glass milk bottle(remember those glass milk containers?) from which a certain less than 3 year old had consumed its contents of kerosene.

When I sump my tanks the avgas goes into a Cain's mayonnaise jar which gets tightly screw-capped until I recycle it back into my tanks.

- - - a side note to the glass milk bottles. Painter Andy Wyeth lived(summers) near me in Cushing. Andy once claimed that he was the failure in the family. His brother, Nathaniel, had discovered/perfected, while with DuPont Chemical, the chemical secret which allowed carbonated beverages, milk, and certain other liquid consumables to be bottled and marketed in plastic containers. Prior to that development there was some chemical reaction which would curdle milk and also preclude carbonated beverages from being in anything but glass containers.

Andy claimed that Nathaniel Wyeth would have more daily effect on the world's population than would ever have the occasion to have close interaction with, or ownership of, a Wyeth painting.

HR

I called and asked. He wanted nothing to do with it. I really can't blame him. On the other hand, I like the boiling idea, but I think I'll do it over an open flame. I've got a fire going in the back yard now. If it does burn, problem is solved. The fire is pretty far away from everything.

Has anybody heard from Steve?! :rofl:

Would like to know what his results were.

Has anybody heard from Steve?! :rofl:

Would like to know what his results were.

I'm not in the hospital suffering from burns, if that's the question :D

The mixture is still in the garage, waiting for a pot. For some odd reason, my wife didn't want me using her soup pot to boil my oil.

Actually you can take water contaminated oil to Autozone, Checkers, etc and they will dump in in with all the rest...when the re-cycling process begins the first processes are (a)strain out the chunks and (b) pop the entrained water...
We have (at DTN) a nice refuse oil tank a few hunderd yards from my new hanger...in addition to the oil you can find old oil filters, old air iflters and used safety wire in the intake "box". There is also a lid that people leave open all the time that allows rain to enter the tank.
The Company that owns the tank would have said something way before now (10 years on I'm told) if all these things bothered the re-cycling process.

JMOP and YMMV
Chris

Back