Recommendations on finding folks needing a Safety Pilot

Boulderick

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Rick
This is my first post to this forum, and if I'm posting this in the wrong place, let me know. I flew in the military in my 20s, then stopped flying to raise kids in my 30's and 40's. Now in my 50's, I decided to start flying again a couple of months ago, and I've found the joy of flying all over again. There are a ton of airplane options out there beyond the Cessna's I've been renting and I'd like to get time in a wide variety of airplanes, then decide on one to buy into. Seems like offering to be a safety pilot for folks that need that might be a good way to get hands-on experience. Besides putting a sheet of paper with little number tear aways up a my local FBO, is there a better way to find people with interesting planes to fly with? I'm in Boulder, Colorado, if that makes a difference . . .

Be up front and direct, toss the Safety Pilot ruse.

When you see someone with the plane you want to test drive, go talk to them. They will likely share info, and, I would guess a 50/50 chance of a ride around the local area.

I usually try not to ask people about their planes, as then I generally have to find a way to extract myself from the conversation.

Welsome to POA.

I would say the tear sheet on the bulletin board is a good start. Might even include other nearby airports like Erie and Longmont.

Beyond that, try to get into the very, very vibrant Colorado pilot community and meet people. Lots of piston folks at Metro, also not too far. Seminars tend to be well-attended, especially the ones put on by AOPA. Join the Colorado Pilots Assoication; it always needs an influx of new folks and, safety pilot aside, the group fly-ins they do is an opportunity to be a passenger.

Even this board is a good start. You'll see there are a bunch of friendly Coloradans here who get together periodically for fly-in lunches, some of whom would be happy to pick up a new guy.

And don't forget the volunteer pilot organizations. Local pilots flying Angel Flight are often very happy to have another pilot on board.

I know we have at least a few people here from the northwest Denver metro area. We occasionally fly places for breakfast/lunch. I usually manage to hitch a ride because I don't have an airplane. Keep on the lookout for people posting threads about this. We also sometimes get together for a non-flying meal or BBQ. Perfect BBQ weather today! :D

Thanks, Mark and JoseCuervo. Joined the EAA last month, and just joined the Colorado Pilots Association (used you as a referral, Mark, hope that gets you something). By the way, it looks like you list your location at Chapel Hill, NC, but seem knowledgeable about the Denver/Boulder area. Do you spend time here in Colorado?

Welcome to the forum,good luck on finding some rides. Go hang out at the airport,get friendly with the pilots,and you should do OK.

Little tear sheet with your qualifications and contact info, plus obviously state you'll split expenses with them, I'm sure you'll get some bites.

If I someone came up to me with that offer Id have no trouble letting them shotgun some hours in my plane with me, presuming they didn't come off like a secrete squirrel or anything.

You could also talk to some pilots around the flight school, if there is one, probably find a couple PPLs building time towards their CPL.

I know we have at least a few people here from the northwest Denver metro area. We occasionally fly places for breakfast/lunch. I usually manage to hitch a ride because I don't have an airplane. Keep on the lookout for people posting threads about this. We also sometimes get together for a non-flying meal or BBQ. Perfect BBQ weather today! :D
That's right, the Annual Frostbite BBQ at Clark's hangar!

Rick...first CPA flyin is first weekend in March to Casa Grande. The CPA newsletter just got posted to the website. Also, keep an eye on Socialflight.com for trips and possible ride alongs.

G-man, Eric, both on the NW side of the Front Range.

Last edited:
Thanks, Mark and JoseCuervo. Joined the EAA last month, and just joined the Colorado Pilots Association (used you as a referral, Mark, hope that gets you something). By the way, it looks like you list your location at Chapel Hill, NC, but seem knowledgeable about the Denver/Boulder area. Do you spend time here in Colorado?
20 years flying and instructing in Colorado, at KAPA. Those folks are among the best of my friends. The thing I miss most.

With Rick, we're up to 46 CO-POA with an additional 4 outliers.

Rick,
Welcome! I'm in Boulder. Let's have beer or coffee and talk flying.

I've been called many things by many people, and "quiet" is very rarely on the list!

I sent Boulderick an email. He's probably hunkered down from the snow, but hopefully we'll meet up and I'll prep him to meet the CO-POA gang.

Take a look at tenhiflyers.com at BJC. Unfortunately, we have a waiting list to get into the club right now but you never know when that might change.

Poor guy had to bail and now he's a conflicted soul about Super Bowl 50. ;)
Conflicted? Hah!

I get to cheer for my two home teams both and be very happy no matter who wins so long as it is well played by both teams. I can't imagine a better scenario for 50. :yes:

Back