"recycle your transponder"

peerlesscowboy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
John C Saubak
Prob'ly should know this, OTOH -- never too old to learn, right?
Occasionally you hear ATC tell somebody to "recycle your transponder". What does he want/expect the pilot to do? My guess is you're supposed to turn it off and then back on again :confused:

Occasionally you hear ATC tell somebody to "recycle your transponder". What does he want/expect the pilot to do? My guess is you're supposed to turn it off and then back on again :confused:

It is the equivalent of kicking a lawnmower in hopes it will start to run after being kicked.

Yes. Turn it off and back on. Act could not see mine the other day. I told them I would cycle it. In that case it was code for "I am turning it on"

Jim

And when else does one volunteer to ATC that one is recycling the transponder? :)

Not a biggie but the phraseology is actually "(ID) reset transponder, squawk (code)." I'm sure there are some "recycle" guys out there though.:)

Yes. Turn it off and back on. Act could not see mine the other day. I told them I would cycle it. In that case it was code for "I am turning it on"

Jim

They know that code better than we do.

The embarrassing one for me is when I leave in the code from the previous flight...:redface::redface: ...the "cycle" code doesn't work for that one...

"Recycle transponder" is ATC code for "turn it on, dummy."

Just like "say altitude" is code for "you'd better descend right now if you want to avoid a Class B bust."

It means that in 2020 you can throw in the proper re-cycle bin.

Just like "say altitude" is code for "you'd better descend right now if you want to avoid a Class B bust."

and "...say altitude" followed by "Burbank altimeter 30.01" means set your altimeter and get on the right altitude!

"Recycle transponder" is ATC code for "turn it on, dummy."

:yeahthat:

Not a biggie but the phraseology is actually "(ID) reset transponder, squawk (code)." I'm sure there are some "recycle" guys out there though.:)
Heard one just today directed at somebody else, my transponder seemed to be "cycling" properly........I guess :dunno:

They know that code better than we do.

The embarrassing one for me is when I leave in the code from the previous flight...:redface::redface: ...the "cycle" code doesn't work for that one...

In the airline business when doing the cockpit set up (preflight) we check the transponder is set to 1200 (or 2000). Once the clearance is received we set the code and verify. During shutdown at the gate we reset the transponder to 1200 (or 2000).

Put in your shut down checklist "set transponder to 1200".

In the airline business when doing the cockpit set up (preflight) we check the transponder is set to 1200 (or 2000). Once the clearance is received we set the code and verify. During shutdown at the gate we reset the transponder to 1200 (or 2000).

That's a fine way to get yourself violated. Blast outta IAD, BWI, or DCA squawking 1200 and see what happens.

That's a fine way to get yourself violated. Blast outta IAD, BWI, or DCA squawking 1200 and see what happens.

As opposed to what? Blasting out of there with the code set incorrectly to whatever was assigned to the prior flight? Besides, you're not going to get off the ground anyway - last week in DCA I transposed two digits of our code, and ground mentioned it before we even had the first engine started.

Switching to 1200 isn't one of our procedures, but I can see the value in making it obviously clear to everyone on the flight deck (including jumpseaters) that the transponder has yet to be set.

It's called "standardization", and it actually prevents your scenario from happening. On the before start checklist it's checked for the proper code (if the respondent looks down and sees 1200 (or 2000) the checklist stops until the correct code is loaded. Same with the taxi checklist.

The TRACON ARTS system picks up flight plan information, including beacon code, from the ARTCC computer. When a pre-determined time arrives, the ARTS computer forwards the departure track and beacon information to the appropriate sector's tab list. That way, when radar acquires the beacon code, it automatically associates track information and produces a data block on the display. Once that happens, the TRACON computer forwards the departure time to the ARTCC computer.

When an incorrect beacon code pops up, we usually see a Mode C intruder tag. That's when you hear ATC request a new code, and everyone has a happy day. Sometimes, that incorrect code belongs to another departure. That's when things get interesting. Now I have to verify that the automation is erroneous. Once I've done that, after fixing the erroneous data, I call the appropriate ARTCC controller and advise them the aircraft they think they are expecting is a ghost. We call that a "scratch and hold."

It happens every day, and takes all of a few keystrokes and phone calls to fix. If a pilot departs on a VFR code, the only difference is that there is no chance of an erroneous tag.

Maybe it's not such a bad idea to ensure the transponder gets a 1200 code prior to shutdown?

Maybe it's not such a bad idea to ensure the transponder gets a 1200 code prior to shutdown?

Yup, fer sure and fer certain it's a pilot error which should be corrected on shut-down or start-up.

Fine unless you're inside the FRZ/SFRA. Never set the transponder to 1200 while it is operating in that area. Even taxiing around a Dulles they get a little testy if you have a 1200 squawk. I was leading a "flight of five" from Landmark down to UHC and the tower calls me and asks if I can get the last guy to squawk something other than 1200.

"I will recycle my transponder" means "I forgot to turn it on, but I am too embarrassed to admit it. I wish they had just wired the darn thing so it always comes on when I power up the COM radio."

"I will recycle my transponder" means "I forgot to turn it on, but I am too embarrassed to admit it. I wish they had just wired the darn thing so it always comes on when I power up the COM radio."
Sometimes.

I got a 'recycle transponder' from Myrtle Beach Approach last week flying down to Charleston. They also gave me the xpdr code I was already on for the previous 2/3s of the flight, so it wasn't like I forgot to turn it on.

For a minute, I was concerned that my transponder might have a problem, but I soon noticed that they were asking several other aircraft to do the same, so I suspect the equipment problem was on their end.

Fine unless you're inside the FRZ/SFRA. Never set the transponder to 1200 while it is operating in that area. Even taxiing around a Dulles they get a little testy if you have a 1200 squawk. I was leading a "flight of five" from Landmark down to UHC and the tower calls me and asks if I can get the last guy to squawk something other than 1200.

Doesn't matter where you are at, we use the same procedure all the time. Your before start checklist and flow should have a transponder line, and your before takeoff checklist should have a "Transponder-Code Set and On" line.

Doesn't matter where you are at, we use the same procedure all the time. Your before start checklist and flow should have a transponder line, and your before takeoff checklist should have a "Transponder-Code Set and On" line.

I'm going to start using this. Especially easy if you have a VFR button. Thanks.

We don't have a transponder line on our before start checklist, but it's part of the flow, and a required item during the briefing. It is, however, an item on our taxi checklist.

At least use a code of 2000 since it's not specifically illegal in the SFRA/FRZ. Why you'd put a code that's an automatic 90 day suspension in the thing is beyond me. I know...checklists. We all know those NEVER get overlooked.

It'd be like arming a bomb in the cockpit while you're at the gate with a before flight checklist item to disarm it. Why do it? What benefit? Yes, seeing 1200 is more likely to jog your memory to set it...unless it doesn't.

At least use a code of 2000 since it's not specifically illegal in the SFRA/FRZ. Why you'd put a code that's an automatic 90 day suspension in the thing is beyond me. I know...checklists. We all know those NEVER get overlooked.

It'd be like arming a bomb in the cockpit while you're at the gate with a before flight checklist item to disarm it. Why do it? What benefit? Yes, seeing 1200 is more likely to jog your memory to set it...unless it doesn't.

(Hypothetical)

So you land at DCA and off load your passengers, you are on a quick turn and your inbound code was 4157. You grab a quick clearance and taxi out, look down at your transponder and see a code already inserted, and you blast off. Now you have a problem.

However, if your SOP was to reset your transponder to 1200 after landing, and on taxi out you look down to verify "code set and on" and see 1200, that's your clue you forgot something. And being the bright pilot you are, and being in a Class B airspace, the 1200 code would further remind you that something is amiss.

Leaving your last assigned code in the transponder after landing and shut down is just plain stupid.

The 2000 code is what we use in SE Asia, same as setting 1200 in the US.

Haven't all of the Class B airports gone to mandatory use of transponder on the ground/taxiing? Seems like ATC would notice of you have the wrong code (last code or 1200) before you leave the ground.

Haven't all of the Class B airports gone to mandatory use of transponder on the ground/taxiing? Seems like ATC would notice of you have the wrong code (last code or 1200) before you leave the ground.

Probably so. But this also works for other airports as well.

Point being, it's just as hazardous leaving your old code in on departure. Develop good habits (standards) and you can minimize any embarrassing moments.

(Hypothetical)

So you land at DCA and off load your passengers, you are on a quick turn and your inbound code was 4157. You grab a quick clearance and taxi out, look down at your transponder and see a code already inserted, and you blast off. Now you have a problem.

However, if your SOP was to reset your transponder to 1200 after landing, and on taxi out you look down to verify "code set and on" and see 1200, that's your clue you forgot something. And being the bright pilot you are, and being in a Class B airspace, the 1200 code would further remind you that something is amiss.

Leaving your last assigned code in the transponder after landing and shut down is just plain stupid.

The 2000 code is what we use in SE Asia, same as setting 1200 in the US.

Okay, you have to pick. You HAVE to take off from DCA squawking the wrong code. Would you rather have the wrong code of 1200 or 4132 (or whatever your last code was). Obviously your wrong to take off with either code but my information is that it's a sidelining event to take off with 1200 and a 'cycle your transponder' event with the previous code.

If that's true, then it's crazy IMO to ever set 1200 unless you're really VFR outside any restricted airspace.

Okay, you have to pick. You HAVE to take off from DCA squawking the wrong code. Would you rather have the wrong code of 1200 or 4132 (or whatever your last code was). Obviously your wrong to take off with either code but my information is that it's a sidelining event to take off with 1200 and a 'cycle your transponder' event with the previous code.

If that's true, then it's crazy IMO to ever set 1200 unless you're really VFR outside any restricted airspace.

Whatever, it's your plane, do whatever you wish. :rolleyes:

I was just going to tell you the same.

All I know is inside this:

DC-SFRA_422.jpg

...it is NEVER okay to squawk 1200 and that seems to be exactly your advice. I trust others here can decide for themselves what good advice is.

I was just going to tell you the same.

All I know is inside this:

DC-SFRA_422.jpg

...it is NEVER okay to squawk 1200 and that seems to be exactly your advice. I trust others here can decide for themselves what good advice is.

Uh, he never said it was acceptable to squawk 1200. Just like it isn't acceptable to squawk a previously assigned code.

Oh, sorry. I thought he said to set 1200 after the flight and hope the checklist catches it prior to the next one. My bad.

Oh, sorry. I thought he said to set 1200 after the flight and hope the checklist catches it prior to the next one. My bad.

What he is saying is when you are shutting down (and the Xpdr is off/stby) you put in 1200 per the checklist. And then when you start up, you enter the new assigned squawk code before you turn the xpdr on (per the checklist.

Now, if you don't follow the checklist and you turn on said xpdr before entering new code...that would be bad.

But so would your method of turning the xpdr on with the previous flights code.

What he is saying is when you are shutting down (and the Xpdr is off/stby) you put in 1200 per the checklist. And then when you start up, you enter the new assigned squawk code before you turn the xpdr on (per the checklist.

Now, if you don't follow the checklist and you turn on said xpdr before entering new code...that would be bad.

But so would your method of turning the xpdr on with the previous flights code.

Yea, exactly. Thanks.

Seems some here have a problem in the reading comprehension department. :rolleyes:

Yea, exactly. Thanks.

Seems some here have a problem in the reading comprehension department. :rolleyes:

Agree. Like some don't comprehend the zero benefit of 1200 verses any other number and don't mind setting a number (the only number in fact) that could result in a violation.

Its like setting the altitude preselect to 0000 while flying a visual. Why would you and what's the benefit? If you're going to assume risk at least have some benefit. If you're assuming risk with no benefit then I question your intelligence.

Agree. Like some don't comprehend the zero benefit of 1200 verses any other number and don't mind setting a number (the only number in fact) that could result in a violation. .

Ya know, for a moment I thought you understood standardization. Apparently I was wrong.

Its like setting the altitude preselect to 0000 while flying a visual. Why would you and what's the benefit?

Who advocated that? :dunno:

If you're going to assume risk at least have some benefit. If you're assuming risk with no benefit then I question your intelligence.

Clearly, you don't even understand the discussion here. :rolleyes2:

I set mine to 7700 at every shutdown. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back