Red Bull Stratos

Josh_C

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Josh_C
Is anyone else planning on watching the Stratos jump or has anyone been following the mission?

Red Bull Stratos, a mission to the edge of space, will attempt to transcend human limits that have existed for 50 years. Supported by a team of experts Felix Baumgartner plans to ascend to 120,000 feet in a stratospheric balloon and make a freefall jump rushing toward earth at supersonic speeds before parachuting to the ground. His attempt to dare atmospheric limits holds the potential to provide valuable medical and scientific research data for future pioneers.
Watch live here:
http://www.redbullstratos.com/live/

Countdown timer is at 50 minutes.

Streaming it now. I debated whether or not to head to Roswell to check it out, but I think we all have a better seat at home.

Good luck, Felix!!!

The mission is launched. If successful, Felix will be the first person to break the sound barrier without the use of an airplane. Currently at 30,000 feet and climbing.

God speed, Felix.

The mission is launched. If successful, Felix will be the first person to break the sound barrier without the use of an airplane. Currently at 30,000 feet and climbing.

God speed, Felix.

Didn't Joseph Kittinger break the sound barrier on his jump??

Just dug through the website, capsule 2,900 lbs
27628E35-0E97-4ACB-855B-11B4862D1E8F-2221-000003DC54813277.jpg

And balloon weighs 3,708

6D4591DF-B340-4652-BE3A-099136E3F976-2221-000003DC4CC837A5.jpg

-VanDy

-VanDy

He has set the record for the highest manned balloon flight, beating the previous record set in 1961 of 113,740 feet.

At least the size of the envelope at 127,800 feet.

Might be approaching the chuck Norris limit

nice! thanks for the link

Looks like he fell short of the longest freefall record and it looks like he hit about 729 mph so just short of Mach 1 (still waiting for official speed calc). But did set record for highest manned balloon flight and and highest parachute jump.

And best of all a safe and uneventful landing.

Way to go Felix!

Looked like he started spinning quite a bit, but he made a good recovery and walked through his touchdown like it was no big deal.
Well done- a very impressive jump!

Looks like he fell short of the longest freefall record and it looks like he hit about 729 mph so just short of Mach 1 (still waiting for official speed calc). But did set record for highest manned balloon flight and and highest parachute jump.

And best of all a safe and uneventful landing.

Way to go Felix!

I wonder if the tumbling might have slowed him down. Too bad, that was the part that excited me the most about this. Not that what he did was any less impressive, at all, this was the best few hours spent in front of a computer I've done in a very long time.

Anyone know what the planned altitude was to pull his chute? I thought the commentator said 5000 and he was 6800-ish actual. That might have made a diff on the free fall record.

I think he would have beat the free fall duration record if it wasnt for the face shield heat issue causing his mask to fog. I bet he was sweating bullets not being able to see anything or measure the time he'd been falling, but knowing the ground is coming fast.

Anyone know what the planned altitude was to pull his chute? I thought the commentator said 5000 and he was 6800-ish actual. That might have made a diff on the free fall record.

Waiting another 1800 feet would have bought him about 10 seconds of freefall i'd guess.

Looks like he fell short of the longest freefall record...

Wouldn't it be cool if we learn that Felix pulled early to let Joe keep the free fall record?

Felix free fall was 4:22...Joe's record was 4:36.

Hmmm....

More likely is that the fogged up visor had him wanting to be under canopy earlier rather than later as the earth rushed up to meet him.

And what an amazing landing!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Felix, Edge of Space Jump, 10-14-2012.jpg
    Felix, Edge of Space Jump, 10-14-2012.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 145
  • ScreenShot300.png
    ScreenShot300.png
    662.5 KB · Views: 145
Lets not forget here that he was going ALOT faster than Joe was - making the free fall record that much harder to get -

Never bought a Red Bull and maybe never will. I thank those that do. This was good stuff.

Never bought a Red Bull and maybe never will. I thank those that do. This was good stuff.

I'm going to go by one today. As long as my money keeps going to cool stuff like this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I wonder if Branson will get a call about turning SpaceShip Two into a jump vehicle :D

Edit: likely not... Looked at the Wikipedia article for SS2 and it doesn't go night enough.

Last edited:
Nope, he did break the speed record, 1.24 Mach.
I was wondering about that. I had heard that the speed of sound is different at altitude, but I wasn't sure about that. I just read that he broke it a few minutes ago. Yahoo news is saying 833mph or 1.4 mach.

Last edited:
I was wondering about that. I had heard that the speed of sound is different at altitude, but I wasn't sure about that. I just read that he broke it a few minutes ago.
Speed of sound only depends on temperature, not altitude, but anyway, he was falling at some point with around 370 m/s and speed of sound (say at ISA) is around 330 m/s.

Anyone noticed today is exactly 65-th anniversary of Chuck Yeager's record sound barrier braking flight!!

One small step for man.....

One giant leap for energy drink marketing!

Back