Really Simple Digital Logbook

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
Anybody got a favorite computerized logbook? I'm starting a new student and rather than the ratty old paper log with about enough space to sign my name, I'd like to give more detail about what the flight entailed, maneuvers, etc.

Jim

It would be nice if someone had a logbook app that included some type of "bump" type transfer mechanism. The CFI could do their log thing and upload directly student log.

I use myflightbook in addition to my paper logbook. I'm not sure how it would work for a cfi signing, or any endorsements though. I really like that I can see totals, etc easily from my iPhone, iPad, or computer.

Anybody got a favorite computerized logbook? I'm starting a new student and rather than the ratty old paper log with about enough space to sign my name, I'd like to give more detail about what the flight entailed, maneuvers, etc.

Jim

Myflightbook is what I use also. Very simple, tracks your flight. I have it on my Ipad and Android phone. The developer is very quick to respond to any questions or concerns. Plus it is FREE. He only asks for a donation.

I have not set it up, but you can track and endorse your students logbook.

I think you should be able to sign it on a tablet or phone, they even make "pens" for it.

I probably should have been a little more specific. The data has to reside on a local (i.e. my own) Windows machine. It can be in any digital language so long as it allows me to print out a copy as a pdf document and sign it with Acrobat's digital signature routine.

Thanks,

Jim

I think you should be able to sign it on a tablet or phone, they even make "pens" for it.

You're just begging for commentary from our favorite CFI in Salisbury, MD, aren't you?

You're just begging for commentary from our favorite CFI in Salisbury, MD, aren't you?

:D:rofl: The FAA is good with EFBs, why not ELBs? Besides, there are other esignature protocols that are accepted by government. You esign your tax forms...

It would be nice if someone had a logbook app that included some type of "bump" type transfer mechanism. The CFI could do their log thing and upload directly student log.
Not sure exactly what you mean, but MyFlightBook includes the ability for instructors to endorse student activities and for both to track the progress. They are not using signature pad capability but are using a form of digital signature. I haven't used the functionality but it is there.

I probably should have been a little more specific. The data has to reside on a local (i.e. my own) Windows machine...

Therein lies the constraint as the trend is for more and more stuff to be located in a place that can be accessed from basically anywhere - out there in cyberspace.

Not sure exactly what you mean, but MyFlightBook includes the ability for instructors to endorse student activities and for both to track the progress. They are not using signature pad capability but are using a form of digital signature. I haven't used the functionality but it is there.

Bump was a file transfer app (now defunct) where as long as both phones had the app and were on the Internet, you just start the app, load the file you want to transfer, and bump the phones together. It then transfers the file across. It was a great contact handler I thought, shame they shut down.

Bump was a file transfer app (now defunct) where as long as both phones had the app and were on the Internet, you just start the app, load the file you want to transfer, and bump the phones together. It then transfers the file across. It was a great contact handler I thought, shame they shut down.

I think this is built into Android phones now.

Jim

I guess I'm a dinosaur, but I love my logbook. I had one of those mini ones during my private, but I started a larger Sporty's logbook after my ASEL checkride, because I wanted more space to write stuff. I'll probably never fill this book in my lifetime, so I don't worry about using multiple lines, or not filling a page.

I was doing a checkout at a new FBO and the snot nosed 30-something CFI actually scolded me for having only partially-used pages (I like to have breaks annually and every 6 months to make it easier to sum up my hours for insurance renew periods.).

I'm 55 years old and think I can handle my logbook my way. I never flew with him again.

Anyway, my point is that you can probably use more than one line if it's OK with your student, and I think he or she would appreciate that.

I think this is built into Android phones now.

If it functions still (it was often a preinstalled app) that would make some sense out of them shutting down, they may have sold the app to Google.

x2 on myflightbook

x2 on myflightbook
x3

I've relied so much on it, I think my paper backup is about 4 months behind...

And Eric is super helpful. Just the other day I wanted an additional flight property added, and he responded within just a few minutes and had it online.

My default answer is a homebrew excel sheet in google docs.

For a STUDENT.. forget about that.

Just get a Jepp paper logbook, after he gets his ticket/tickets he can just scan it, upload it and start a digital one.

As a CFI I'm not dealing with electronic logs, signing them, having the student "play" with the programs, etc, just not worth the headache.

I guess I'm a dinosaur, but I love my logbook. I had one of those mini ones during my private, but I started a larger Sporty's logbook after my ASEL checkride, because I wanted more space to write stuff. I'll probably never fill this book in my lifetime, so I don't worry about using multiple lines, or not filling a page.

I was doing a checkout at a new FBO and the snot nosed 30-something CFI actually scolded me for having only partially-used pages (I like to have breaks annually and every 6 months to make it easier to sum up my hours for insurance renew periods.).

I'm 55 years old and think I can handle my logbook my way. I never flew with him again.

Anyway, my point is that you can probably use more than one line if it's OK with your student, and I think he or she would appreciate that.

Exactly, take a few lines if needed, it's totally OK, and way better than dealing with a student with a digital log book.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I guess I'm a dinosaur, but I love my logbook.
Then I guess you don't have any recommendations for the original poster. I guess that's the problem with dinosaurs. OTOH, I'm older than you, you young whippersnapper! :D :goofy:

I retired mine almost 2 years ago, except for recording instruction received and endorsements. On the other hand, I wouldn't insist on anyone else doing the same. That's just silly.

I also tend to agree with James about students. If a student came to me already using a known program, I wouldn't object to entering data in it. But I'd probably still recommend keeping a paper log for instruction received. Why, well, heck, because that's what I do. No other reason.

Another +1 for myflightbook here.

It's nice being able to enter my flight information right after the flight, particularly when I'm flying multiple flights per day.

I can access the information from my computer, iPhone, or iPad...and download a backup copy (Excel) to my own server on a monthly basis. The data sorting features are fantastic.

Every ELB I've tried has seemed like more of a PITA than paper -- until it comes time to do IACRA, then FML. I am hoping something will come along that is compelling to me but so far nope.

Every ELB I've tried has seemed like more of a PITA than paper -- until it comes time to do IACRA, then FML. I am hoping something will come along that is compelling to me but so far nope.
My liking them may be from use. I built one for my own use in the early 90s - in DOS (in Paradox, for the other geeks here). It's gone through multiple revisions since then.

I don't know of one where the data would reside on your computer. I use myflightbook and export the data periodically to a .csv file which I email to myself for backup.

John

Please no, Jepp logbooks are the worst.

Don't know how someone could dislike a paper log that much, they are all more or less the same, I just like the quality and green paper in the Jepps, as have most of my students.

I don't know of one where the data would reside on your computer. I use myflightbook and export the data periodically to a .csv file which I email to myself for backup.

John

The periodical backup is a good measure to ensure only minimal loss of data should something unforeseen happen.

I keep 3 copies of my logs: paper, MyFlightBook and Excel spreadsheet. They all must agree.

Why the Excel spreadsheet, you ask? It closely mimics the format of my paper logbook and I use it to verify totals at the end of each page. And then compare against MyFlightBook. I actually did it because I found 2 errors in my logbook from my training days where the CFI filled in some data incorrectly. I would have never found it otherwise. :)

The periodical backup is a good measure to ensure only minimal loss of data should something unforeseen happen.

I keep 3 copies of my logs: paper, MyFlightBook and Excel spreadsheet. They all must agree.

Why the Excel spreadsheet, you ask? It closely mimics the format of my paper logbook and I use it to verify totals at the end of each page. And then compare against MyFlightBook. I actually did it because I found 2 errors in my logbook from my training days where the CFI filled in some data incorrectly. I would have never found it otherwise. :)

I still keep paper as well. I used an excel sheet that I built for a long time, but imported it into myflugtbook and then kept it up for a while, but found exporting was easier.

John

Come to think of it: here's the excel one I built for my own log. It has filters and totals for each category (useful for specific totals). It also duplicates the columns from my original paper logbook, plus night landings.

Maybe it will help. I had to rename it to .zip to get it to upload. But it's not a .zip file, just rename to .xls.

John

Attachments

• Logbook blank.zip
    38 KB · Views: 4
Pilotica.com

Free, easy, works great. Has an iPhone/iPad app which automatically synchs up. All data easily exported in spreadsheet format.

Good guy.

Hi Jim and everyone.
A while back I developed a Logbook, for my own use, and you may use it if you find it useful. Post here if you have any questions See pic. for a view of the Printed output. TV

Pilot logbook summary.

Developed for my own use, and some people I fly with, on Excel 2000 and Win OS. Should work OK on later versions.
This is simple to use and it simulates the Gleim paper logbook format.
It can easily modified, add columns, rows, etc., this is set up to Print on a single page.

The top 3 Rows are frozen, and you can view them even when you scroll below the bottom of the page. To Freeze / Unfreeze rows / Columns you can select the Row just below the on you want, i.e. if you want to Freeze top 3 rows select 4 then Alt+W+F, or "Window, Freeze Panes".

How to use:
Rename "LOG-BK-SMPL.ZIP", to "LOG-BK-SMPL.xls"
You can overwrite any existing value, in any cell to begin with.
1-In row 4, (START) enter your old data from your other books, enter 0 (zero) if no carry from other books.
2-Enter your New data in rows 5 forward, I typically use 10 / page.
3- At the bottom of the page, Row 15, the formulas will add your entered values.
You can continue to add next / new pages and all you have to do is copy the Row 15 to the bottom of your next page, in this case Row 26. You should / may clear all data below Row 15 to start with.

Row 3 shows the total, Last line entered at the bottom of the column and it will update as you enter data , if value of 2 is at the bottom of column F, number 2 will be displayed until you get the formulas entered and the totals are computed.

Formulas used:
=SUM(F4:F14) ; Found in Row 15, adds, sums up, all the values entered in Column F between Rows 4-14. When a cell / row is copied the formulas will adjust the to the new location, F4:F14 becomes G4:G14 if copied to Column G.
=INDEX(F:F,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,F:F)) ;Found in Row 3, displays the Last value in that Column, to be able to view your Totals at first glance, top of page.

Attachments

• LOG-BK-SMPL.ZIP
    31 KB · Views: 2
  • LogBkPrt.jpg
    LogBkPrt.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 11
Back