Reason to upgrade to windows 8?

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
Last weekend I refreshed my Windows 7 system. I already have the service pack 1 on DVD so I installed it right after reinstalling windows 7.

Then there are around 120 updates to Windows 7 to do. I noticed the slow down to the machine after all the updates again. But it is still better than it was.

So, do you all think this makes the upgrade to 8 worthwhile? Just to bypass all this update crap? I would use the desktop mode anyways.

David

If you like Windows 8, then it's worth it. It's a good OS under the hood.

I happen to hate the interface (apparently along with many others, judging by the tepid sales), but that's a personal preference.

If you choose to keep 7, a little clean-up / tune-up after all the updates are done can zip it up a bit. They leave quite the trail of carnage. If nothing else, run CCleaner (including the registry cleaner) after all is said and done.

-Rich

I actually hate Windows 8 on my son's laptop, but I love it installed on a Windows 7 tablet I bought about 18 months ago. The interface is very tablet/touch friendly, but I went back to Windows 7 on the laptop.

I just upgraded to Windows 8 because my Vista didn't seem to be able to handle a 2tb hard drive I installed. There is a learning curve to the 8 and I am working on learning it. It is a challenge.

If you like Windows 8, then it's worth it. It's a good OS under the hood.

I happen to hate the interface (apparently along with many others, judging by the tepid sales), but that's a personal preference.

If you choose to keep 7, a little clean-up / tune-up after all the updates are done can zip it up a bit. They leave quite the trail of carnage. If nothing else, run CCleaner (including the registry cleaner) after all is said and done.

-Rich

Took me around fifteen or twenty mins to find the friggin calculator in Windows 8, on my wife's Samsung Ativ!

What ever happened to ...Start-Programs-Accessories :confused: or the Start menu/button? :mad2:

I'm sticking with 7 on my laptop (which I rarely use since buying an iPad 2)

Last edited:
I personally don't think the average end-user has any reason to upgrade their operating system. Just wait until you get a new computer. However, if your existing, not too old, system is needing a re-install to fix some major problem... then you might consider an upgrade.
For those ID 10 Ts out there that bad-mouth Window8 because of the interface and/or the lack of a start button... Geez- get the free program from iobit.com called "start menu 8" or another called "classic shell". In 15 seconds the start menu will be back, along with the rest of what you miss, and the new interface will still be available for touch screens.

Haven't used Windows 8 but my sister's school just upgraded all the teachers. She is in a major tizzy... none of her electronic grade books, e-rooms, etc. are working. She's not happy.

Windows 8 is a navigation nightmare. Even on my tablet, the only way to close programs is to use the task manager, which is to the far right of the "all programs" page, which itself takes 3 steps to get to. Oh, and I can't power it off until I first sign out as a user, which, apparently, gives me the only access to the traditional desktop, but still no start menu. :mad2:

What ever happened to ...Start-Programs-Accessories :confused: or the Start menu/button? :mad2:

'Tried to volunteer helping our kid's schools teachers with computers...OMG, they're the worst! 'Never could figure out why, eventually gave up. And I'm the type that figures any learning problems are mine, not theirs.

the only way to close programs is to use the task manager:

You just move the mouse to the top of the screen until it becomes a hand, then hold the left button and drag the window down, and let go. Or, if you have a touch screen, just swipe down from the top.

It sounds like you shouldn't be using the new interface... Use program I mentioned above to fix things.

Windows 8 is a navigation nightmare. Even on my tablet, the only way to close programs is to use the task manager, which is to the far right of the "all programs" page, which itself takes 3 steps to get to. Oh, and I can't power it off until I first sign out as a user, which, apparently, gives me the only access to the traditional desktop, but still no start menu. :mad2:

Yes, I forgot to mention how these two things were driving my wife crazy:rolleyes:. Navigation nightmare is right!

So we're supposed to download third party programs and apps, to "fix things".... No thanks:rolleyes2:

I'm happy with my iPad and Win7 on my laptop, but if she gave me her Ativ as a gift, I'd wipe out 8 and put 7 on it:yes:

Last edited:
I read this online. When I swipe down from the top on my tablet nothing happens unless I'm on a webpage, then I get the url. I don't even care anymore. My Nexus 7 arrives Monday.....

You just move the mouse to the top of the screen until it becomes a hand, then hold the left button and drag the window down, and let go. Or, if you have a touch screen, just swipe down from the top.

It sounds like you shouldn't be using the new interface... Use program I mentioned above to fix things.

So we're supposed to download third party programs and apps, to "fix things".... No thanks:rolleyes2:
I'm happy with my iPad and Win7 on my laptop, but if she gave me her Ativ as a gift, I'd wipe out 8 and put 7 on it:yes:

So, I guess you never downloaded a screen saver before it was built into the OS, or won't be downloading apps for your Nexus that don't come with the shipped unit?...

And you apparently would cut off your arm if you get a sliver in your hand?:rofl:

So, I guess you never downloaded a screen saver before it was built into the OS, or won't be downloading apps for your Nexus that don't come with the shipped unit?...

And you apparently would cut off your arm if you get a sliver in your hand?:rofl:

No, I just think that an "upgraded" operating system interface should be less of a PITA to navigate than it's predecessor. If it takes me longer to do common task, then I don't need that upgrade.

We are talking about "reasons to upgrade" correct?

Last edited:
Yes...
Overall, Windows 8 does have many "improvements" but, like I've said, I don't think any operating system has had enough to cause the average person to "upgrade". When the time comes (new system?) Windows 8 offers: Support for touch screens (be it phone, tablet, laptop, or desktop), better support for multiple monitors, Cloud syncing of account info and settings, a better browser, file copying improvements, easier personalization, better system restore and reset, faster startup, better disk checker/fixer, better file history storage, secure boot, better printer discovery, built-in Antivirus, better security, picture passwords, and more. Many "under the hood" improvements help fight malware, make recovery from problems easier, and add support for emerging new technologies.
If Microsoft hadn't made the mistake of making the new interface the default, I suspect it would have received universal acclaim. But that is fixable in 15 seconds, and shouldn't be the cause for so much, un-informed, bad talk.
Hey, some folks, notably those with tablets and touch screens, love the new interface. For the most part, I think it sucks.

I find it interesting now that Bill Gates is gone that we have no more flight sim and it seems that maybe the company is facing other challenges.

I am in the crowd that doesn't consider Windows 8 and upgrade :(.

No, I just think that an "upgraded" operating system interface should be less of a PITA to navigate than it's predecessor. If it takes me longer to do common task, then I don't need that upgrade.

We are talking about "reasons to upgrade" correct?

That's exactly how I feel. Or at least leave the old UI there as a selectable option.

-Rich

Took me around fifteen or twenty mins to find the friggin calculator in Windows 8, on my wife's Samsung Ativ!

Just hit start and then type calc, its all searchable and indexed or you can hit start and show all apps button

Its a bit of a change, but for the better. Or hit win + r and type calc and hit enter

I find it interesting now that Bill Gates is gone that we have no more flight sim and it seems that maybe the company is facing other challenges.

Microsoft has 70 billion cash reserves, 10 product lines producing over a billion each quarter and their sales have been growing.. where exactly is this doing bad idea coming from? Its apple after all that has recently lost so much valuation.

Ms just launched office 365, windows blue update is increasing functionality in windows 8 and providing more developer apis here soon and we will have the next generation Xbox launch this holiday.

Ms had never hedged its future on flight Sims, but I wouldn't mind seeing them rebuild fsx franchise though!

I'm using Windows 8 on a Surface Pro and a desktop. I agree it was designed for a touch screen but works OK with only a couple of annoyances on the desktop, and I'm getting them figured out.
I was pretty cranky for a couple of weeks but now it's fine. Part of it is learning new things, part of it is doing old things differently.
I would upgrade if you have a reason to and wait if you're doing alright now. There is 8.1 or something coming out this summer.

"Start Menu 8" makes Windows 8 usable on a desktop. I gave the new interface a few months. It's not me, it just sucks.

I haven't switched, and I don't intend to until either I'm forced, or an update is released by MS restoring the traditional UI.

I know I could always download "Start Menu 8" or any of the other third-party mods, but it's more of a protest thing. When MS makes the product to my liking, they'll get my money. Until then, they won't.

That's assuming, of course, that my ongoing efforts to make all the parts of Adobe CS work perfectly on Linux don't succeed. If they do, then I probably will never purchase Windows 8. Everything else I use a computer for, I can do on Linux. Adobe CS is the only reason I need Windows at all.

Even at that, I don't really need Windows. I'm just used to it. Another option I'm increasingly leaning toward, if Microsoft doesn't come to their senses and give users a choice, is to buy a Mac Book Pro to run the Adobe stuff. I have never cared for the whole Mac experience, but I hate it less than I hate the Windows 8 experience. So really, the only reason I use Windows rather than Mac is because I'm more accustomed to the interface and like it better. If MS wants to take that away from me, then why bother "upgrading" at all?

I'm still hoping that a future incarnation of Windows 8 has a "classic" option built in. But if I were forced to buy a computer today, it would be a Mac. That's beyond any doubt. Macs have always been good machines, Mac OS is solid, it runs the only software I actually need it to run, and I hate the Mac UI less than I hate the Windows 8 UI. There wouldn't even be a need to think the decision over.

-Rich

XP had a good run. Initially sold in 2001, retail sales ended in 2008 and that last OEM-installed version was sold in 2010. Mainstream support officially ended in April of 2009. That means, for the last 4 years, the only work done on XP was to protect you from security breaches. The important thing is that EXTENDED SUPPORT officially ends in 2014. This means there will be NO MORE PATCHES OR SECURITY UPDATES for the operating system. This will be a major security problem for both home and business users. Any script-kiddie or criminal syndicate will be able to write viruses/malware that take advantage of newly discovered holes, and know that Microsoft will never fix them. For business users there may even be legal liability for any damage or loss due to security breaches. Do you store credit card info, SSN, or any data that could be used by an identity thief? How about proprietary business information? Home users, do you store any private info or use your computer for banking or on-line purchases?
Just for the security implications, most XP users will need to find an alternative by this time next year.
Just like certain websites won't let you use old versions of certain browsers, they will not let you in if you are using XP. Especially banking or e-commerce sites, who won't want to expose themselves to the security risks.

Last edited:
Personally, I would be willing to pay fifty or a hundred bucks a year to keep getting security updates for XP. Since there are millions of people and thousands of businesses still using it, I wonder if there are enough people who feel the same way to make a viable business case for offering such a service?

How many businesses have converted to Windows 8?
'Really not a meaningful question since Windows 8 was only released 5 months ago. Most businesses will upgrade only when they get new systems. Major corps generally take years. We still have clients running XP!
With the bad press caused by the decision to make the Metro/tiled interface the default, adoption rates have been less than XP or Win7. Unfortunately we're an ADHD Society, living on headlines and gossip. When you ask the average computer user about Windows 8, unfortunately you'll hear "I've heard there are problems"... whether they've actually used it or not.

Speaking of XP & 7, XP ran all of my flightsims great. FSX, X-Plane 9, DCS A-10C, Blackshark, etc. When I upgraded to Win7-64bit, I got a significant performance increase! Smoother and higher frame rates, especially in DCS and X-Plane with multi monitors (3).

Win7 is my favorite Windows version to date!

By the way, MSFS was the only reason I started using Windows back in the mid 80's.

I was happy with my C-64 and Amiga but all of the Flightsims were going over to Windows systems. I would have bought a Mac but they didn't keep up. Only one or two sims were supported by Apple. I think Falcon may have been one of them.

I doubt it. Think about it... After being forced to abandon XP, there's just as much chance a person will "go Mac" or "go Tablet" as anything else. While it does seem convenient, the reality is that nobody can afford to support 12-year old software, going back several versions. Many companies (like Intuit), come out with a new version every year, and will only support the last two versions. 'Just the reality of software. This product life timetable was announced like 8 years ago.

Personally, I would be willing to pay fifty or a hundred bucks a year to keep getting security updates for XP. Since there are millions of people and thousands of businesses still using it, I wonder if there are enough people who feel the same way to make a viable business case for offering such a service?

Apparently, there may be a program where you CAN pay for support after the End-Of-Life date. I know nothing more, other than the IT-Pro website said a program will be available from Microsoft. It could be something only available to big Enterprises. It's thought that, currently, 600 million computers still run XP!

I installed a computer for the FBO which had Win 8- it was for the mechanic. Transferred all his subscriptions and files. Then I had to put a card on the monitor in response to "WHERE the F- is my desktop?!" so that he can find it.

8 is for a touchscreen, and the mech always has oil on his hands. Not a great choice for that application.

I installed a computer for the FBO which had Win 8- it was for the mechanic. Transferred all his subscriptions and files. Then I had to put a card on the monitor in response to "WHERE the F- is my desktop?!" so that he can find it.

8 is for a touchscreen, and the mech always has oil on his hands. Not a great choice for that application.

Hmm. I could see a touch screen Toughbook type tablet with docking keyboard being handy for mechanics that love to document everything, attach pictures and stuff like that.

Windows 8 is great, its not much different than 7, new start page and big tiles for start page. what it really needs are apps that show what one can do with the platform.

Its a shame win8 didn't come with tell me voice recognition built in like the phone did, but I'm expecting windows blue update about to be announced may have some cool voice/Kinect integration built in.. may be overkill for many a mechanic but could have sweet applications with 3d diagramming/cad design and such.. up to our imagination I guess.

Hmm. I could see a touch screen Toughbook type tablet with docking keyboard being handy for mechanics that love to document everything, attach pictures and stuff like that.

Sure, and you're only talking maybe two or three grand for that setup. Of course, it'll still be destroyed in a week because oily fingers also tend to be gritty fingers; but hey, a replacement touch-screen is only maybe half a grand or so -- and they're sure to come down soon.

Or there's the other option: He could buy a $7.99 keyboard and mouse combo from MicroCenter, and throw them out every month or so when they get messed up.

Windows 8 is great, its not much different than 7, new start page and big tiles for start page. what it really needs are apps that show what one can do with the platform.

And Vanilla's not much different from French Vanilla -- and yet there are some who hate the one, and love the other. Go figger.

Ultimately, what Window 8 or any other piece of software needs is what the customers want. Judging by the lackluster sales, MS missed the boat on this one. They have me thinking about moving to Mac, and that's saying something.

Its a shame win8 didn't come with tell me voice recognition built in like the phone did...

Oh, yeah, that'll help me a lot when I'm banging out PHP code.

but I'm expecting windows blue update about to be announced may have some cool voice/Kinect integration built in.

Wow! That'll sure encourage businesses to adopt it! Yes siree, that cool voice/Kinect integration is just what enterprise users have been clamoring for.

may be overkill for many a mechanic but could have sweet applications with 3d diagramming/cad design and such.. up to our imagination I guess.

Probably overkill for pretty much anyone for whom a computer is a tool, rather than a toy.

-Rich

Back