Reinstatement of my CFI

saddletramp

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
saddletramp
As I posted last fall, I'm back into the flying scene after a 22 year hiatus. I've had my CFI since I was 18 years old & worked as a full-time CFI on & off for 4+ years. I've also instructed on a part-time basis while I worked at other jobs.

Today, I made the firm decision to go ahead & put some effort & expense into reinstating my CFI. I'm not sure why I'm motivated to do this but think the reasons are two fold, first, I always loved instructing & feel I was pretty good at it, & second, I think instructing will be make me a more proficient pilot.

I've really wrestled with this decision over the last few months but after encouragement from my wife & others I've made the decision to go for it.

Thursday, I will get some dual from an experienced CFI to begin the process. I asked him treat me like a brand new CFI candidate & not cut me any slack despite my 2,500+ hours as a CFI. It will be an interesting journey. I also told him I want to be very proficient regardless of how much training I need.

I'm taking my check ride with my old mentor. He is a very experienced DE. He not only was my CFI for my Commercial, Instrument, and initial CFI I also worked for him as a CFI/135 pilot for numerous years.

I'll gladly share my experiences doing this but also wonder if anyone else has done a similar thing.

I've known others who reinstated their CFI after a long lapse. You'll probably find that you know more than you think. Probably not the case for you, but if you don't have all of your CFI ratings, now's a good time to add one as it reinstates any previous CFI ratings you may have had. That's what I did when I took my MEI checkride, although my CFI lapse was only a few years.

Good luck!

So you have to retake your check ride? You don't have to do so for the PPL.

Yeah, I looked that one up too. FAA 61.199:

• [Reinstatement requirements of an expired flight instructor certificate.]

• [(a) Flight instructor certificates. The holder of an expired flight instructor certificate who has not complied with the flight instructor renewal requirements of Sec. 61.197 may reinstate that flight instructor certificate and ratings by filing a completed and signed application with the FAA and satisfactorily completing one of the following reinstatement requirements:
    (1) A flight instructor certification practical test, as prescribed by Sec. 61.183(h), for one of the ratings held on the expired flight instructor certificate.
    (2) A flight instructor certification practical test for an additional rating.]

I've known others who reinstated their CFI after a long lapse. You'll probably find that you know more than you think. Probably not the case for you, but if you don't have all of your CFI ratings, now's a good time to add one as it reinstates any previous CFI ratings you may have had. That's what I did when I took my MEI checkride, although my CFI lapse was only a few years.

Good luck!

I'm considering my CFIMEL but never took the Commercial check ride MEL. So wouldn't I have to take that check ride first? That's how it was for my CFI Glider.

I am in a club that has a nice Seneca for muti-training. Maybe I should reconsider that. Maybe it could be one check ride for both.

A CFI certificate has an expiration date, so unlike a pilot certificate or instrument rating, you can't just go out and "get current", you have to reinstate an expired certificate.

You don't have to take a checkride for each CFI rating, however...one checkride and you get all of your previous CFI privileges back.

I'm considering my CFIMEL but never took the Commercial check ride MEL. So wouldn't I have to take that check ride first? That's how it was for my CFI Glider.

I am in a club that has a nice Seneca for muti-training. Maybe I should reconsider that. Maybe it could be one check ride for both.

You could do the CMEL check ride, accumulate 15 hours of AMEL PIC time, then take the CFI-AME checkride. You would then reinstate whatever other ratings you previously had on your expired CFI certificate.

If you're gonna do a bunch of flying anyway, this might not be a bad way to go. Just depends on what you want to do, really. 25 hours TT in make and model for instructing is not uncommon, so you'd have that after doing the two check rides.

Hey Saddletramp,

Well? Are you CFI-ing again? I am in the same boat. Instructed hard for about 2 years when career and family dictated different vectors. Before I knew it, it had been 20 years since I logged a flight. In 2014, after a detailed and thorough flight review, I regained currency. I started flying fairly frequently at a local FBO, then started flying some commercial stuff (aerial surveys, scenic rides, etc.) for them. I have a lot of tail wheel time, and the manager of the FBO asked if I would consider re-upping my CFI and doing some work in that arena for them. I think I am going to do it.

the manager of the FBO asked if I would consider re-upping my CFI and doing some work in that arena for them. I think I am going to do it.

See if they'll pay for it, or at least give you a discount on the plane. ;)

Good luck to both of you gentlemen.

See if they'll pay for it, or at least give you a discount on the plane. ;)

Good luck to both of you gentlemen.

Hey thanks, mscard88...actually he did offer to pay for it, quite an opportunity to be sure. I just don't quite know where to begin, actually. I downloaded FOI and PPL PTS. Guess I'll grill myself on those and the ACS, and start doing some air work with the CFI's who currently work there. I have to add that things have changed dramatically since I was actively pursing the game. Maybe just perspective since I am now "The Old Guy" at the airport. Not that that means anything you understand....

Hey thanks, mscard88...actually he did offer to pay for it, quite an opportunity actually. I just don't quite know where to begin actually. I downloaded FOI and PPL PTS. Guess I'll grill myself on those and the ACS, and start doing some air work with the CFI's who currently work there. I have to add that things have changed dramatically since I was actively pursing the game. Maybe just perspective since I am now "The Old Guy" at the airport. Not that that means anything you understand....

But I do understand! I'm 68 and started back doing a little instruction last year after being at an airline for 24 years. Yes a lot has changed. I think you'll find maneuvers and teaching them will come back quickly. Book work is bookwork, ya gotta catch up. Tons of videos out there. AOPA has good ones, many free if you're a nonmember. Good luck!

Hey Saddletramp,

Well? Are you CFI-ing again?

I've done a few flight reviews & one high performance endorsement. I've been asked to instruct by numerous FBOs & a few aircraft owners. That's not really what I want to do. Thus far, I've been very selective who I fly with.

I just committed to buying a two-place glider last weekend. I'm planning to use my 182 as a tow plane & give glider rides & instruction in the glider. I've been a CFIG since the late 70's & when I decided to do something in aviation again, instructing in gliders was something I really enjoyed.

I don't plan to make any money at it but it should self fund. I bought the 182 & glider for cash so I'll start with no debt.

Sounds like a good plan, you got a engine analyzer for the 182?

Who is going to do the towing?

Dad nab it! I knew I forgot something! Thanks for ruining my dream.

Actually, I have some guys lined up. Some of them have experience towing while others will need a check out. So far, I've had a ton of volunteers. I bought a tricycle so the pilot pool would be larger.

Big Brother knows all, sees all.

Your nieces weren't they, and you put them up to it, and even gave them the beer I drank. Man that's just wrong to set your fella POAer up like that! :raspberry::raspberry::raspberry:

Your nieces weren't they, and you put them up to it, and even gave them the beer I drank. Man that's just wrong to set your fella POAer up like that! :raspberry::raspberry::raspberry:
Not nieces, they we're "hired." LOL You got me ! I cannot tell a lie! :) Not a setup though, but a test. Did you pass or fail it?

Not nieces, they we're "hired." LOL You got me ! I cannot tell a lie! :) Not a setup though, but a test. Did you pass or fail it?

You tell me. Appears someone was drinking beer and flying....;)

Back