Reason to upgrade to windows 8?

For that device, the Win8 interface is not all that different than an iPad or Android tablet... icons that take you to a full-screen app. Plus, you always have the 'ol desktop. Some Windows-based moving map stuff is out there... Flitesoft, mountainscope, Jeppesen, probably more. 'not aware of any win8-specific apps, yet, but any Windows program should run.

Do they even make aviation apps for Windows 8?

Sorry, but the user interface is a joke.

The ui isn't a joke, I find it exponentially more intuitive than android and ios on tablets.

Since this is x86 it can run any existing windows software, but would really shine with winrt interface

Jeppesen has already committed to development, not sure of anyone else. Web planners work great in ie 10 too.

I think it's possible that you are the only person in the world who actually owns a Windows tablet.

Well, there's at least 15 people who spontaneously break out into a dance of sorts who at least have borrowed one. I saw it on TV.

Oh, and Oprah thinks they're cool... sort of.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...eets-love-Microsofts-Surface--using-iPad.html :rofl:

article-0-1621085F000005DC-413_634x427.jpg

Last edited:
Well, there's at least 15 people who spontaneously break out into a dance of sorts who at least have borrowed one. I saw it on TV.

Oh, and Oprah thinks they're cool... sort of.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...eets-love-Microsofts-Surface--using-iPad.html :rofl:

article-0-1621085F000005DC-413_634x427.jpg

Hmmm....

Oprah is playing on the edge with regard to the FTC's endorsement rules -- and doing so quite publicly, even though almost certainly in ignorance.

As for Windows v. iPad v. Android tablets, I've used them all at some point or another, don't care for any of them, and really don't have any qualitative opinion of one over the other.

-Rich

Here's how I see Windows8.

Up through Windows 7, using MS products was like getting in and out of the car like normal, through the doors. Sure, some of the doors might not have shut well, or we had to jiggle the handle just right to get it to open. We all use the doors to get in and out. Windows 8 comes along, and they've welded the doors shut, and we have to climb in through the trunk. Sure, some people might like to get into the car through the trunk, but I don't.

"But if you buy a cutting torch (3rd party app), you can cut the doors open and get in that way."

Here's how I see Windows8.

Up through Windows 7, using MS products was like getting in and out of the car like normal, through the doors. Sure, some of the doors might not have shut well, or we had to jiggle the handle just right to get it to open. We all use the doors to get in and out. Windows 8 comes along, and they've welded the doors shut, and we have to climb in through the trunk. Sure, some people might like to get into the car through the trunk, but I don't.

"But if you buy a cutting torch (3rd party app), you can cut the doors open and get in that way."

LOL, you have a way of simplifying things, I'll say that much.

-Rich

Microsoft's strength has always been integration with the stack. Sure, you can name a dozen different products that can do one aspect better or were first to market, but MS' stuff integrate together and provide a more productive and user friendly experience. There is a reason most IT people wouldn't install a Linux build on their grandma's computer (they would have to support it) and there is a reason that most business desktops run Windows (because that is the platform most business software is written to run on). I don't view IT as a religion, but Nate, really, acquisition costs are a mere fraction of TCO and almost not even a consideration now days. There are areas where freeware shines, like large web farms and even some applications of Asterisk (mostly multi-tenant), but very few businesses of any size would deploy it on the desktop (these are smart businessmen making these decisions, not sheep following the herd). Microsoft is not particularly innovative but they are really good at bringing various technologies together and making them work together in compelling ways.

BTW, NDS (eDirectory) was/is a much better directory under the hood than AD will ever be, but Novell never got the integration thing right (well they did have a spectacular fail going after MS on the desktop) and they truly never understood Marketing (I go back to Netware 2.0). Everyone hated Windows 3.0, too (3.11 Windows for Workgroups was the first really viable version).

Does any of that make the doors operational without needing a cutting torch?

I don't get this metaphor..

If you're asking me if you need to jailbreak? uh.. no.. windows 8 has built in sideloading.

If you're asking me if these open holes in the sandboxed apps for security risks, I have no idea..

If you're asking if you can customize the crap out of the os? Windows 8 X86, yeah. Windows RT? somewhat.

If you don't like the new UI, go buy windows 7.. it has 10+ years of support left..

Last edited:
BTW, NDS (eDirectory) was/is a much better directory under the hood than AD will ever be, but Novell never got the integration thing right (well they did have a spectacular fail going after MS on the desktop) and they truly never understood Marketing (I go back to Netware 2.0). Everyone hated Windows 3.0, too (3.11 Windows for Workgroups was the first really viable version).

NDS was so so, but it didn't scale ergo it failed. NDS was all flat files in the version I used and Novel tried scaling it to the web by buying into getting featured on CNN.com but they quickly floundered thereafter. NDS also didn't use DNS, NDS relied on weird groups instead of pluggable authentication and they never really got partners involved for 3rd party connectors..

Believe it or not, there used to be a day when every Windows 3.0 and 3.11 used to almost ride on top of Novel.. heck, I still remember novel being king through NT 4.0.

I think FreeBSD, Linux and BSDi back in the day did more harm to NDS than Windows / Microsoft did.. novelll wasn't ready for Linux/bsd. Microsoft was quicker in providing their unix integration (even though it sucked for a LONG LONG time..) and having DNS/Internet build into AD is what set them apart before NDS delivered anything like that.

I don't get this metaphor..

If you're asking me if you need to jailbreak? uh.. no.. windows 8 has built in sideloading.

If you're asking me if these open holes in the sandboxed apps for security risks, I have no idea..

If you're asking if you can customize the crap out of the os? Windows 8 X86, yeah. Windows RT? somewhat.

If you don't like the new UI, go buy windows 7.. it has 10+ years of support left..

If history is any guide, Microsoft will obsolesce something to try to force the upgrade. My guess is that they'll discontinue DRM support for older versions, or choose not to backport IE 11 to Win7 (and then stop supporting DRM or some other essential streaming element in IE < 11) to try to force people who want to legally stream video to upgrade to Win 8. Something along those lines. They'll make some sort of non-backported changes to enough products to force users to upgrade, and for no other reason.

It's like when DirectX 10 came out. There was no good reason why it couldn't be backported to WinXP, assuming that the machine had adequate hardware whose manufacturers had released compatible drivers. But MS refused to backport it. And XP was, what, maybe a third into its support cycle when DX10 for Vista came out? Half at the most?

There is a difference between a "new" feature and an update to an existing feature. If Windows Petunia (the version that will follow Blue, in keeping with Microsoft's perfectly logical OS naming history) has the ability to make my breakfast, re-shingle my roof, or trim my beard, those will be new features.

An update to the set of APIs that handle multimedia content, on the other hand, is not a new feature. It's merely an update to an existing feature; and anyone using a still-supported system that originally included that feature should be entitled to it for as long as their system is supported. Any other way of looking at it is nothing but forced obsolescence and coercion of consumers.

-Rich

You guys can fight all you want, Microsoft is about to dominate the market again by making computers simple, effective and easy to use and the same interface from TV to Phone to Tablet to Desktop.

Just wait.

Xbox One, Windows 8, Microsoft Surface, Windows Phone. Ecosystem matters.

And yes, I still use Linux and love the hell out of it.

You guys can fight all you want, Microsoft is about to dominate the market again by making computers simple, effective and easy to use and the same interface from TV to Phone to Tablet to Desktop.

Just wait.

Xbox One, Windows 8, Microsoft Surface, Windows Phone. Ecosystem matters.

If so, I'm happy for them. I just wish they wouldn't act so much like a monopolist. Tops on that list would be to give up trying to "force" consumers to do things their way.

If so, I'm happy for them. I just wish they wouldn't act so much like a monopolist. Tops on that list would be to give up trying to "force" consumers to do things their way.

Amen to that.

-Rich

If I had a dollar for every time I've sworn at Outlook 2013 in the past two weeks I'd be able to buy a plane... and retire!

Microsoft's strength has always been integration with the stack. Sure, you can name a dozen different products that can do one aspect better or were first to market, but MS' stuff integrate together and provide a more productive and user friendly experience. There is a reason most IT people wouldn't install a Linux build on their grandma's computer (they would have to support it) and there is a reason that most business desktops run Windows (because that is the platform most business software is written to run on). I don't view IT as a religion, but Nate, really, acquisition costs are a mere fraction of TCO and almost not even a consideration now days. There are areas where freeware shines, like large web farms and even some applications of Asterisk (mostly multi-tenant), but very few businesses of any size would deploy it on the desktop (these are smart businessmen making these decisions, not sheep following the herd). Microsoft is not particularly innovative but they are really good at bringing various technologies together and making them work together in compelling ways.

Smart people don't waste money.

Got it.

Please don't mind if I call bull**** though.

Most businesses can't even quantify why there's a computer on every person's desk these days, other than e-mail and shared calendaring. And a browser.

A few folks who know it well, really exercise Excel and use it for good purposes, but very very few, compared to the number if deployed machines in any organization.

Come on. I've seen the endless meetings (overhead - expensive - poor return on investment) about implementing things that won't make or save companies a penny.

I've also seen all the completely clueless users who can barely find their way to a desktop icon, let alone actually use the computer. The only TCO item even related to that is familiarity with where the buttons are, and MSFT just trashed that with Win 8.

Which specific TCO items for the average clueless desktop user in a Corporate setting is MSFT beating anyone else at? I'd love to see your numbers.

Are these same "smart people" the ones who've been asking me for almost 20 years "Why can't the developers have direct access to push new code into Production [without testing because we didn't buy a test farm]?"

Brilliant those. They usually have titles like "VP of Technology" or similar. ;)

Love 'em but boy can they be clueless about tech.

My favorite is when they want 100% uptime but don't buy redundant hardware. That one is my personal favorite. I run out of fingers on both hands counting how many times I've sat through that meeting...

I contend that businesses don't have a damn clue how they want the majority of their computing power utilized to make or save the company money. "TCO" is relative to other similar sized companies.

Recently the popular money-suck is "security". Watching two different "certified auditors" argue over how to implement a particular certification is hours and hours of entertainment... at $500/hr for both auditors.

The only difference between a good knock-down drag-out PoA argument, and two security auditors arguing, is they're both getting paid well enough to drive BMWs *and* keep Stephen Northcutt of SANS in his Maui beach home. LOL!

So... what does the start button do if there's no Start Menu?

Does MS have some reason for stubbornly refusing to give their customers what they want?

I'm seriously starting to see a Mac in my future. Screw MS.

-Rich

I blew off Windows for Apple when Vista showed up......I have no intention of ever going back to Windows...now when forced to use my gfs Windows pc I find it clumsy,slow and buggy.

Back