Really bad landing...

At our little airport I constantly observe trike airplanes landing flat. Especially Cessnas. Doesn't the new generation CFIs teach full stall landings with the nose wheel being held off?

When I train tow pilots to fly my straight tail 182 I notice the same trend. I tell them if they make flat landings I won't keep them around.

I have noticed as well. The company here that flies king airs land flat and fast taking more than a 3rd of the 7300 runway before touching down.

My first lesson included a detailed review of how an oleo strut works...and what would happen to me if anything happened to it...

At our little airport I constantly observe trike airplanes landing flat. Especially Cessnas. Doesn't the new generation CFIs teach full stall landings with the nose wheel being held off?

When I train tow pilots to fly my straight tail 182 I notice the same trend. I tell them if they make flat landings I won't keep them around.
I'm hardly God's gift to aviation, but since flying tail draggers, I have noticed that a lot. Even on a lot of the videos posted here. I was taught to land a 150 and 172 with the stall horn blaring.

I've got the opposite problem now. Decided as an older guy (55), to go ahead and knock out the TW endorsement. Did my first flight this weekend. Instructor said, "My god, you're feet work, this is going to be a piece of cake!" Which of course it isn't/wasn't ....problem, the wheel landings look like an impending prop strike to me and I need to get by that (only had about 8 landings), first 3 pointer was OK though;)

Wheel landings can freak a person out at first. Remember, it's just a takeoff backwards. Once the mains touch it's just an aborted takeoff.

Sounds easy anyway.

Yep, that looks like my Mooney does now... Go around early, go around often. Sigh.

Classic tailwheel jockey trying to wheel land a 172. ;)

I'm hardly God's gift to aviation, but since flying tail draggers, I have noticed that a lot. Even on a lot of the videos posted here. I was taught to land a 150 and 172 with the stall horn blaring.
Because stalls are being taught as something to fear and avoid, rather than a realm of flight to understand and exploit when appropriate.

A very common problem these days. If they don't learn it that way, they end up getting complacent later on and start doing it. I've even caught myself doing it a few times, and I learned to fly 45 years ago.

I think a lot of it is a fear of stalling. They keep the approach speed way too high, don't get the power off and the nose coming up nearly soon enough to bleed the speed off before they get into ground effect. If my students had trouble with that we'd go to altitude and do some power-off flaps-down stalls, and watch the ASI. It gets really low before the break. They start to realize they're nowhere near stalling if they do the approach right.

I have seen the other extreme too -- people landing with the nose so high they come close to striking the tie-down ring. Somewhere in between there is a happy medium.

I have seen the other extreme too -- people landing with the nose so high they come close to striking the tie-down ring. Somewhere in between there is a happy medium.

LOL we have one or two w/ bent tail tie-rings. BEFORE my time there @SkyDog58 !

I land mine with the nose so high that I cannot see the centerline anymore and need to use peripheral vision. Stall horn comes on before touch-down. (or crash-down) :)

I was taught full stall landings and that was less than 10 years ago - is that the "new generation"?

My goal is to land with minimal energy and get off at the second taxiway.

I have about 10 hours in that plane when I rented it out of LVK years ago, nice P model. So sad.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back