Redbull Air Race over

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
https://airrace.redbull.com/en/news...U6KiZl-4_L0lzfuCBrrNEdIMJnikjF8kVumyj5DjD2Jbs

Redbull is cancelling the redbull Air Race after the 2019 season. I'm so glad I was able to attend one of these races, but I'm deeply saddened I won't be able to attend anymore. I have to believe that they really spur on aviation growth to see air sports embraced by a large company and almost normalized like other racing sports.

Unfortunately the remainder of the races are abroad which rules out easy access to domestic ones. I wonder what the pilots will do? Join the aerobatics circuit? Go back to airline flying?

Last edited:
It's time for the "Monster Air Race" or the "Rockstar Air Race"!

Maybe the Race Pilots will become PPL Cfi's. lol

It's disappointing, but it must have been logistically and financially overwhelming. Glad it lasted as long as it did.
I believe most of the pilots are already accomplished aerobatic competitors and exhibitors?

Now may be the time to get a deal on a lightly used air race plane.

https://airrace.redbull.com/en/news...U6KiZl-4_L0lzfuCBrrNEdIMJnikjF8kVumyj5DjD2Jbs

Redbull is cancelling the redbull Air Race after the 2019 season. I'm so glad I was able to attend one of these races, but I'm deeply saddened I won't be able to attend anymore. I have to believe that they really spur on aviation growth to see air sports embraced by a large company and almost normalized like other racing sports.

Unfortunately the remainder of the races are abroad which rules out easy access to domestic ones. I wonder what the pilots will do? Join the aerobatics circuit? Go back to airline flying?
Sad to hear this. I count myself fortunate as well to have attended one. I was at the 2010 NYC race at Liberty State park in Jersey City, NJ.
The Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and lower Manhattan made a spectacular backdrop, with the orange, blue and white pylons in the Hudson river as they flew the race course!

I took some nice videos on my JVC Camcorder. After the race, they flew the winner, 2nd and 3rd place guys back to Liberty Island via helicopter, for the awards ceremony to receive their trophies. That was pretty cool to see as well. After they were done, they began signing autographs. I congratulated the winner, Paul Bonhomme.

That was an incredible experience.
Another bonus was a few other aircraft performances before the race began. One was Chuck Aaron doing his aerobatic routine in the Red Bull helicopter!!!

Last edited:
Personally I think there should be a cross country air race like the used to do back in the golden age. Sadly, even though Red Bull is over, now might be a time to start something like that. Have different classes like Jets, Pistons, Twins etc. and race a distance that would take a full day, or up to like 3 for different classes, just a thought

Back