Recommendations for a fast taildragger

Yeah, trip B you're much better off in an airliner for more reasons than just money unless you can be very flexible in your schedule for coming and going. Trip A you can do in nearly anything pretty efficiently. Where in SoCal? Where are a good range of flying clubs with a variety of planes. If I lived in San Diego, I'd just join Plus One Flyers.

North of LA between Camarillo and Santa Barbara

I will do that... sweet plane... looks like a great price... what will this particular one cruise at? But lots of people on here say that a new pilot shouldn't be flying such a plane? If properly instructed, why not? And thank you!

Some worry that jumping into a high-power retract too early is unwise. With proper training and good habits instilled early, I think it can work out. An aircraft very similar (the T-34) was used as a primary trainer for years.

I have been reading that to become a great pilot, you must fly a taildragger, or if you did fly one, you become better.

Most of my hours are in taildraggers (including all but one of my student pilot hours) and I wouldn't say that it has made me any more than a mediocre pilot.

I love tail draggers... I love them to no end. That said, most aren't good traveling airplanes. In your profiles, taxi, take-off, & landing (i.e.. the portion of the flight where the tailwheel skills are needed) represent no more than 5% of your operation. I recommend a tricycle gear airplane designed as a trip airplane and just renting a taildragger when the stick and rudder urge hits.

So, like, why would a Cessna 172 be so much better for traveling than a 170? Or 182 / 185, or...

So, like, why would a Cessna 172 be so much better for traveling than a 170? Or 182 / 185, or...
I've seen a few TW pilots that were scared of running into cross winds and that reduced the trips they were willing to take.

You land with a tri-gear. ...., ho-hum ....... boring :rolleyes2:

You arrive with a tail wheel. :blowingkisses:

:)

I will do that... sweet plane... looks like a great price... what will this particular one cruise at? But lots of people on here say that a new pilot shouldn't be flying such a plane? If properly instructed, why not? And thank you!

The book says 172Kts cruise. Real world plan for 165-ish. As for new pilots and high performance planes, it's that the mistakes at slower speed without prop, gear, and cowl flap controls won't do as much damage. When you move up in speed and complexity, things happen faster, and mistakes are less forgiving. However, as has been noted, the Beech of very similar build was used as the primary trainer for military pilots for many, many years with good success.

The Bonanza is not a training aircraft, but that doesn't mean it can't be used for that. More than one pilot has bought a Bonanza and learned to fly in it. Some have gone on to exceed their ability to handle the plane, and killed themselves in rather spectacular fashion. It would be like starting to drive in a Ferrari F-40, which is doable, but not recommended.

I prefer your earlier idea of buying and learning in a slower tailwheel plane which will provide excellent training in ground handling, and make you a better overall landing pilot. Once you get those skills down solid, landing a Bonanza or other complex fast plane a breeze. This was the route I took, as I started with a Citabria, and became proficient, then moved on to a Grumman 4 seat, and then to the Bonanza. Once you learn it, the Bonanza is a pussycat to handle on the ground, but like all cats, it has claws and can scratch you.

The Bonanza is one of the easiest flying and easiest to land planes out there, easier to land than any of the trainers that's for sure. Where trouble can lie is in 'getting behind the airplane' in your thought process, and the solution is rather simple, slow down some. The plane will fly as comfortably at 100 kts as it will at 165. Your max gross stall speed in a J-35 is 48kts IIRC, not much greater than that of a 172. One of the nice features on the Beech is it has an indexed trim indicator so you can accurately reproduce your trim setting (which governs your speed) every time. This is one of the features that allows you to make consistently good landings every time. It also has the simplest of retract systems and rugged gear. In Australia it's the preferred 'Bush Plane'.

Cruise speed depends on the fuel you want to burn. The J-35 typically will have a 260hp IO-470 in it which will get you around 165kts for 16gph down to around 147kts for 12gph in the 7500'-9500' range. You can burn some more and go some faster but it will cost you in both fuel and maintenance.

Last edited:
No, I thought you meant, like "sweat" as in some of these planes are darn hot!!

Hot inside? I fly in Miami. Altitude is your friend. Once you get a mile or so of air beneath you, it is all good.

So look at this... not a taildragger but in budget and might fit the mission:

1966 MOONEY M20E SUPER 21 • $39,500 • FOR SALE Wonderful 1966 Mooney M20E, Super 21, $39,500 OBO reduced from $42,000, 4010TT, Engine 750 SMOH, quiet and smooth 3 blade Hartzell Prop 575 SNEW, Weep-No-More re-sealed tanks (permanent solution to leaky tank problem). Upgraded grey leather interior installed 2006, KLN90B GPS, Garmin Digital Transponder, Premium Leather Yoke Upgrade, Digital engine monitor (talks to you if something is wrong!), annual inspection done in April, updated panel. Great plane for cross country and local flights. Flown regularly, just received my commercial and looking to purchase six seat plane. • Contact Mark J. Nyquist, Owner - located Plymouth, MN USA • Telephone: 612-669-8762 . • Posted January 3, 2014 • Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdV

That would likely work very well for you, just sit in it with someone next to you and see if you're comfortable, some people are, some people aren't, but a Money is a well built plane.

A Mooney could do both missions. A glider rating will give you the old world stick and rudder skills. Go join mooneyspace.com forum. Lots of newer pilots there and discussions about training in higher performance complex.

That MN Mooney doesn't have an auto pilot but otherwise looks pretty nice. Lots of deals on Mooneys right now if you can find a good one. I just did!

"The wind blowing right on the top of the wings. That'll just suck you out of the sky". Well I guess being competent with an airplane is more important than actually understanding what's going on. :)
That's a pretty fair statement. Just look at the "aerodynamics" the FAA publishes for pilots - comparing an "airfoil" to half a venturi for example.

DC3 project meeds a little work but fits in his budget and is a fast tail dragger. :rofl::goofy:http://www.aviatorsale.com/aix800/

Since the engines need rebuilt. It will exceed his budget. I just one of my r1830-92 engines to the rebuild shop. It only had 210 hours on it and it started making metal in the screen. My cost of overhaul is $60k

So add $120k to the price of that plane to rebuild the engines.

Then don't forget the labor cost of about $10k to remove and replace the engine. Plus oil cooler and tank cleaning / testing / yellow tag of about $1,600. Plus new hoses another $3k and 26 gal of oil per engine.
All current prices since I'm in the middle of doing this now.

Gary

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I could almost guarantee after he fly's that long trip one time, he'll want an auto-pilot.

You may as well add that cost in.

I could almost guarantee after he fly's that long trip one time, he'll want an auto-pilot.

Or just add in the cost of having the airplane properly rigged. I used to wish I had an A/P for long trips in the 170....and then found an A&P who knew how to adjust it!

Since the engines need rebuilt. It will exceed his budget. I just one of my r1830-92 engines to the rebuild shop. It only had 210 hours on it and it started making metal in the screen. My cost of overhaul is $60k

So add $120k to the price of that plane to rebuild the engines.

Then don't forget the labor cost of about $10k to remove and replace the engine. Plus oil cooler and tank cleaning / testing / yellow tag of about $1,600. Plus new hoses another $3k and 26 gal of oil per engine.
All current prices since I'm in the middle of doing this now.

Gary

Gary,
Which -3 did you buy?

Meh, 2500+hrs, most of it long cross country, 25hrs with a working autopilot. It's at the bottom of my 'to do' list.

So look at this... not a taildragger but in budget and might fit the mission:
1966 MOONEY M20E SUPER 21

Wait - whut? You were all hot for a Bo and now you're looking at a Mooney? Sacrilege.

Mooney's are good planes, and economical to run. Tight fit inside. Keep shopping though.

180 hp RV4, good looking, easy to fly, goes real good. Other wise a mooney super 21. All this after I learned to fly and had a private ticket and some hours in my log book. More money? Mooney 201.

180 hp RV4, good looking, easy to fly, goes real good. Other wise a mooney super 21. All this after I learned to fly and had a private ticket and some hours in my log book. More money? Mooney 201.

Take off wing tip to wing tip, after 5 minutes all that RV will see is the tail nav light of the Glassair.

Gary,
Which -3 did you buy?

Not to hijack the thread. I purchased this three in August from Thun field near Seattle. We lost the left engine in November at 210 hours. Can't wait to get it back in the air and take 19 of my close friends to lunch (19+ 2 crew ). Full insurance for that many sob is 24k per year.
Engine left three days ago for rebuild and will be ready for installation in five weeks. Can't wait !

y9epahu2.jpg

Not to hijack the thread. I purchased this three in August from Thun field near Seattle. We lost the left engine in November at 210 hours. Can't wait to get it back in the air and take 19 of my close friends to lunch (19+ 2 crew ). Full insurance for that many sob is 24k per year.
Engine left three days ago for rebuild and will be ready for installation in five weeks. Can't wait !

y9epahu2.jpg

Did you partner with Daniel Wotring?

y9epahu2.jpg

Are you considering adopting a 35 year old?

Did you partner with Daniel Wotring?

Yes. Daniel and I are partners in the SNJ5 and I'm the main partner in the 3 ( the one with a pocket that's getting picked from loosing the engine. )

Gary

The Bonanza is one of the easiest flying and easiest to land planes out there, easier to land than any of the trainers that's for sure. Where trouble can lie is in 'getting behind the airplane' in your thought process, and the solution is rather simple, slow down some. The plane will fly as comfortably at 100 kts as it will at 165. Your max gross stall speed in a J-35 is 48kts IIRC, not much greater than that of a 172. One of the nice features on the Beech is it has an indexed trim indicator so you can accurately reproduce your trim setting (which governs your speed) every time. This is one of the features that allows you to make consistently good landings every time. It also has the simplest of retract systems and rugged gear. In Australia it's the preferred 'Bush Plane'.

Cruise speed depends on the fuel you want to burn. The J-35 typically will have a 260hp IO-470 in it which will get you around 165kts for 16gph down to around 147kts for 12gph in the 7500'-9500' range. You can burn some more and go some faster but it will cost you in both fuel and maintenance.

- Bo's easier to land than my Cherokee.
- It's easy to fly, up to the point that it's not. You shouldn't get to that point unintentionally.
- N35 was the first model the IO-470N showed up with 260HP, before that it was 250HP or lower.
- I'm full nose up trim landing.
- I stall, at 60 MPH indicated, or within a MPH or two in about any configuration/loading.
- I plan 160 knots at 14GPH, I usually get 162 knots at 13.5. I try to fly in the 6,500-11,500' range depending on winds.

Beautiful plane.

The uber tail dragger DC-3. What a sound they make!

I want to thank everyone for all your contributions to this thread... very educational and helpful to me. I am not going to think about this for a while as I focus on studying for the written test next month. Once I get my certificate, I will start thinking about buying a plane.

Back