Registration problem

ateamer

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ateamer
First off, it’s my fault for not getting it done sooner. The reason doesn’t matter, I should have moved faster but didn’t.

I bought a plane, sent the registration application and bill of sale to the FAA. They kicked it back because the plane had been registered to “J D Company”, but the bill of sale was signed by “Joe Dokes”. “J D Company” is Joe Dokes - he’s the sole person involved in the business. They want documentation of ownership transfer from the company to him or his authority to sell the plane.

Meanwhile my wife was diagnosed and is going through cancer treatment. Being her caregiver has gotten me off course in several areas, including flying (haven’t flown in four months). It’s a reson but not an excuse. Either way months have passed since the transaction.

I spoke with the seller, explained the issue, sent him a copy of the FAA’s letter and asked him for a new bill of sale. He never followed through, and since then I’ve left multiple voicemails; his phone goes straight to VM.

What do I need to do to fix this and get the registration completed? Do I need an attorney, or is there an FAA process?

You're pretty much screwed until you get the seller to sign the thing right. The FAA is particular on how those things get signed off (rightfully, so, I'm dealing with another person who signed off a plane that was really in his wife's name). The FAA can give the precise verbiage they want.

If you can't get the guy to write it out right, you'll need to get an attorney to compel him (or recover your money). The FAA is not going to be involved here. There's no "process" to make people convey aircraft on their part.

It may not completely help you in your situation, but I’d suggest hiring one of the title companies to help out. They seem to be able to get things done quickly that would take average owners months to complete, if ever.

My friend and I employed them to help us get the registration squared away on an airplane we were importing; they got transport Canada to issue the paperwork we needed within a week that we had been trying to get them to issue for months.

You might try mailing him what you want him to sign with a "sign here" flag and a pre-paid return envelope. Make it really easy. And I hope that your wife has a full recovery.

Solved! I revived some dormant detective skills, found his wife's phone number and we are in contact. We'll redo the bill of sale and I'll get it to the FAA.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Solved! I revived some dormant detective skills, found his wife's phone number and we are in contact. We'll redo the bill of sale and I'll get it to the FAA.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Make sure its done correctly. You said “'J D Company' is Joe Dokes " at the beginning, which is not legally true. I've seen revolving doors when people thing that, taking multiple attempts before they get it right. @mondtster mentioned title company. That or a quick review by an attorney can usually save a lot of time and aggravation.

Edit: and even money.

Last edited:
Back