REALLY uncontrolled field

StinkBug

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Dallas
In a few weeks I'm planning to take a trip to a privately owned "airport" that is at a racetrack in the desert. It's owned by the track, and I've been there a bunch of times before, but never seen a single plane there. They dont have a tower, weather, or any radio frequencies at all, including a CTAF. I know it's highly unlikely that anybody else will be landing there at the same time, or even the same day, but in the interest of doing things as safely and properly as possible what would you do as far as making position reports, and on what frequency? Also how would you approach the field? Traffic pattern?

In a few weeks I'm planning to take a trip to a privately owned "airport" that is at a racetrack in the desert. It's owned by the track, and I've been there a bunch of times before, but never seen a single plane there. They dont have a tower, weather, or any radio frequencies at all, including a CTAF. I know it's highly unlikely that anybody else will be landing there at the same time, or even the same day, but in the interest of doing things as safely and properly as possible what would you do as far as making position reports, and on what frequency? Also how would you approach the field? Traffic pattern?

Given nothing else to go on for a frequency I would chose 122.75 (doubt it would do any good) or if there was another nearby airport I would use their frequency, and broadcast position 3 mile and as normal. Most likely though I wouldn't say anything and just be very watchful.

So the management has no frequency they recommend for CTAF?

MULTICOM is 122.9 for airports without an established UNICOM or CTAF. As for traffic pattern, just use the same pattern entries you use at other non-towered airports and the standard left turn.

I personally would not broadcast anything on the radio and I would enter the pattern whatever is the most convenient for me and took the shortest amount of time. Given the fact there is never any traffic there and it is privately owned by the track. But thats just me.

122.9 would be the channel and left traffic unless posted different on the sectional.

Tony

Last edited:
You talking the field towards Blithe?

What the others said, I'd do a low pass first to survey it, I'd be more concerned with junk on the runway than other aircraft.

Make sure you get a wind reading somehow. It can be difficult in the desert. If all else fails, you can buzz the field in both directions at the same airspeed and time it. Use the direction that gives the longer time.

On frequencies - definitely use CTAF from a field within 10 NM or so from the uncontrolled field. We have several local grass strips in the area and everyone is on the 122.8 - in a couple of cases, the pattern over one field is also the pattern over another.

Sounds like fun. Let us know how it works out.

brian];1544731 said:
On frequencies - definitely use CTAF from a field within 10 NM or so from the uncontrolled field. We have several local grass strips in the area and everyone is on the 122.8 - in a couple of cases, the pattern over one field is also the pattern over another.

Gosh darn, why. Unless the fields are so close as to have the patterns overlap, what's the point? Why not play by the established and expected rules?

If I am going into a field with no published Unicom, I'd be expecting 122.9 as the FAA and FCC directs.

Doing off airport work and landing on private strips, and if the runways are not numbered, just call landing to the north, southeast, etc:, at the racetrack.

Last edited:
The CTAF and MULTICOM frequency for fields where there is not a published frequency is 122.9

Gosh darn, why. Unless the fields are so close as to have the patterns overlap, what's the point? Why not play by the established and expected rules?

If I am going into a field with no published Unicom, I'd be expecting 122.9 as the FAA and FCC directs.

Hey - I'll admit ignorance on this topic. What I do know is 122.8 is where people are talking around here..

But with this knowledge, I'll start monitoring 122.9 as well....

brian];1544758 said:
Hey - I'll admit ignorance on this topic. What I do know is 122.8 is where people are talking around here..

Great. That is the frequency to use if you come over to OK93. Give us a shout, or just drop into the on-field coffee shop about 8:00 any morning.

brian];1544731 said:
Unless otherwise published, use what's published for fields with no published CTAF -- 122.9. Not some other airport's CTAF, not the air/air freq, not "fingers", just what the FAA says to use so we're all doing the same thing.

brian];1544758 said:

If 122.8 is what's published as the CTAF for "around here", use 122.8. If there's nothing published as the CTAF for "around here", use 122.9. And I do mean use it, not just monitor it. Using the CTAF for another airport only creates frequency congestion and confusion at the other airport.

Spring Mountain?

Spring Mountain?

Nope, Chuckwalla. Or "Desert Center" as shown on the sectional. One of my buddies is racing that weekend, and there's a track day on friday so I'm having him bring my race bike out for me so I can play for the day.

The nearest airport with a CTAF is roughly 20NM away. Sounds like 122.9 is the right way to do it. I called the track and asked them for some info. They didn't have a frequency, but apparently there is a wind sock. They just told me to give em a call 24 hours prior to arrival so they could make sure the runway was clear.

Last edited:
If its a private owned airport, talk to the owner. If you have permission to land, I'm sure he can advise you as to freq, landing obstacles and times of use.

I'll have to look up that airport/track.

According to Airnav is states "Private use" Get permission before landing
http://www.airnav.com/airport/CN64

I would give the manager a call first, could be helpful. Usually is for the past private fields I have entered.

Manager: MICKY GRANA
PO BOX 714
PALM DESERT, CA 92261
Phone 760-227-3100

As noted in my last post, I already called.

That link you posted is the only place I've seen anything about a radio frequency, including when I asked the guy on the phone. It also looks very different now.

ChuckwallaValleyRacewayaerialview2.jpg

Nope, Chuckwalla. Or "Desert Center" as shown on the sectional. One of my buddies is racing that weekend, and there's a track day on friday so I'm having him bring my race bike out for me so I can play for the day.

The nearest airport with a CTAF is roughly 20NM away. Sounds like 122.9 is the right way to do it. I called the track and asked them for some info. They didn't have a frequency, but apparently there is a wind sock. They just told me to give em a call 24 hours prior to arrival so they could make sure the runway was clear.

Well that's awful nice of them.:yes: Regardless I'd still do a low pass to inspect before landing though.

122.9 would be the channel and left traffic unless posted different on the sectional.
If you're going to be picky...

It's left traffic unless "the airport displays approved light signals or visual markings indicating that turns should be made to the right". The regulation doesn't say anything about what might, or might not, be printed on the sectional.

14 CFR 91.126 --
(b) Direction of turns. When approaching to land at an airport without an operating control tower in Class G airspace--
(1) Each pilot of an airplane must make all turns of that airplane to the left unless the airport displays approved light signals or visual markings indicating that turns should be made to the right, in which case the pilot must make all turns to the right;

Back