"recycle your transponder"

Ya know, for a moment I thought you understood standardization. Apparently I was wrong.

Who advocated that? :dunno:

Clearly, you don't even understand the discussion here. :rolleyes2:

I understand both standardization and this thread fully. Please give one reason, any reason that makes 1200 (a potential violation code) any better than say 0000 or 2000. Any reason at all and I'll eat crow. The fact remains your setting a violation code for no reason.

BTW, nobody brought up the altitude preselect. It was a comparison for doing something with no value.

Last edited:
I understand it fully. Please give one reason, any reason that makes 1200 (a potential violation code) any better than say 0000 or 2000. Any reason at all and I'll eat crow. The fact remains your setting a violation code for no reason.

BTW, nobody brought up the altitude preselect. It was a comparison for doing something with no value.

Like arguing with you? :rolleyes:

Have a nice day Captain.

Like arguing with you? :rolleyes:

Have a nice day Captain.

Hooray, I win.

Seriously, if you can't think of a reason why you're doing something and that something has some risk then perhaps you should rethink why you're doing it rather than get snippy with the person who pointed it out free of charge.

Hooray, I win.

Seriously, if you can't think of a reason why you're doing something and that something has some risk then perhaps you should rethink why you're doing it rather than get snippy with the person who pointed it out free of charge.

So what you are saying is you don't follow SOP's, checklist or any standards for the airplane you fly? If you did, then in this example the transponder gets checked multiple times before departure. From what you're saying is you would just ignore flows and checklist/checklist responses and go fly.

Are we to assume the checklist on your airplane makes no mention of checking transponder and transponder code before takeoff? Is that correct?

So what you are saying is you don't follow SOP's, checklist or any standards for the airplane you fly? If you did, then in this example the transponder gets checked multiple times before departure. From what you're saying is you would just ignore flows and checklist/checklist responses and go fly.

Are we to assume the checklist on your airplane makes no mention of checking transponder and transponder code before takeoff? Is that correct?

Of course not. We have standards and checklists and use them too. Have you ever had a procedure or checklist fail. I'll bet ten you know you have, in your life, taken off with a bad code. This very issue, say you never have.

I have. I've seen others do it too while sitting in the jumpseat. Isn't the whole point of checklist to catch stuff forgotten?

Of course not. We have standards and checklists and use them too. Have you ever had a procedure or checklist fail. I'll bet ten you know you have, in your life, taken off with a bad code. This very issue, say you never have.

I have. I've seen others do it too while sitting in the jumpseat. Isn't the whole point of checklist to catch stuff forgotten?

I can say I've never done it because I follow the SOP's.

^^ I believe in the above tit for tat we have the reason ATC says "recycle" instead of annoying the giant egos who screwed up. LOL.

"Dear standardized professionals... We aren't receiving the right numbers from the simplest instrument in your cockpit besides the clock and the compass that's hidden away in the overhead. Could you fix that? Thanks."

"Recycle" is code for the above that won't get anyone's panties in a bunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, sorry. I thought he said to set 1200 after the flight and hope the checklist catches it prior to the next one. My bad.

Never worked among a pro crew, it would seem.

The checklist WILL get done, and there is significant value in having the aircraft in a standard and precisely known configuration, every time. Whether the plane is parked at DCA or EDW or FAT.

There are many configurations considerably more important than squawk codes. Like flaps. Some airplanes don't take off very well at zero flap, and there have been fatal accidents due to that error. No one has crashed an airplane due to a wrong squawk code.

A competent pro crew goes through flows and checklists religiously, and bets their lives on others doing the same. I wish it were possible for every private pilot to witness that, but part 121 rules don't allow. Fortunately, I get to fly on part 91 airliners occasionally. But there aren't many around.

Last edited:
Never worked among a pro crew, it would seem.

The checklist WILL get done, and there is significant value in having the aircraft in a standard and precisely known configuration, every time. Whether the plane is parked at DCA or EDW or FAT.

There are many configurations considerably more important than squawk codes. Like flaps. Some airplanes don't take off very well at zero flap, and there have been fatal accidents due to that error. No one has crashed an airplane due to a wrong squawk code.

A competent pro crew goes through flows and checklists religiously, and bets their lives on others doing the same. I wish it were possible for every private pilot to witness that, but part 121 rules don't allow. Fortunately, I get to fly on part 91 airliners occasionally. But there aren't many around.

Why does my pointing out a procedural danger get me labeled as not following SOPs or my professionalism get called into question? Exactly how big are the egos here that everyone is willing to say the famous words..."that could never happen to me".

Things I personally know the crew that has done it even though flows and checklists should have caught it...taken off with wrong flap setting, taken off without enough fuel for flight, gone to hotel with main engine running, taken off with wrong squawk code.

This isn't an indictment on checklists, flows or professional crews. I'm just pointing out a code of 1200 might not be the wisest procedure given there are airports where if you fail to catch it you can get a violation for it.

Nobody, but nobody, has offered up ANY reason why a code of 1200 is superior to any other code in jogging one that the code isn't set. 0000, 1111, 2222, 3333, all seem pretty good. How are they lesser if they don't have the danger associated with 1200....the one code out of 4,096 possible that gets you busted at a handful of airports.

Oh yeah...pile on me. Those of you who turn a simple suggestion for not getting violated into a personal attack on me should be ashamed. I know...it could never happen to you....

Eyes rolling

Exactly how big are the egos here that everyone is willing to say the famous words..."that could never happen to me".

Dude, you're the one who seems to be implying that turning your xpdr on with the last flight's squawk would never happen to you. That is essentially the nature of your argument.

Doesn't matter where you are at, we use the same procedure all the time. Your before start checklist and flow should have a transponder line, and your before takeoff checklist should have a "Transponder-Code Set and On" line.

Read again. I was responding to the statement to turn the code to 1200 after landing which one should do in the FRZ/SFRA only after turning the transponder off or to standby. Being on the ground squawking 1200 is band in the SFRA and VERY BAD in the FRZ. There are airborne assets that can see you on the ground in the FRZ (and soon it's going to be 24/7 when they get the aerostat up at APG).

Before takeoff is not the same as before taxi. Some of us operate at airports where they have ground radar (in addition to the general DC eye in the sky).

Last edited:
Read again. I was responding to the statement to turn the code to 1200 after landing which one should do in the FRZ/SFRA only after turning the transponder off or to standby.

If you would have actually read what I wrote you would see this:

Put in your shut down checklist "set transponder to 1200".
Being on the ground squawking 1200 is band in the SFRA and VERY BAD in the FRZ. There are airborne assets that can see you on the ground in the FRZ (and soon it's going to be 24/7 when they get the aerostat up at APG).

Again, try a little reading comprehension here (post 13). :rolleyes2:

Before takeoff is not the same as before taxi. Some of us operate at airports where they have ground radar (in addition to the general DC eye in the sky).

Well, duh, I operate through some of the largest and complex airports around the world. :rolleyes: If you would have put your transponder on a VFR code (1200 or 2000) after shutdown, and upon your call for taxi clearance the ground controller would inquire as to why you are not squawking the correct code if you didn't enter it upon receipt of your clearance (usually before calling for a taxi clearance).

Is that really that hard to comprehend? :rolleyes2:

OK, I wrote:
Doesn't matter where you are at, we use the same procedure all the time. Your before start checklist and flow should have a transponder line, and your before takeoff checklist should have a "Transponder-Code Set and On" line.
?????:dunno:

Last edited:
I'm going to start using this. Especially easy if you have a VFR button. Thanks.

The corollary was that my wife (also a pilot) decided to be nice one time when the controller said "radar services terminated." Crikey, I tell her he didn't tell you squawk 1200 (fortunately this was NY's airspace). I had to confess to the next controller that we had lost our squawk code.

The corollary was that my wife (also a pilot) decided to be nice one time when the controller said "radar services terminated." Crikey, I tell her he didn't tell you squawk 1200 (fortunately this was NY's airspace). I had to confess to the next controller that we had lost our squawk code.

I did that once also, "Um, center, Cessna1234, I've, um, screwed up my transponder code". From now on I'll just blame my wife also (even thought she isn't a pilot) good call.:)

I did that once also, "Um, center, Cessna1234, I've, um, screwed up my transponder code". From now on I'll just blame my wife also (even thought she isn't a pilot) good call.:)

A couple things I'm sure everyone already knows:

- If you have one of those fancy transponders with a digital interface and a VFR button, pushing the VFR button will set your squawk to 1200 but pushing it *again* will go back to the code you had before. This is a good reason to use that button rather than typing in 1-2-0-0.

- My instructor got me into the habit of writing down squawk codes alongside approach frequencies. One passes between quite a few controllers when flying certain stretches of California and it's hard to sound cool when calling, "Hey, I'm back, what was that frequency I was supposed to go to?" :)

Dude, you're the one who seems to be implying that turning your xpdr on with the last flight's squawk would never happen to you. That is essentially the nature of your argument.

Really? That's what my argument sounds like? Because I thought I said several times in several posts 1200 bad, 0000, 1111, 2000 and others good. I've never seen so many people stand up FOR a procedure with such an obvious negative aspect and AGAINST such an easy fix.

Only explanation I can come up with is its personal and because I suggested it is why y'all don't like it. Whatever, fly the way you like, set 1200 in IAD and BWI. Your checklist will probably catch it but don't cry to me if it doesn't.

"When squawking 1200 is outlawed, only criminals will squawk 1200." ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I set mine to 7700 at every shutdown. LOL.
7500 would be even better! :D

Seriously, if it's your own airplane set it however you want. Guessing that both Captain and R&W aren't the only ones flying "their" airplane so unless their company has a policy in place there's no guarantee that the previous crews would have set it to 1200 or anything other than the previous code.

Last edited:
Agree with Captain on this one. I am asking for trouble by setting 1200. Its going to get me a finger shaking if I takeoff using the last code, but a slip of paper if I use 1200. I see no benefit here.

I like to shutdown radios etc prior to avionics master, but I'm not the only one who flies the plane.

Agree with Captain on this one. I am asking for trouble by setting 1200. Its going to get me a finger shaking if I takeoff using the last code,
You won't even get a finger-shaking, just an instruction, "N1234 squawk xxxx". They know what you did.

They say various things but I've never gotten a finger-wag.

Proverbially speaking, of course.

And keep in mind, my context was for the DC-SFRA. They get their panties twisted over transponders here. I have an anecdote which I think I posted and I'll see if I can find it.

Prob'ly should know this, OTOH -- never too old to learn, right?
Occasionally you hear ATC tell somebody to "recycle your transponder". What does he want/expect the pilot to do? My guess is you're supposed to turn it off and then back on again :confused:

It is a nice way of saying "hey dummy you forgot to turn your transponder on". :D And that is the cause of the problem in I'd guess 99% of the cases.

It basically means it's not on "ALT" - turn it on. But in some cases thing may not be working correctly and turning it off/back on might fix it.

Also based in the SFRA. Even a 1200 in your tie-down will cause lots of stress, phone calls and letters. Not a good idea in these parts.

And keep in mind, my context was for the DC-SFRA.
OK. Mine was not. I wouldn't ever accidentally be squawking 1200 taking off from there because I would not have changed to 1200 when landing. I don't ever switch to 1200 unless they say "squawk VFR" or something like that.

OK. Mine was not. I wouldn't ever accidentally be squawking 1200 taking off from there because I would not have changed to 1200 when landing. I don't ever switch to 1200 unless they say "squawk VFR" or something like that.

Hope this doesn't turn into a 'reverse high speed' thread...but I personally know a guy who was told to squawk 1200 going into GAI (north part of the SFRA) and did...he got violated and a 60 or 90 day time out.

Full disclosure...the exact verbiage was "squawk appropriate code" and he took that to mean 1200. This was after he called the field, was cleared the visual and canceled IFR. Controller was diciplined too IIRC.

Hope this doesn't turn into a 'reverse high speed' thread...but I personally know a guy who was told to squawk 1200 going into GAI (north part of the SFRA) and did...he got violated and a 60 or 90 day time out.

Full disclosure...the exact verbiage was "squawk appropriate code" and he took that to mean 1200. This was after he called the field, was cleared the visual and canceled IFR. Controller was diciplined too IIRC.
My position is do whatever you want. That goes for the reverse high-speed too. And I'll also do what I want. For some reason you seem to think I'm advocating switching to 1200 after landing but frankly I had never heard of anyone doing that as a rule before this thread. Similarly I had never heard of anyone say that it was illegal to use the reverse high speed before you brought it up. I still do it and think of you every time. :D

Last edited:
Fine unless you're inside the FRZ/SFRA. Never set the transponder to 1200 while it is operating in that area. Even taxiing around a Dulles they get a little testy if you have a 1200 squawk. I was leading a "flight of five" from Landmark down to UHC and the tower calls me and asks if I can get the last guy to squawk something other than 1200.

I don't know about down there, but I've noticed the standard is normally to have all wingmen squawk stby

My position is do whatever you want. That goes for the reverse high-speed too. And I'll also do what I want. For some reason you seem to think I'm advocating switching to 1200 after landing but frankly I had never heard of anyone doing that as a rule before this thread. Similarly I had never heard of anyone say that it was illegal to use the reverse high speed before you brought it up. I still do it and think of you every time. :D

LOL! Best post of the night.

It doesn't bother me at all what you think about while you disregard the AIM. The fact that you're obviously aware you're violating it could be used against you.

Dammit, I knew I shoulda paid attention during the Reverse HS thread....

It doesn't bother me at all what you think about while you disregard the AIM. The fact that you're obviously aware you're violating it could be used against you.
Do you want to quote what you think is the relevant passage from the AIM again, and your own pet interpretation?

I set mine to 7700 at every shutdown. LOL.

Tower gets there panties twisted with that one:lol:

7500 would be even better! :D

Tried that, but then I have at least one or two "dummies" that keep attempting to fly formation without permission ... don't those idiots read the FARs? You have to have permission to fly formation:goofy:

Instead use 7600!

You can make your own intersection departure in front of whatever conga line is waiting at the run-up area without permission. This code works WAY better than ATITPPA especially at Class B/C/D fields when approaching the field:lol:

Back