Registration questions

When did the registration expire?

They just changed the term of the registration from 3 years to 7 years. And all existing registrations are extended.
November 30, 2022 but they still show it as expired. I don’t think the 7 year registration has taken effect yet.

it really is a simple solution. i let mine expire. i talked to a very nice lady in okc, that was the hard part, getting them on the phone. she had me send the paperwork with a cover letter saying that i had forgot to renew, and ask for expidited service. they emailed me a temp within 48 hrs and i had the new card within a week.

it really is a simple solution. i let mine expire. i talked to a very nice lady in okc, that was the hard part, getting them on the phone. she had me send the paperwork with a cover letter saying that i had forgot to renew, and ask for expidited service. they emailed me a temp within 48 hrs and i had the new card within a week.
That's what I would expect.

HELP!!!

How exactly did you get that very nice lady in OKC on the phone?

I need some help here...

My situation: I was shocked to receive postal mail from the FAA yesterday informing me my aircraft registration has EXPIRED (also a bit of a surprise: the bits about my N-Number was pending cancellation, and they wanted me to "return" to them my Airworthiness Certificate and last registration certificate...sheesh!)

Apparently my registration expired at the stroke of midnight on Halloween (October 31, 2022). Hrmfff. OK, so I go online, expecting to wave my credit card and get right with OKC. But no, it seems that option (online renewal) disappeared 60 days before it expired. So the only option is to start a new registration application. Oh god, it looks like they insist on everything on paper, mailed to them. Hrmfff. I gotta start from scratch and register it as if I just bought the thing?! The form says I have to provide "Evidence of Ownership"...a signed Bill of Sale....Whiskey Tango...?

I've owned this plane for over 20 years. Bill of Sale? The one from back 2001? Come on, did I wake up as a cockroach? Apparently!

The aircraft registration website, while fairly straightforward in the Old School FAA Way, is pretty clear: if your registration has expired, you need to use AC Form 8050-1 (their recorded info says the same), that's for new registrations. Really? There's a phone number on the bottom of the notice they sent me. I call it. A recorded message with a male voice starts rolling, basic stuff, their hours, etc...shortly into the recording, a different voice comes on (also a recording), in a quiet (almost whispering) woman's voice: "We are unable to take your call, please send email". The recorded message continues (in the original male voice), at the end it says you can send email to faa.aircraft.registry@faa.gov. It then says they process email in date-received order, and that they are currently processing messages that were received on/around June 28, 2022 - six months ago!

This is pretty insane.

FWIW I never saw any previous notification, six months ago, about re-registration (we have a lot of problems with postal mail "disappearing"). OK, that's on me, I missed the deadline, I want to make it right. In any case, this process seems awfully broken, even by the usual standards which I've come to expect.

I've called and called, it's pretty evident they're not answering that phone. Granted, it's the week between Christmas and New Years, and yes, it's cold and snowy in much of the country. Yes, I can (and will) try sending an email, but if they are to be believed, they have a SIX MONTH BACKLOG of unanswered email, so my expectations for a timely response are pretty low.

I can't be the only one who has fallen into this hole. Does it really require an act of congress AND a papal absolution to renew my expired registration? Are they going to "cancel" my N-Number, send someone to scratch the number off the side of my plane? (I just had it painted, I hope not).

How do I get this registration squared away, without having to drive to OKC? HEEEEEELLP!!!

Back