Realizing a Misunderstanding of Reading Topology

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
I am planning a trip during the 2nd week in September. I have plenty of time
to decide between driving or flying. I would like to have my IR by then,
which would then put odds more in favor of flying.

As I began to take a look at the route of flight, I realized that I do not
have as good an understanding of the topological depictions on the VFR charts
and proper altitude selection (I tend to plan too high), and so turn to my
forum siblings to help shore up my knowledge.

The proposed route of flight is: W00-OTT-BRV-GVE-ODR-(perhaps
PSK-KMKJ-KVJI-KTRI to avoid extra exposure to what looks to be high
terrain)KGKT (destination). My deviation looks like it keeps me out of the
rocks, but what if I decide to cut through? I don't think direct ODR-KGKT is
all that helpful, as the deviation is only calculated to cost 1 minute (no
wind) or 13 mins (current winds) at the time of typing this message.

Attached is a screenshot showing the route of flight with the longest leg at
96nm.

Skyvector.com wonderfully showed me that mountain obscuration may be a factor
during this flight, and I think I also can expect IMC conditions if I attempt
to remain above the block obstacle altitudes (there's a better name for this)
as depicted on the VFR sectional for terrain clearance. A review of the IFR
charts indicate I should be able to do the trip at 6500 VFR cruising altitude.

In September, should I favor taking this trip early morning, or can I expect
late morning/ early afternoon flying to be better? What if I return at night?
Can I expect to have a VFR-IMC encounter?

Thoughts on this plan and route?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 95
If it were me doing this trip (I wish I was) I'd probably have my first stop be KLYH to fill up before all the mountains and take the rest stop and stretch legs and then go full tilt to Pigeon Forge without the other airport landmarks, climbing up to 7k or so. We did a trip to Florida and we did a stop at KTRI (beautiful airport) and then just climbed high enough over the mountains in between. That's just me. :) Not sure about better time, if you have kids maybe early morning so it'd be cooler and they may sleep. Be sure they don't bring any soda or processed food bags (see other thread on that)

Me, I'd go 8500. Thermals and wind make it bumpy.

In September, the weather is usually pretty good. I'd go in the afternoon. I've been stuck more than once - waiting for morning stratus to burn off in the mountains.

Here is a pic of one morning in early november. My destination was 0A9 but it was socked in, so I had to stop at KGEV and wait for it to lift a bit. This pic is from the short run GEV-0A9 after the weather had improved enough to fly.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I think the name you're referencing is "MEF". Don't know the route so I'll go away now. Lol

Low altitude flight. :D Take a look at V204 from OLM to YKM.

Your idea of looking at MEAs on Low Altitude Enroute charts is not bad. Those MEAs are specified to ensure you have communications and navigation signals over the entire route. I can tell you from experience when crossing the Cascades on V204 below the MEA (VFR) that you will have communications with SEA center, but you will NOT have continuous coverage from the VORs defining the airway. Get above the MEA and your VOR receivers will be happy all the way across. You are thinking wisely.

Okay I can't give advice but I would do what I had done for the only less than a handful of barely xctry flights (including during training): simuate the route exactly as planned, in x-plane (video game/"desktop simulator") ;-)

do it at the proposed time and you can get actual, live weather data in the "simulated flight". always worked for me :D

looks like a scenic flight, hopefully you could record video over some of the segments.

If it were me doing this trip (I wish I was) I'd probably have my first stop be KLYH to fill up before all the mountains and take the rest stop and stretch legs and then go full tilt to Pigeon Forge without the other airport landmarks, climbing up to 7k or so. We did a trip to Florida and we did a stop at KTRI (beautiful airport) and then just climbed high enough over the mountains in between. That's just me. :) Not sure about better time, if you have kids maybe early morning so it'd be cooler and they may sleep. Be sure they don't bring any soda or processed food bags (see other thread on that)

I intend to do the trip (if we fly) in a single hop. I can carry 53gals usable and we have the weight available.

Just a simple note to mention that topology does not equal topography. Mathematicians everywhere can relax now...

A topologist is someone who can't tell the difference between a doughnut and a coffee mug.

On the surface, that statement may be true...

That route can be a ***** IFR or VFR. Figure on having a pretty good headwind, along with mountain wavesreaching pretty high, and getting above the towering cumulus can be a challenge. Personally, I love the scenery along that route but have been pretty unlucky with the weather.

Look at an enroute chart (even if you're going VFR) and go from there. If the MEA is 5,000 you could easily go at 5,500. Or, plan for the winds like I do. Lower headwinds and larger tailwinds are always favorable.

In September, the weather is usually pretty good. I'd go in the afternoon. I've been stuck more than once - waiting for morning stratus to burn off in the mountains.

Here is a pic of one morning in early november. My destination was 0A9 but it was socked in, so I had to stop at KGEV and wait for it to lift a bit. This pic is from the short run GEV-0A9 after the weather had improved enough to fly.

attachment.php

That's a beautiful picture

Back