Remember to check NOTAMs

FBO: You tore that pilot's wing off.

Action Jackson Snowplow Driver: So? He had a spare.

Who has the right of way,I always thought the snow plow was in the right.

Who has the right of way,I always thought the snow plow was in the right.

Airport close, you land at your own peril.

Airport open, aircraft landing have right of way over aircraft and anything else on the ground.

No matter what the right of way rule is, it behooves you to make sure you don't hit anything.

Some airport have prior permission NOTAMS so that they can get the equipment off the runway. I don't know about Telluride today.

Some airport have prior permission NOTAMS so that they can get the equipment off the runway. I don't know about Telluride today.

Well now it just says 9-27 is closed. Don't know if that's what it said before or it's as a result of the wreck.

Forget NOTAMS...how about not being a dumb arse and just using basic radio communication.

"...and the pilot did not radio into the airport base before landing"

And the airport manager was quickly out there checking to see if he had a hush kit installed.

Radios?

The runway was closed.

Sometimes runways are closed except for prior permission (obtained on the radio). Don't know if that was the case there today.

Can't the wayback machine tell us if it was closed prior, due to snow removal (or if someone goofed and it wasn't notamed)
or after, due to er.. fod on the runway?

as far as a news report saying the pilot did not radio in, ha. How many times have I called unicom/fbo and gotten no response. Oh, wait - that happened to me today again.

12376051_10205547168379586_3601758816559991446_n.jpg

Can't the wayback machine tell us if it was closed prior, due to snow removal (or if someone goofed and it wasn't notamed)
or after, due to er.. fod on the runway?

as far as a news report saying the pilot did not radio in, ha. How many times have I called unicom/fbo and gotten no response. Oh, wait - that happened to me today again.

My guess is that plane has/had a CVR....

If the crew didn't delete the conversation...:redface:

Accident was at 2:15 pm according to this.

The Hawker Beechjet 400, registered out of Mexico, originated out of El Paso, Texas with five passengers and two crewmembers on board when it landed at 2:15 p.m., struck a snowplow and slid off the runway, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

The occupants were Mexican citizens traveling to Telluride for vacation, the Sheriff’s Office said.

Airport officials told Sheriff Deputies the runway was closed for snow removal maintenance at the time of the landing and the airport operator reportedly did not receive any radio communication from the pilot prior to the aircraft’s landing.

http://kdvr.com/2015/12/23/plane-with-7-aboard-crashes-into-snow-plow-at-telluride-airport/

Houston................

WE have a problem...:redface:

We don't know unless we can find a source for historical NOTAMS. There could have been a previous one... but then they wouldn't have needed to put out another one.

It could also have been a reissued NOTAM with a revised end time. Lots of possibilities.

Last edited:
Houston................

WE have a problem...:redface:

Hmmm

The occupants were Mexican citizens traveling to Telluride for vacation, the Sheriff’s Office said.

image.jpg

I hope they cleared customer before that crash, because Telluride ain't a AOE...

Forget NOTAMS...how about not being a dumb arse and just using basic radio communication.

"...and the pilot did not radio into the airport base before landing"

:lol::lol::lol:

Not trying to be an a hole, but WTH is an airport base and what kind of radio call would be made..???

"Oh airport base, a fast and expensive plane is landing, instructions please...and tell everyone to get off the runway..."

Not trying to be an a hole, but WTH is an airport base and what kind of radio call would be made..???

How about "Telluride Traffic, Hawker 123 on a 4 mile final for runway 27, Telluride"?

I read that quote as no CTAF call were made on approach...and if they were, I would hope that ground ops or FBO would have replied back that the runway was closed and being actively plowed. KTEX CTAF and Unicom are same frequency which is common at small fields.

Closed or not...I would hope ground ops is monitoring the radio as well if they are on the runway.

Lucky they did not kill someone for not following basic uncontrolled field communication procedures.

If you fly NORDO by choice you deserve to hit a plow in my opinion.

Last edited:
Sometimes runways are closed except for prior permission (obtained on the radio). Don't know if that was the case there today.

Yup.

I made a low approach over Ed Nelson at KSNY once to get his attention after someone else answered the CTAF and said he was on the runway plowing snow.

He'd just forgotten to turn the radio back up in the snowplow.

Asked him how long he needed and he said the runway was fine, he was just working on the taxiway exits and he'd be off by the time we went around the pattern.

Said he needed to refill his coffee anyway (and he figured we needed fuel and he'd have to switch trucks anyway).

My passengers thought it was a hoot that we were "... talking to the guy in the snowplow or we never would have gotten down!" They thought I was some kind of super pilot. Hah.

Of course Ed's actually the super pilot, but they didn't know what he'd done in his Pitts over the years. I did but they wouldn't get it anyway if I listed his accomplishments.

Nor mentioned that back then he was busting his butt flying the FedEx Caravan out by night and back, and then managing an airport by day. I doubt he had more than four hours of sleep at a time in years back then. Especially when it snowed.

I'm sure the nice folks at TEX would have pulled off the runway for a jet fuel sale as long as they'd gotten it clean enough. But if you don't talk to them and ram their snowplow, well... y'all see the results.

Impressive how much of a beating the Beechjet can take and stay in one piece, eh? Poor thing.

Last edited:
The jet has suspicious paint similar to a Net Jets scheme....

And.... I would like to see a couple of pics of the poor plow and how it fared in this fiasco...

Probably gonna need to clean out the plow drivers underwear too...:yikes::redface:

Caveats: I don't fly where it snows, and I don't fly big jets. Now that that's out of the way, NOTAMS aside, shouldn't you notice there's a plow on the runway and/or the runways covered in snow at some point before you land?

Yup.

I made a low approach over Ed Nelson at KSNY once to get his attention after someone else answered the CTAF and said he was on the runway plowing snow.

He'd just forgotten to turn the radio back up in the snowplow.

Asked him how long he needed and he said the runway was fine, he was just working on the taxiway exits and he'd be off by the time we went around the pattern.

Said he needed to refill his coffee anyway (and he figured we needed fuel and he'd have to switch trucks anyway).

My passengers thought it was a hoot that we were "... talking to the guy in the snowplow or we never would have gotten down!" They thought I was some kind of super pilot. Hah.

Of course Ed's actually the super pilot, but they didn't know what he'd done in his Pitts over the years. I did but they wouldn't get it anyway if I listed his accomplishments.

Nor mentioned that back then he was busting his butt flying the FedEx Caravan out by night and back, and then managing an airport by day. I doubt he had more than four hours of sleep at a time in years back then. Especially when it snowed.

I'm sure the nice folks at TEX would have pulled off the runway for a jet fuel sale as long as they'd gotten it clean enough. But if you don't talk to them and ram their snowplow, well... y'all see the results.

Impressive how much of a beating the Beechjet can take and stay in one piece, eh? Poor thing.
Did you know there is a new FBO in Sidney? New building and everything. It's not run by Ed, but the new guys were friendly and helpful. Not sure what happened there. I heard from some other pilots at the FBO that Ed is still an American Champion dealer.

Did you know there is a new FBO in Sidney? New building and everything. It's not run by Ed, but the new guys were friendly and helpful. Not sure what happened there. I heard from some other pilots at the FBO that Ed is still an American Champion dealer.

Hmm. Wasn't there last time I was up there. Ed was there and seemed as happy and "Ed-ish" as ever.

I was under the impression the old setup was that the city owned it and Ed managed it, so maybe they've "discovered" private FBO ownership in western NE. ;)

Hmm. Wasn't there last time I was up there. Ed was there and seemed as happy and "Ed-ish" as ever.

I was under the impression the old setup was that the city owned it and Ed managed it, so maybe they've "discovered" private FBO ownership in western NE. ;)
Could be. Pretty sure it's a private FBO. Here's the listing from Airnav.

https://www.airnav.com/airport/KSNY/LL

The building is very nice and and a big improvement from the old quarters, especially if you need to sit there for any length of time.

The staff was great to us. Someone even answered the phone after hours the evening before we went since I needed to ask some questions.

When I stopped by in June, Ed told me that he was being forced out. He said something to the effect that someone thought that he was making a ton of money and they convinced the powers to be to get rid of him. He was planning on moving to a near by airport, don't know if that happened or not.

When I stopped by in June, Ed told me that he was being forced out. He said something to the effect that someone thought that he was making a ton of money and they convinced the powers to be to get rid of him. He was planning on moving to a near by airport, don't know if that happened or not.

Looks like there was an RFP for running the FBO last spring.

http://www.cityofsidney.org/documentcenter/view/494

I finally found the FAA archive of NOTAMS. The old notam was simply

!TEX 12/100 TEX RWY 09/27 CLSD 1512232126-1512232359

]

That's the same NOTAM someone else posted which came out at 2126Z. The accident took place at 2115Z.

http://www.asias.faa.gov/pls/apex/f...E,P96_MAKE_NAME,P96_FATAL_FLG:24-DEC-15,BEECH

Hmm... they did seem to make a pleathora of notams after the crass 99, 100, and 101 are all issued after 2115.

Here's he one that was in effect before the crash
!TEX 12/098 TEX RWY 09/27 CLSD 1512232050-1512232200

Earlier in the day they did have a PPR notam in effect
!TEX 12/093 TEX RWY 09/27 CLSD EXC 15 MIN PPR 123.000 1512231732-1512231833

Last edited:
That's the same NOTAM someone else posted which came out at 2126Z. The accident took place at 2115Z.

http://www.asias.faa.gov/pls/apex/f...E,P96_MAKE_NAME,P96_FATAL_FLG:24-DEC-15,BEECH

Hmm... they did seem to make a pleathora of notams after the crass 99, 100, and 101 are all issued after 2115.

Here's he one that was in effect before the crash
!TEX 12/098 TEX RWY 09/27 CLSD 1512232050-1512232200

Earlier in the day they did have a PPR notam in effect
!TEX 12/093 TEX RWY 09/27 CLSD EXC 15 MIN PPR 123.000 1512231732-1512231833
If there was a NOTAM out before the accident it is surprising that ATC didn't ask the pilots if they had it. I recently flew into an airport with a PPR NOTAM (twice), and ATC asked both times if we had that particular NOTAM. In fact it was Denver Center, who would also have been working the flight into Telluride.

Back