Recommend me a first headset

I tried a bunch of ANR headsets at the last, final AOPA Summit/Expo in Ft. Worth in October 2013. First, I DETEST in-ear or on-ear anythings (especially at home for the classical music I mostly listen to), so those models were a non-starter. Frankly, I was of like mind to you, wanting to spend no more than about $300-400.

I ended up buying the DRE-6001 from Headsets, Inc. Go to http://www.headsetsinc.com/Headsets.html and scroll down to the DRE-6001. It uses a 9-volt battery, which seems to last me 40-50 hours. For $399 (I paid $349 at the AOPA Summit, IIRC), I thought it was a terrific deal on a very nice product.

Good luck to you!

Gerry

I just sprung the extra and got a refurbished Bose Aviation X. I don't regret it for one second. I did my PPL from 0 to Certificate in two months so I was flying 3 days a week and several times twice a day. The nice headset kept me comfortable even when my back and butt were tired (DV-20's arent the most comfortable planes in the world)

QT Halo. Best headset I've used in over 11,000 hours of flying. I've used them in everything from two-seat GA airplanes to the B737. They are worth waiting for.

Rent or borrow a cheap headset while you wait for your Halo.

I currently have a Clarity Aloft. How do you guys find that compares to the Halo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, I'm 11 days from starting my PPL, and it's time to get a headset.

Criteria:
  • Not ridiculously expensive - I'm not sure how much I'll fly in the short-term after the PPL course.
  • Lightweight / comfortable. I have lots of experience with audio headphones and something that clamps too hard is a drag after a while. I'm quite a small guy for what it's worth.
  • Great noise reduction. I'm a musician so very aware of the need to protect the ears. Also it will be nice to hear the ATC as clearly as possible.
  • I would regard music inputs / Bluetooth as "nice-to-have" but definitely not necessary.

So I'm looking at:

Faro G2 ANR for a good-value ANR option, which also has good PNR if the batteries go. 23db PNR, 29db ANR, I've read both 13 and 23 oz - maybe 13 is for their PNR version? (Manufacturer link)

Rugged Radios RA200 for a good-value full-stop option. Yes they are cheap, but the reviews are very promising. 24dB PNR, 13.4 oz. (Manufacturer link)

It's really a tough call. I'm watching every shekel (as we all know flying isn't cheap), and that extra $300 could go a long way.

The Quiet Technologies Halo looks great but they're out of stock. I've heard (probably unfounded) rumours that earplugs vs muffs are not good because even though they sound quiet, some bone is still unprotected noise.

I'll be learning in Lakeland, and the Pilot Mall there has a great selection of headsets but sadly neither of my preferred options. I'm happy to buy from Amazon, they have a great return policy if I find they don't fit or whatever.

I'd prefer not to get generic responses like "invest in the Bose / Lightspeed" or "never buy anything cheap", I think I've explained enough above. Answers from owners of the above two especially welcome, but of course everyone is welcome to chip in.

The fact is, you have no idea what will be comfortable. I went with David Clarks because they are a simple reliable passive noise reduction headset and if. by chance I hated them, I could sell them and get most of my money back. It turns out that I loved them. I got mine on Craigslist like new for a fraction of the $300+ they sell for. If you're going to own a plane, they're perfect as a passenger set.

I currently have a Clarity Aloft. How do you guys find that compares to the Halo?
I haven't tried the CA but think they would be very similar to the Halo. I'd like to hear from someone with experience with both who can compare them.

The CA is more expensive but they offer (an even more expensive) TSO'd version, which the QT Halo does not. I like the Halo's method of putting the speaker on the headband and using a tube to bring the audio to the earplug. It 'seems' like the CA's design of running wires to the speaker which is inside the earplug would be susceptible to damage but I've never heard any reports of that being a problem.

If I needed a TSO'd headset it would definitely be the TSO'd Clarity Aloft.

I used DC H10-30s or H10-13.4 for years. Indestructible. However if you ever fly with a quality ANR you will NEVER go back. Less clamping force, and merciful quiet. I should have bought my Lightspeed Zulu much earlier. You will eventually want a quality ANR anyway. Might as well start there. Used is an option to save money if necessary.

Get a good ANR headset. Having the peace and quiet is well worth it. You can pick up Bose X or Lightspeed Zulu used in the $350 range easily. I like the Bose, my 9 and 11 year olds both prefer Lightspeed. Try on a pair at your flight school and see what fits your head the best.

Just use the schools loaners till you get your ticket, spend as little as you can on swag til than, frankly with how many folks drop out, don't spend bucks to potentially sell stuff for penny's on the dollar.

As far as top headsets go, Lightspeed is top notch, my Zulu 1s have thousands of hours on them, great product and the company handles any wear and tear very well.

The school doesn't have headsets. A Zulu is out of my price range. I don't have time to make my own...

The school doesn't have headsets. A Zulu is out of my price range. I don't have time to make my own...

Look on ebay and Craig's.

Plenty of guys who dropped out and are selling their stuff.

Back