Reid Hillview FBO / Transient?

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
Flying So Cal to Reid Hillview for lunch today in SR22. Any suggestions on parking (FBO? Transient)? Also, any recommendations on really fun lunch places (off airport OK...have a ride).

Thanks, POA Memebers!

Reid has transient parking. Odds are, a normal landing and pull off will put it right in front of you. Ground will give you the really short progressives if you ask. It's in front of the terminal and CAP buildings marked on the taxi diagram.

There is a mall just south of the airport and a lot of less common Asian food around the area ( I just had some Indian gelato yesterday -- it was ... different).

If the weather allows, there is MUCH better food at Half Moon Bay, south of the airport.

I live near Reid-Hillview, but can't think of any "fun" lunch places in the Evergreen area. It's mostly typical fast food places (In-N-Out, etc).

If you weren't set on KRHV, and enjoy good pizza, I'd suggest going up to the San Ramon area (not sure of the closest airport) and checking out Zachary's pizza - really awesome Chicago style pizza.

If you had to stay in KRHV area...I'm drawing a blank on any special lunch places around here I'd go out of my way for. Sorry, not much help.

Nearest airports to San Ramon are Livermore and Concord, neither of which is that close. Good airport food around the Bay can best be found at Half Moon Bay and San Carlos (Izzy's -- good steaks). Sort of around Livermore (I don't care for Beeb's, but Cattlemen's is pretty good).

I always use Nice Air. They have great service and have cars on site. They can get you into a car in 10 minutes (rental car). They own the cars.

I fly in to RHV a lot but I normally have someone picking me up, so eating locally isn't an issue. Anything "decent" is not within walking distance.

I fly in to RHV a lot but I normally have someone picking me up, so eating locally isn't an issue. Anything "decent" is not within walking distance.

Well, I discovered this weekend that there is a regular "food truck" event Saturday evenings on the east side of the mall, next to the bus station. Some of those are kinda interesting. Moderately long walk from transient parking, though (it's under right base for 3!R).

Well, I discovered this weekend that there is a regular "food truck" event Saturday evenings on the east side of the mall, next to the bus station. Some of those are kinda interesting. Moderately long walk from transient parking, though (it's under right base for 3!R).

I'm not there on the weekends. Just some weekdays for work.

I'm curious where the OP went to lunch?

Thanks, all! Had a wonderful flight. Loved KRHV...surprisingly big...hundreds of GA aircraft.

Posts above were correct...not much in the way of food except for fast food nearby. Since I had a ride, my friends took me to "El Burro" in Campbell (Pruneyard). This was really fun, though at lesat 20 min drive.

So I guess the answer is great little airport, but get a ride or car. Interestingly, it looks like there used to be a restaurant overlooking the runways on the 2nd floor in the main building, probably a relic of the 70's or 80's when there were a lot more private pilots.

El Burro is not bad, but there are better Mexican restaurants around.

Do remember what Pruneyard looks like (especially the big black tower behind it), as it's a common VFR reporting point inside the SJC Class C.

If you want relics, there used to be a vibrant GA community at SJC, and the old 94th Aero Squadron was a block away from the Tower (and FSDO).

Someone please tell me why they picked a BLACK, relatively SHORT hi-rise for a visual reporting point??? Finding it during the day is hard. At night, it's damn impossible. Except during the holidays.

Interestingly, it looks like there used to be a restaurant overlooking the runways on the 2nd floor in the main building, probably a relic of the 70's or 80's when there were a lot more private pilots.

There are plenty of pilots based at RHV. What I've heard is that the reason for there being no restaurant in the terminal has to do with policies of the airport's owner (Santa Clara County).

There are plenty of pilots based at RHV. What I've heard is that the reason for there being no restaurant in the terminal has to do with policies of the airport's owner (Santa Clara County).

I believe that's it completely. The city and county want to tear that airport down big time. The last thing they want to do is issue anymore leases to anybody and heaven forbid- help the airport thrive.

IIRC, their desire is to tear down both Reid Hillview and Palo Alto and force all the "little planes" out to South County.

I believe that's it completely. The city and county want to tear that airport down big time. The last thing they want to do is issue anymore leases to anybody and heaven forbid- help the airport thrive.

IIRC, their desire is to tear down both Reid Hillview and Palo Alto and force all the "little planes" out to South County.

Neither Santa Clara County nor the City of San Jose have any say on whether Palo Alto Airport stays open, because it's owned (and now operated) by the City of Palo Alto.

Last edited:
Neither Santa Clara County not the City of San Jose have any say on whether Palo Alto Airport stays open, because it's owned (and now operated) by the City of Palo Alto.

Oh that's right! Didn't the city recently take over the airport? I think I remember it now. I hope the City of Palo Alto doesn't also want to close it.

Someone please tell me why they picked a BLACK, relatively SHORT hi-rise for a visual reporting point??? Finding it during the day is hard. At night, it's damn impossible. Except during the holidays.

What's the name for that? I think on my discovery flight, it was used as a point of reference, and the instructor kept telling me to look down at where it was, and I never did see that damn thing.

Being my first time in a GA airplane, I never realized how much harder it could be to spot landmarks. I never did see what they were referring to.

Oh that's right! Didn't the city recently take over the airport? I think I remember it now. I hope the City of Palo Alto doesn't also want to close it.

Well, since they took over, the runway has been re-paved, so that's a good sign!

What's the name for that? I think on my discovery flight, it was used as a point of reference, and the instructor kept telling me to look down at where it was, and I never did see that damn thing.

VPPRU. Enter it into your GPS and tell him "there it is".

El Burro is not bad, but there are better Mexican restaurants around.

Do remember what Pruneyard looks like (especially the big black tower behind it), as it's a common VFR reporting point inside the SJC Class C.

If you want relics, there used to be a vibrant GA community at SJC, and the old 94th Aero Squadron was a block away from the Tower (and FSDO).

94th Aero Squadron was the best! :goofy:
French Onion soup was fantastic

Back