Recommend me a first headset

topdog91

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
topdog91
So, I'm 11 days from starting my PPL, and it's time to get a headset.

Criteria:
  • Not ridiculously expensive - I'm not sure how much I'll fly in the short-term after the PPL course.
  • Lightweight / comfortable. I have lots of experience with audio headphones and something that clamps too hard is a drag after a while. I'm quite a small guy for what it's worth.
  • Great noise reduction. I'm a musician so very aware of the need to protect the ears. Also it will be nice to hear the ATC as clearly as possible.
  • I would regard music inputs / Bluetooth as "nice-to-have" but definitely not necessary.

So I'm looking at:

Faro G2 ANR for a good-value ANR option, which also has good PNR if the batteries go. 23db PNR, 29db ANR, I've read both 13 and 23 oz - maybe 13 is for their PNR version? (Manufacturer link)

Rugged Radios RA200 for a good-value full-stop option. Yes they are cheap, but the reviews are very promising. 24dB PNR, 13.4 oz. (Manufacturer link)

It's really a tough call. I'm watching every shekel (as we all know flying isn't cheap), and that extra $300 could go a long way.

The Quiet Technologies Halo looks great but they're out of stock. I've heard (probably unfounded) rumours that earplugs vs muffs are not good because even though they sound quiet, some bone is still unprotected noise.

I'll be learning in Lakeland, and the Pilot Mall there has a great selection of headsets but sadly neither of my preferred options. I'm happy to buy from Amazon, they have a great return policy if I find they don't fit or whatever.

I'd prefer not to get generic responses like "invest in the Bose / Lightspeed" or "never buy anything cheap", I think I've explained enough above. Answers from owners of the above two especially welcome, but of course everyone is welcome to chip in.

Last edited:
Look for a set of used QT Halos or try to skimp by on a borrowed set until they come back in stock. I own a Bose X, Lightspeed Zulu 1, and a QT Halo. I haven't put on either ANR set since I bought the Halos, and I wish I'd bought them years ago. With ANR headsets, you get what you pay for (IMHO and IME). I'd rather buy a used Bose X or Zulu (can be had for under $500) than a "new" low-end ANR.

I started with David Clarks but after about 150 hours I switched to Clarity Alofts, and they are fantastic. I've been wearing them for the past 2,000 hours and you couldn't pay me to switch back to an over the head headset. I use them flying my 182 and flying the jet at work. The quality is great and the customer service was great the one time I needed some repair work. That would be recommendation. I love the in ear and how there is nothing over your head, wear whatever glasses you want etc.

Do you think it will be cheaper to buy a cheap head set now and buy a good one later? I think you will wind up spending significantly more that way.

Take it from someone that has to wear two hearing aids to be able to hear his engine that it is worth taking care of your hearing.

I suggest you contact Shane (Archamme) at the Squawk Shoppe. He posts on this board.

edit; ok I just read your whole post. It does sound like you are asking good questions and understand about your hearing. I tend to jump the gun when I think someone is talking about cutting corners where their hearing is concerned.
eh, what's that you said?:mad2: I hate it when I have to say that all the time.

Last edited:
I bought a beat up Bose X for $200. New ear seals and a good cleaning and good as new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Student pilot here, I got the cheapo Avcomm Headset AC-200, which look similar to the Rugged you posted. I got a sweet deal brand new for $75 on Amazon, they're $115 now. They can be kind of hot, but no complaints otherwise. Also, I have nothing to compare them to. My instructor was lending me a similar set before I got mine. Worst case, you have a 2nd set for a passenger or you sell them to another student pilot and recover some $$.

Also, as far as head vice issues. The instructions tell you where to bend the metal bracket to adjust the tension, maybe some are overlooking that step.

All the raves about the in-ear models have me curious to try that, but when I do, I'll have my passenger set already.

That'll be 2 cents please.

Edit: I'll add that the passive noise reduction seems good to me, the manufacturer specs for this model list 24db PNR. Not sure how that compares to expensive models.

Last edited:
Wow, lots to answer.

Esquire99, I had a look on Ebay for used Halos - *nothing*. I haven't read a bad word about the Faro G2 anywhere, but I'll research the two used ones you mention.

Almost, that's a bit of a non-sequitur, I had hoped to leave the "cheap is automatically bad" comments out of the thread. As for taking care of the hearing, I agree, hence bothering to research the matter. db is db, the reviews of the RA200 are great, and any "failings" are likely to be about matters like quality, comfort, longevity, etc, rather than lack of protection..

Tmpendergrass, another Bose X recommendation, I'll check it out.

I'm not somebody who always buys things new, far from it actually, but in this case I do regard a return policy as important (item may not fit well, etc.)...

Last edited:
I sent Faro a message on FB to check the weight. 23oz including cables (Emily said that some manufacturers weigh without cables). Also they have a 10% off promotion at present, that's $350. What to do???

I guess check Ebay for secondhand and get even more confused...

Oh, RA200 has a seven year warranty, Faro G2 three. Not bad on either count...

Wow, lots to answer.

Esquire99, I had a look on Ebay for used Halos - *nothing*. I haven't read a bad word about the Faro G2 anywhere, but I'll research the two used ones you mention.

Almost, that's a bit of a non-sequitur, I had hoped to leave the "cheap is automatically bad" comments out of the thread. As for taking care of the hearing, I agree, hence bothering to research the matter. db is db, the reviews of the RA200 are great, and any "failings" are likely to be about matters like quality, comfort, longevity, etc, rather than lack of protection..

Tmpendergrass, another Bose X recommendation, I'll check it out.

I'm not somebody who always buys things new, far from it actually, but in this case I do regard a return policy as important (item may not fit well, etc.)...

Check out the various forums (AOPA, Beechtalk, Mooneyspace, etc.), I see Halos pop up from time to time (even on here).

On the "cheap is automatically bad," I certainly don't believe that in general terms, but I have used a fair number of "cheap" GA headsets and they've been, almost universally, ****ty. Between build quality, noise attenuation and comfort, I have yet to come across a "cheap" ANR headset that I'd be willing to wear for any prolonged period of time (the less-expensive in-ear stuff aside). I get not wanting to drop $1k on a new ANR headset, which is why (if you can't get a Halo or Clarity Aloft) I recommend looking for a used, high quality (Bose, Lightspeed) ANR set rather than a new "low quality" one.

Esquire99, makes sense. I've just been on Ebay and I can't find a Bose or Lightspeed anywhere near $400, let alone the $350 I'm struggling to justify with the Faro... Used Halos are like gold dust.

I'm most likely at this point to let head win over heart, minimize my expenditure, and go with the RA200. If they are bad, I can always return them. Remember one of my points above, I'm not sure how much flying I'll do immediately after my PPL (got two more years of a second-degree going on, and I work full-time).

Just before clicking send, I saw these. I guess they'll go for more than $400, but I might have a go anyway. Seller with good feedback, accepts returns...

Get these now, then use them as a pax headset after you get your ticket.

I don't own them (I have D-C ANRs which I love) but I tried on a set of the Faros in a test both and was quite impressed.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Esquire99, makes sense. I've just been on Ebay and I can't find a Bose or Lightspeed anywhere near $400, let alone the $350 I'm struggling to justify with the Faro... Used Halos are like gold dust.

I'm most likely at this point to let head win over heart, minimize my expenditure, and go with the RA200. If they are bad, I can always return them. Remember one of my points above, I'm not sure how much flying I'll do immediately after my PPL (got two more years of a second-degree going on, and I work full-time).

Just before clicking send, I saw these. I guess they'll go for more than $400, but I might have a go anyway. Seller with good feedback, accepts returns...

You won't find the good deals on eBay, you'll find them on the forums (or even on Craigslist). For example, I've seen multiple Bose and Lightspeed sets sell on Beechtalk for $350-450, in some cases less than that. And they sell regularly, probably at least one listing per week for used high-end ANR headsets. A little patience and you'll score a good find.

I'd still be patient and wait for a set of Halos. You won't regret it.

I've got several headsets. Might sell set of soft coms for couple hundred. They are pretty good headsets. Pilot mall has a stand as does gulf coast avionics at lakeland Linder. Pm me if interested in what I might have. Might have older set of lightspeed anr set around also.

I've always been over the ear because I hate on ear.

Clarke H10-20's (owned 4, still have 2)
Clarke H10-13x (ANR, passenger likes it for some reason)
Bose X (I still like it a lot)
Clarity Aloft (bought two after Oshkosk, all I wear now)

If you have a Bose QC-2 style headset for music you can get the uFly Mic for $250. I love that when I travel so I can use the QC-2's on commercial flight and still plug in to do some GA for fun. They're a nice option.

Eventually, you will want something like the Bose A20's or Lightspeed Zulu.2

But save the extra dollars for now and put to your training.

Another model to look for in the $300-ish range are the Lightspeed 30-3G's. These are ANR and will do fine for training and become your passenger set later.

I personally use the LS Zulu.2's, but also own the Quiet Technology Halo. Which I use depends on what I'm doing and mood.

It's not a matter of patience, it's a matter of I start training in 11 days and I'll need something by then. This was the first sentence of the first post. :)

Current plan: if I don't get a decent deal on a second-hand high-end ANR or Halos (which seem great - and I'm a musician and audiophile so I get excited by balanced armatures), I'll get the RA200s from Amazon. If they don't do the job during my training (and from the reviews it's quite hard to believe that I'll hate them), I can see what the shops at Lakeland have.

I know all about investing in good stuff, but I also know about the right value at the right time. Mike, the Boss X for sale in the link is $550, I'm pretty happy to max out at $400 given all considerations.

Bang-for-the-buck the Flightcom Denali ANR is hard to beat. They are a fraction of what most other ANR's cost and they are so light and comfortable, plus they come in a nice case. I ordered one pair and liked them so much I ordered a second. They have served me well...so much so that I have never been tempted to order the high dollar Bose and Lightspeed ANR's.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/av/headsets_anr_flight/denalid50anr.php

I have tried on a Faro headset and it is much more comfortable than the comparable ASA model. ASA is very uncomfortable. The FA200 looks like a rebadged ASA.

I have a Sigtronics ANR headset I don't need. It takes a 9-volt battery which I've read lasts about 20 hours. I don't know how old it is or if it's still under warranty. I previously listed it here in the classified for $200. No takers so I'll drop it to $150 plus shipping and I'll offer a 30 day refund.

Buy your last headset first.

You only have 2 ears.Flying is expense and so are hearing aids. Headsets are 1/10 the cost of hearing aids.

If flying doesn't work out a good set will holds its value. If flying works out you will be able to hear a conversation without hearing aids.

I use lightspeed Zulu 2, and PRX. I wear hearing aids due to "conditions" before I started flying.

David Clark for durability. Mine are approaching 30.
Bose for best performance.
Lighjtspeed for cost-effectiveness.

I'm still in the QT Halo camp. Cheap, light, and effective. Flew 8+ hours in a day without a headache or even mild discomfort.

I'm still in the QT Halo camp. Cheap, light, and effective. Flew 8+ hours in a day without a headache or even mild discomfort.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't in love with this idea. I love IEMs for listening to music, this is a logical move for me... If I could find one..

Question for you and other Halo owners, how does it play with other passengers' different headsets? Any issues with volume levels, intercom, radio etc?

. Mike, the Boss X for sale in the link is $550, I'm pretty happy to max out at $400 given all considerations.

You can always make contact with him and make appropriate offer for fast sale... Raise your budget a might and he might come down to meet you.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't in love with this idea. I love IEMs for listening to music, this is a logical move for me... If I could find one..

Question for you and other Halo owners, how does it play with other passengers' different headsets? Any issues with volume levels, intercom, radio etc?

Very well, and no issues.

I have no audio issues and you have volume controls for each ear. If anything, the audio is better than any over ear I've tried.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Is that a recent addition? The Halos I have is just a single volume adjustment
Perhaps. Mine were built after the last sun n fun. Mine have a stereo/mono switch and two audio wheels side by side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I know Bose was initially frowned upon for cost reasons, but I think they're still doing 12 monthly payments no interest billed to your own existing credit card. I did that for my wife last year. Bose A20 w/ Bluetooth. NICE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This sounds very familiar to me. Your original post sounds exactly like what I was thinking myself a little while back.

I went through my first 25 hours or so using a cheap headset, and they worked well enough, given I had nothing else to compare things to. I didn't really notice them... until I did my long solo cross country... in the heat in Texas... in the summer. Then they got annoying. When taking them off after a long flight, it felt like taking my head out of a hot sweaty vice. That's when I started looking for something just like you are. I also didn't want to look at the $1000 headsets. If I knew I'd pick the right set, I wouldn't mind the investment, but I wasn't interested in shopping for the perfect headset at the time.

I ended up getting the Halo heedset thinking they'd be a reasonable investment for now. I really, really like them. The only downside is that they take a little extra time to untangle the cord, adjust them on your head, and roll the little earplugs. The cord is a bit more delicate than a regular headset and you just have to take your time with them and be a little more careful with them. For a flight it's not a problem, but it's slightly annoying if you're just repositioning the airplane to get gas or something and you have an instructor waiting on you to do it. The only other "negative" is that they're so light and unobtrusive that you have to remember to take them off when you shut down or you'll start to walk off with them still plugged in. I never had that problem with the cheap brain squeezers.

I bought the yellow version and I'm glad I did. It makes them a bit more obvious if you leave them sitting somewhere and you're less likely to sit on them. I just looked at the Halo website, and it shows that they have a few of the yellow ones in stock. If you don't mind yellow, then you could get a pair of those now.

Back