Recommended oil for 1965 Cherokee 140?

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
I remember reading an article not too long ago that actually favored "single viscosity" oils vs. the "multi-viscosity" oils. I should have taken a photo (there is an extra quart of oil behind the seat that the previous owner left in there for me. I believe it Phillips 66 X/C 20W50 multi-viscosity oil. My old flight school always ran AeroShell Oil W100 Plus SAE Grade 50 in their 172s.

Anyways - any feedback on this?

I would use what's in there until the next oil change and then go with the recommendation of my A&P.

Uhh uhhh, I have no idea, might help if you tell us where you are flying and how many hours your putting on the plane.

Where I live now, I could go from a OAT of 70F to 0F between oil change, I often can't do a preheat in the bush, I don't put many hours on her, X/C with cam guard for me.

Before it was a plane on the west coast, flew about 60hrs a month, lows of 50F, highs of 80F, just ran cheap W100

Not a enough info to give you a good answer.

What engine are you running? We've always used Aeroshell W15W-50 or Phillips 66 X/C SAE 20W-50 multigrade in the O-320/360's.

Uhh uhhh, I have no idea, might help if you tell us where you are flying and how many hours your putting on the plane.

Where I live now, I could go from a OAT of 70F to 0F between oil change, I often can't do a preheat in the bush, I don't put many hours on her, X/C with cam guard for me.

Before it was a plane on the west coast, flew about 60hrs a month, lows of 50F, highs of 80F, just ran cheap W100

Not a enough info to give you a good answer.

Arizona...it's nice and hot James if you've never been. Even winters are fairly mild. Idk maybe 10-20 hours a month.

I am in the Sacramento area and ran Phillips 20/50 year round in a '67 Cherokee 140 (as low as 30's in the winter and up to 110 in the summer). It is a great oil and doesn't have any additives, like Shell. I liked that.

I am in the Sacramento area and ran Phillips 20/50 year round in a '67 Cherokee 140 (as low as 30's in the winter and up to 110 in the summer). It is a great oil and doesn't have any additives, like Shell. I liked that.
A multivisc oil with no additives! Smdh

you are good with the 20W50 year around. and remember your 0-320- does not require the Lycoming Snake oil additive

You have choices. Exxon, Aeroshell, Phillips.... and choices within those brands. There are no extended service times, extended TBO, extended operating limits, etc with any of them. In that respect they're all the same. Might one be better for you than the others? Possibly, but the advantages and applications are subjective. You need to figure out which one suits you best. Myself? Alaska pilot. Park outdoors. Don't fly as often as some. I use Phillips X/C multi vis and add Camguard for corrosion protection. Aeroshell straight weight is good but a bigger temperature range suits me better. I'm not a fan of semi synthetics (that rules out Aeroshell 15-50 and Exxon Elite) so my choice is pretty simple.

Arizona...it's nice and hot James if you've never been. Even winters are fairly mild. Idk maybe 10-20 hours a month.

I've been.

Between the weather and the decent usage, you'd be just fine with W100, save some money.

The split weight ain't going to hurt, but the w100 is cheaper, will do just as well for the engine, and can be found nearly anywhere.

You have choices. Exxon, Aeroshell, Phillips.... and choices within those brands. There are no extended service times, extended TBO, extended operating limits, etc with any of them. In that respect they're all the same. Might one be better for you than the others? Possibly, but the advantages and applications are subjective. You need to figure out which one suits you best. Myself? Alaska pilot. Park outdoors. Don't fly as often as some. I use Phillips X/C multi vis and add Camguard for corrosion protection. Aeroshell straight weight is good but a bigger temperature range suits me better. I'm not a fan of semi synthetics (that rules out Aeroshell 15-50 and Exxon Elite) so my choice is pretty simple.
After reading your statement, I'd ask.
If you are using any brand of AD multi-weight oil, then placing an additive in it. why not simply buy and use an oil with the additive ready added?

After reading your statement, I'd ask.
If you are using any brand of AD multi-weight oil, then placing an additive in it. why not simply buy and use an oil with the additive ready added?

As I said, I don't care for semi synthetic oils. And with Camguard added to my Phillips it's way better than the pre-additized oils for corrosion protection and the aggregate cost is about equal with the other multi-vis options.

Last edited:
If it gets hot and you dont have to worry about cold starts run 50weight. Any of the aviation oils are fine unless you have a plane that requires a specific oil.

As I said, I don't care for semi synthetic oils. And with Camguard added to my Phillips it's way better than the pre-additized oils for corrosion protection and the aggregate cost is about equal with the other multi-vis options.
to start with, AD multi weights are not semi-synthetic. ( they can be, but many are not) The 20W50 is a weight grade, and has nothing to do with the additive package.
discussing "what oil"? is like discussing what flavor cupcake you like. The frosting on it is a different subject.

From Shell's web site:

Semi-Synthetic Ashless Dispersant Engine Oil:
Aeroshell Oil W 15 W 50 is a premium semi-synthetic multigrade ashless dispersant oil specifically developed for aviation piston engines. AeroShell Oil W 15 W 50 is a special blend of a high quality mineral oil and synthetic hydrocarbons with an advanced additive package that has been specifically formulated for multigrade applications.

to start with, AD multi weights are not semi-synthetic. ( they can be, but many are not) The 20W50 is a weight grade, and has nothing to do with the additive package.
discussing "what oil"? is like discussing what flavor cupcake you like. The frosting on it is a different subject.

Bad analogy. Everyone likes red velvet. That's the only cupcake you need.

I remember reading an article not too long ago that actually favored "single viscosity" oils vs. the "multi-viscosity" oils. I should have taken a photo (there is an extra quart of oil behind the seat that the previous owner left in there for me. I believe it Phillips 66 X/C 20W50 multi-viscosity oil. My old flight school always ran AeroShell Oil W100 Plus SAE Grade 50 in their 172s.

Anyways - any feedback on this?

Now, aren't you so very happy you asked that question here? :confused: :D

Look it up. Lycomings Service information letter about use of EP oils in engines that use friction clutches.

Last edited:
Exxon Elite is also semi-syn. Phillips is the only one that is all mineral oil, which is why we can use it for break-in. Actually Phillips offers two multi vis 20-50 oils. One is AD, one isn't. Both are mineral oil.

https://lubes.exxonmobil.com/aviati...ion-lubricants_aviation-oil-elite-20w-50.aspx

http://www.phillips66lubricants.com/mobile/Single.aspx?pid=282&brand=Phillips+66
Who said anything about exon elite? Any oil not containing wear additives can be used to brake-in engines. doesn't matter about the weight multi or not.

Many? Which ones aren't?

There are only three multi-vis AD oils that are appropriate for typical opposed engine. Two of those are semi-synthetic, right?

Last edited:
Many? Which ones aren't?

Aren't what ??

I guess you missed the point, that the 20W50 is a "weight grade" not an indicator of additive package ingredients

I too read an article. I don't remember when ( a long time ago) or where. The bottom line was that single grade remains on the lubricated surfaces longer than multi grade and provides better protection if the engine sits for longer periods..

I too read an article. I don't remember when ( a long time ago) or where. The bottom line was that single grade remains on the lubricated surfaces longer than multi grade and provides better protection if the engine sits for longer periods..
Right; best thing for the plane is to just fly it regularly. Then you don't need to worry about Camguard or other additives.

Back