Real world ditching

To my inexpert eye it seems the plane was going really fast when it hit. Looks like flaps were set at 20°. I assume the plane was traveling downwind, because the pilot had done a 180 to return.

I get it that the pilot was trying to reach shore, but it wasn't even close. Seems he should have concentrated more on a low speed ditching into the wind.

But like always, I wasn't in the cockpit.

It was fortunate the aircraft floated and that the airstair was undamaged by the impact. It allowed sufficient time to evacuate the aircraft.

Last edited:
He may have thought he could make it when he turned towards shore but once realized he couldn’t didn’t want to 180 it... but god bless em they got out...

Oh that water looks like it would be infested with Tiger Sharks!

She drown..... wasn’t the crash that kilt er’

why the Morgan Freeman impression by the narrator?

Didn't seem very stabilized.. stall horn blaring, etc. Whatever happened to pitching for best glide, not panicking, and landing into the wind to minimize your kinetic energy?

why the Morgan Freeman impression by the narrator?

Actually the narrator was Morgan's lesser known cousin, Lester, whose career took off in a different direction in hog callin' contest in the south....:lol::lol:

Didn't seem very stabilized.. stall horn blaring, etc. Whatever happened to pitching for best glide, not panicking, and landing into the wind to minimize your kinetic energy?
I think the pitching for best glide probably happened earlier, maybe before the video started. Seemed like this was the landing phase and they were trying to touch down just above stall speed similar to a short field were the horn might be chirping, I think this is why it keeps going off and on.

I think the pitching for best glide probably happened earlier, maybe before the video started. Seemed like this was the landing phase and they were trying to touch down just above stall speed similar to a short field were the horn might be chirping, I think this is why it keeps going off and on.

No, they just took off. However I would think if you are ditching you want to be at the slowest speed and may be that’s what he was trying to do before touchdown

The real lesson here is to always give the safety briefing before a flight, especially if you’re commercial. This guy opened himself up to some serious lawsuits by not giving a briefing.

The real lesson here is to always give the safety briefing before a flight, especially if you’re commercial.

The safety briefing is required for all commercial flights, but so far it is still not required for the passengers to actually pay attention... I have had passengers do the briefing for me...:lol:

When I was up in Alaska where most of the passengers have more time riding in a plane than I do flying them I would still do the briefing. If any portion of the flight was over water I make sure everyone knows where the flotation devices are.

Back