Realtime Tracking

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Flight aware seems dodgy for VFR pilots.

Are there any other ways I can track a flight in realtime?
Is there a gizmo I can put in the plane and someone on the ground see stats/trek in real time (or close to realtime)?

On more than one occasion, I have landed with a dead cell phone battery.
When I get around to plugging it in to call and let wife, mom, etc know I made it, there is always the "Ok, I was starting to get worried" comment.

I think Tony C uses the Spot device in his glider activities

That's pretty cool.

I hadn't seen that before.

I've used a SPOT to track every significant flight since 2007. Gen1, Gen2, and soon Gen3. I love the fact that I can actually USE IT, monitor it's results, and know that it works. The newest Gen3 has improved the tracking feature with less time between blips (if you want) and automatic tracking that turns itself on/off based on motion. I send an email out to family/friends/flying buddies before most trips. I include an itinerary and a link to the SPOT tracking map. Even for little brkfst/lunch trips the SPOT is on. Every person who travels, hikes, bikes, or boats can benefit. You can loan it to a friend (just change the online profile to reflect different contacts).
While I won't get into the PLB vs. SPOT argument, I can tell you that having "the button" available to push adds a level of safety that seals the deal.

I've learned to wait a good 10-15 minutes *after* landing to turn off my SPOT. Otherwise, I get hectic calls wondering if I've gone down 5 miles short of the airport. Based on the time frame, you want to make sure that last message goes out, showing you are safely at your location. BTW, the FAA uses SPOTs as part of the normal flight plan procedure on Alaska. They monitor the blips along with closing of flight plans to make sure you made it.

Last edited:
DeLorme inReach SE is a similar device. It uses the Iridium satellite network, and offers two-way texting, as well as tracking. A bit more $$ than SPOT.

Flight aware seems dodgy for VFR

The following has been talked about here from time to time: file an IFR flight plan but with a VFR altitude (VFR/025 for 2500'). Do not open it or accept a clearance, obviously. That should do the trick shouldn't it? I personally haven't tried it.

My flights that are longer then 30 minutes always get put in the system. I always use ff though.

Any info on Cloud Ahoy now that they have gone to the "pay for" biz model?

Flight aware seems dodgy for VFR pilots.

Is there a gizmo I can put in the plane and someone on the ground see stats/trek in real time (or close to realtime)?

On more than one occasion, I have landed with a dead cell phone battery.
When I get around to plugging it in to call and let wife, mom, etc know I made it, there is always the "Ok, I was starting to get worried" comment.

Not for tracking, but would solve your dead cellphone problem....
http://www.amazon.com/15000mAh-Port...35549&sr=8-6&keywords=Portable+backup+battery

Might make FSS happy to be able to reach you, too!

Tell them you will arrive an hour later than you plan to. That gives you time to get the cell phone plugged in.

Yeah. It's called APRS (aprs.org). Uses a tiny 2 meter transceiver and GPS unit to send your location to aprs.fi.

Try aprs.fi and search on my tail # N2501U. Use the calendar tabs to see what I've done over the past couple of years.

Vansairforce.com has an APRS forum in the forums.

I started using one of these after a friend crashed. His brothers found his body a week later.

The following has been talked about here from time to time: file an IFR flight plan but with a VFR altitude (VFR/025 for 2500'). Do not open it or accept a clearance, obviously. That should do the trick shouldn't it? I personally haven't tried it.

Not always. It seems to work when the plan crosses ATC facility borders. The Washington SFRA flight plans use the method you describe but usually do not show up on flightaware.

I contacted flight aware today They said:

"[FONT=&quot]Hello Bryan,[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Thank you for contacting FlightAware and unfortunately were only able to track IFR flights at the moment due to FAA regulations. Also every now and then a VFR flight will make it through the FAA feed but this rarely happens. "[/FONT]

Odd that I end up in the system about 50% of the time given it rarely happens.

Thanks for the recommendations. I am going to go look at a couple of them.
As far as the cell phone, I am going to get an additional outlet in the plane to charge it. .Currently we have one for Zaon, Ipad, and Stratus.

Was hoping there was an app I could install on my phone and would allow others to track me on google maps or something.

Going to research the SPOT Gen3. Those look like what I need and cheap too.
Then I will check the ARPS deal.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Yeah. It's called APRS (aprs.org). Uses a tiny 2 meter transceiver and GPS unit to send your location to aprs.fi.

Try aprs.fi and search on my tail # N2501U. Use the calendar tabs to see what I've done over the past couple of years.

I started using one of these after a friend crashed. His brothers found his body a week later.

Do you mind shooting me a pm/text net time you fly?
I would like to see that live.

What was the price to get it installed if you don't mind sharing.

P.S.
Sorry to hear about your friend.

Hi I'm Kt from spidertracks. We offer a simple and reliable solution for anyone who is looking for real time flight tracking.

Call me bias, but because we listen to our customers, who are mostly pilots, I think we provide a system that has features that you'll actually enjoy using over and above realtime tracking. Take a look at www.spidertracks.com

Do you mind shooting me a pm/text net time you fly?
I would like to see that live.

What was the price to get it installed if you don't mind sharing.

Will do. Private message for you.

Here's the web site. Byonics

I use the RTG (ready to go) model. I have a VHF antenna on the belly that's not used (it's for the handheld if I lose all commo). The APRS unit is hooked to that. I power it off the cigarette lighter.

About the size of a pack of cigarettes and around $200. No subscription fees, but you do have to have a HAM radio license for the 2 meter band. That's a couple hours of studying and around $20 or so for the test at your local HAM radio club.

I've talked to flightaware. VFR FF data comes to them unreliably. Frankly, when I want to provide tracking information, I just go IFR (I do so religiously when my wife is NOT with me so she can track the flight).

Spot looks cool. I have been tracking my flights by writing about them after landing and this might be useful.

The nice thing about APRS is that you can set "SmartBeaconing" and "CornerPegging" settings in the transmitter and send your location points based on GPS speed and heading information instead of sending a point every minute or 5 minutes. A lot can happen in one minute.
Try doing this with a Spot.
Picture3sm.jpg

Delorme inreach is also a good solution as well. Covers the entire globe and you can send text messages also.

The SPOT website is confusing as hell.
I like their product but I feel like they want you to think the service is $49 per year.

Best I can tell it is $149 per year but then to use the advanced features on Gen3, it is an additional $49 and then you can pay bits more for faster tracking.

Anyone use this new InReach Explorer that's been advertised recently? Looks like it performs multiple functions including an SOS function. $379 but not sure about annual fees.

Same features (other than the screen) of the original inreach. If you pair an original inreach with your smartphone, you can do all the same stuff.

I actually prefer the original inreach over the new one since I can carry extra batteries. The new models have "built in" rechargeable batteries.

I have a spot trace unit. It works great. $99/yr. I have not replaced the 3 AAA batteries or turned it off since I purchased it over 3 months ago. Awesome little unit, I highly recommend it. Also sends e-mails or texts when the airplane moves to anyone on the list you create.

I contacted flight aware today They said:

"[FONT=&quot]Hello Bryan,[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Thank you for contacting FlightAware and unfortunately were only able to track IFR flights at the moment due to FAA regulations. Also every now and then a VFR flight will make it through the FAA feed but this rarely happens. "[/FONT]

Odd that I end up in the system about 50% of the time given it rarely happens.

Thanks for the recommendations. I am going to go look at a couple of them.
As far as the cell phone, I am going to get an additional outlet in the plane to charge it. .Currently we have one for Zaon, Ipad, and Stratus.

Was hoping there was an app I could install on my phone and would allow others to track me on google maps or something.

Going to research the SPOT Gen3. Those look like what I need and cheap too.
Then I will check the ARPS deal.

Thanks again.

Requesting VFR Flight Following from ATC will sometimes get tracked on FlightAware, depending partly on whether the flight was just local or whether they expected to need to transfer it between control centers. I've heard that it is possible to explicitly tell ATC to "request flight plan entry into the NAS"

Another option for VFR flight tracking on FlightAware is SpiderTracks. You just need to enable SpiderTracks sharing to FlightAware once, and then file a flightplan prior to each flight (but you don't need to activate it or even talk to ATC). You can even use FlightAware's flightplanner and pick the "quickfile" checkbox to do this.

If your plane is already ADS-B OUT equipped, then that will also work to allow VFR tracking on FlightAware. You also just need file a flightplan prior to each flight (but you don't need to activate it or even talk to ATC).

The nice thing about APRS is that you can set "SmartBeaconing" and "CornerPegging" settings in the transmitter and send your location points based on GPS speed and heading information instead of sending a point every minute or 5 minutes. A lot can happen in one minute.
Try doing this with a Spot.
Picture3sm.jpg

Why would I want to? ;)

(Know all about APRS. Most of the time it looks like a great way to tell when a Ham isn't home to go rob their house. Ha.)

Well hopefully you use your PO Box when you get your license and not your street address! :yes:

Another track.

aprstrack1-19-11a.png

It helps if you have an amateur radio license. Using the ham bands without one is poor form and likely to get you unwanted attention from the FCC.

If you have the ham ticket APRS would be a great way to accomplish this.

Back