Recover take 2

found some damage in the right wing. Here is what we have so far...

attachment.php

Attachments

• downsized_1020011957.jpg
    downsized_1020011957.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 102
Looks like a great winter project. This is Leah's glider, yes?
One way to really know your bird is to open it up and fix it.

well i've slowly been working away at the damage in the right wing. New ribs are cut to go back in. I took out some of the trailing edge with hopes of straightening out some ribs. Time to order a piece of spruce and some plywood for the leading edge skin.

http://cherokeesailplanes.blogspot.com

Tony, I love your blog. It makes me pretty confident that Spirit has good people working on designing great airplanes.

Let me know when the next Cherokee wing covering session will be.

oh of course i wouldn't let you miss out on that fun

the new false ribs have been glued in place. Still need to work out a scheme for the trailing edge repair. Scarfs on the remaining TE have been started and new wood has been ordered. Will work out a way to straighten and attach the existing and new rib before permanently installing the new rib. Also got a 4x4 sheet of 1.5 mm plywood for the new skin.

In other news a friend has been helping finish the insulation in the attic and we got the last piece in place last night. great friend!

the new false ribs have been glued in place. Still need to work out a scheme for the trailing edge repair. Scarfs on the remaining TE have been started and new wood has been ordered. Will work out a way to straighten and attach the existing and new rib before permanently installing the new rib. Also got a 4x4 sheet of 1.5 mm plywood for the new skin.

In other news a friend has been helping finish the insulation in the attic and we got the last piece in place last night. great friend!
I love my new heated hangar, today was in the high 20's all day and 65 in the hangar. I'm doing the detail cosmetic work and don't like to shiver.

Attachments

• DSCN1950.jpg
    DSCN1950.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
i've managed to break a few of the ribs and decided to replace a few more. now a clean 4 foot wide area of complete rib destruction and replacement on the right wing. and it all started out with that little hole.

LOL, it's always more work than you figure at first. One thing leads to another. But it looks pretty good from here... and you will have great pride and confidence in that ship when it's flying.
If I go to Airventure this year, I might have to make a detour and come fly it... or help you finish it, LOL!! :D

that would be a heck of a detour but you are more than welcome. it will be finished when it is finished :)

that would be a heck of a detour but you are more than welcome. :)
Meh- if I'm driving 1000 miles anyway (I doubt I'll be flying there this year), what's several hundred more miles? :D I once drove home from Orlando by way of New Orleans... and there wasn't a fine classic glider waiting for me there.

Back