Real or Fake - Stunt plane lands w/ only one wing:

I can't tell either. The "flare" does look a little fake, but if it is real that guy did a heck of a job.

You might tell that the plane with one wing passes by the plane the pilot is in.

It would have been MUCH SAFER for the pilot to just bail out. Since he was doing acro, unless he was illegal, he would have had a parachute on.

All video and no links to actual news crews, ground photos, etc?

*cough*fake*cough*

It would have been MUCH SAFER for the pilot to just bail out. Since he was doing acro, unless he was illegal, he would have had a parachute on.
And of course the little pilot in this plane is just a plastic head and the guy actually flying had a radio control in his hand safely on the ground :skeptical:B)

If this is real (one wing flight and safe landing), then why is a little bit of ice deadly?

If this is real (one wing flight and safe landing), then why is a little bit of ice deadly?

http://www.reggiepaulk.com/2008/10/k...buzz-with.html

KillaThrill Generates Huge Buzzkill With Viral Airplane Crash Video

Well, the guys at KillaThrill are actually trying to keep the subterfuge going with a new website that shows their "pilot" in an interview right after his so-called flight. James Andersson is supposedly a pilot in the Red Bull Air Race, but if you notice the photos, you never actually see the Red Bull logo. Of course, a quick check with Red Bull themselves will show you he doesn't exist. Here's their roster in case you're curious:

Here's the video that's been circulating widely on the internet as fact, when in fact it is a complete fiction. At first blush, the aircraft looks real and the wing separation seems authentic. If you listen closely, you'll hear that the engine sounds are not properly synchronized, the radio chatter seems out of place and the people are definitely over-acting. But for its intended purpose, KillaThrill got a great viral advertising campaign. Congratulations!

Excellent point.

The first clue to me that it was a fake was the wing failure. No "pop" or other noise and no control cables/rods/wires dangling, just a completely clean separation.

Trapper John

Besides, only F-15's can fly without a wing.
That guy had part of a wing... at lower airspeed, he'd be toast. He realized he needed higher airspeed to maintain control so he stayed with it. But, I'm sure his hand wasn't far from the ejection handle.

Re: Can This Really be True ?????

Gary, this has been posted and discussed on a few threads already. Look for a thread started by Greebo...I can't recall what he named the thread though.

Re: Can This Really be True ?????

Yep, it really happen!

How many threads does this make? :D

1000% FAKE.... with enough thrust though, you can get a hippo to fly

Any landing you walk away from....

is a good landing.

Moral: never stop flying the airplane.

Link to video

Re: Any landing you walk away from....

Moral: check how many times this video has been posted here ;)

That's a cool video, refreshingly original! ;)

Rough crowd sometimes.

Ah, that's nuthin, even after you've seen it posted seven times.

You should see the one where he lands it on a treadmill after losing BOTH wings.

Here's one that was posted on AvSig. Maybe it'll do.

Best,

Dave
======================================

"My AF Form 5 records a flight of fifteen minutes with one landing. It was an interesting fifteen minutes.

The 44th Fighter Bomber Squadron was in its eighth day of a mobility exercise, operating out of Tao-Yuan Air Base in Taiwan. We were living in 12 men squad tents, eating out of a field kitchen, using outdoor latrines, but still flying our training missions as if we were back at our home base in Okinawa.

That morning, I was scheduled to tow an aerial gunnery target ' rag' for the first mission of the day.

As I headed toward the operations shack, I could see there weren't any holes in the cloud deck. After some unremembered time lapse, a few VFR holes began to appear. And I was given the ' OK ' to take-off.

Everything was normal on the start-up, so I taxied out to the end of the runway where the armament crew hooked up a long cable with its 20 foot target to my F-86 Sabre.

I had my Automatic Direction Finder tuned in to the home field frequency, but I deliberately did not have it on the "auto" mode since because I believed that the target's towing wire could result in a false reading.

Run-up at 90% was normal, so I released brakes, pushed to 100% and started my take-off roll. I pulled the plane off at approximately 130 knots. To prevent the target from tearing loose, I climbed at an steep angle to maintain that low speed.

As I weaved through various openings in the clouds, I was concentrating on finding the next hole. Once I was above the clouds, I would get a radio direction-finder fix with my ADF ' bird dog.'

My concentration was interrupted, by a horrific bang in the aft fuselage that felt as if some ' jolly green giant ' had wielded one hellacious blow against the fuselage with his sledge-hammer.

ALL OF THE FIRE WARNNG LIGHTS glared at me with a bright red intensity. And the entire plane vibrated so severely, it felt as if it might shake itself apart.

I had always heard that old adage that flying was hours of sheer boredom interrupted by moments of stark terror. In my case, there were no moments of terror, but I experienced helplessness as I wondered what the hell was going on.

After the initial shock, I started to talk myself : "No need for panic . . . just go through the emergency procedures.

" GET RID OF THE TARGET ! "

As I made a move to jettison the tow target—I realized . . it was gone—I had automatically ' pipped it off. '

Next . ." Pull the power back to IDLE." But it was already in IDLE—another automatic reaction.

But, neither action seemed to help a bit—and the fire warning lights were still glowing red. And the severe vibration was still rattling me around in the cockpit.

There was no other choice except to stopcock the throttle to shut down the engine. I stopcocked. That eased the vibration, but those damn fire-warning lights kept staring at me with that ominous red glare. And I recalled that one of the fire-activated sensors was mounted near the fuel tank within the fuselage.

If the forward warning light wasn't a malfunction, I had approximately twenty seconds before the aircraft would would blow up. And because of the explosion followed by severe vibration, I had every reason to believe that the fire warning was real . . not just an electrical short.

I decided to bail out.

When I began lowering my head prior to jettisoning the canopy, I must have been mesmerized by those red fire warning lights . . couldn't take my eyes off them. And I was just about to lift the handle to send the canopy on its merry way, when . .

. . the red fire warning lights blinked off !

I blinked my eyes and took a second look to be certain that I wasn't seeing what I wanted to see. But sure enough, both red lights were out.

Now, with the fire warnng lights off and the engine vibration gone, I decided that I had better reassess the situation, rather bailing out unnecessarily. At least I'd postpone the ejection . . for now.

My altitude was just over 3,000 feet, and my airspeed was about 135 knots; so I lowered the nose to gain the optimum glide speed of 185 knots, as I flipped the ADF radio control needle to AUTO.

The ADF needle pointed to my two o'clock, so I eased right until the ' bird dog 'needle was on my nose, and I was pointed toward the radio station. Gliding down therough the cloud layers, I decided I didn't have a runway in sight, by the time I had decended to 1500 feet . . I'd bail out.

With everything in some semblance of control, I had time to declare a Mayday, then make Mobile Control aware of my situation :

"Mobile, this is Punchbowl White Tow, I have a MAYDAY !"

"Roger, White Tow, what's your problem?"

"Mobile, I've had an explosion in the aft section, and both fire warning lights were on. I have stop cocked the throttle and the lights are out."

"White Tow, drop the target and jettison your tanks."

Almost simultaneous with that last communication, I broke out beneath the cloud deck and spotted a runway at my one o'clock position.

Now, I had made a number of simulated flame-out approaches, but they were always made over the air field at 6,000 feet, then " played " a 360 descending turn into a landing.

As low as I was, I knew this was going to be an error-prone, straight-in ' dead stick ' approach . . without the forgiveness allowed by circling down.

It appeared that I was going to be too high, so not only did I not drop the external fuel tanks, I also lowered the landing gear to bleed off the ' extra ' altitude.

"White Tow, where are you ?" " I'm north of the field about five miles out."

" We don't have you in sight. Keep us advised." " Roger, Mobile."

Suddenly, I realized that I was losing altitude much faster than I had anticipated. Every simulated flame out experience I'd had— had been the end of a mission—when very light on fuel. In this case, I had only ' been up ' for a few minutes. And I was very heavy—with nearly a full fuel load.

It was making a very big difference !

I immediately dropped the external fuel tanks and flipped the gear lever back into the "up" position to streamline the landing gear.

But it would not retract.

With the engine dead—I had no hydraulic pressure.

There was nothing to do except to flip the gear lever back into the down position and hope like hell that gravity would ease the gear down into their locked position. I breathed a sigh of relief . . when the gear read ' down and locked.'

As I continued the dead stick ' approach, I began looking for known landmarks around our air base at Tao-Yuan. Nothing looked familiar. Suddenly, it dawned on me.

I was not coming into our airfield !

I was gliding down into a strange airfield, wher the Tower had not prepared for my Mayday—and I maybe I'd have to dodge other aircraft—landing or taking off.

Fortunately, I could not see any activity down below—I would not have to wrestle with any Chinese planes to use the runway. [ I later learned that the Chinese squadrons were ' standing down ' until the clouds cleared a little more.] I was about to advise Mobile, when I spotted several thick, high tension electrical cables

. . . blocking my ' dead stick ' final.

I sure as hell wasn't about to give up any altitude by trying to go under the power lines. And I certainly wasn't about to " stretch " my glide and risking a stall by trying to pull up and go over them. So, I just I gritted my teeth and . .

. . bored right through them !

I was totally surprised at how easily that F-86 drove through the thick wires. There was never a jolt or any other disruption to a very smooth glide. Nothing more than a few " pings " as the wires popped.

Sparks flew as the burst heavy wire ends—brushed along the Sabre's fuselage.

I couldn't make the runway itself, but I could see that I was going to touchdown on the overrun. But just as I flared out . .

. . I saw the crash barrier !

It was set up for landings from the way. No alternative . . got the nose wheel on the ground . . plowed straight head.

Without so much as a jerk, the F-86 snapped through the crash barrier . . and rolled on down the runway.

I coasted off on to a taxiway and brought the plane to a halt. And when I opened the canopy and began unstrapping myself, a jeep with two Chinese soldiers drove up.

Hoping to be understood by them, I announced : " Flame Out !"

They looked at each other. Finally one muttered something to me that sounded like . . " WHEY " and they started to drive off.

" Halt !" I shouted as I was crawling out of the cockpit. The jeep had stopped, so I tried some new words on them : "Mayday, Mayday !"

After puzzled looks at one another, one of them said, "Wheyt," they began driving off once again.

"Halt !" I shouted.

So they stopped a third time. But by this time, I was running toward them. And as I jumped into their back seat, I said, "Take me to someone who speaks English."

I'm certain that they didn't understand my words; but I am just as certain they knew they should take me to someone who spoke English.

They drove me directly to a Chinese fighter squadron's Flight Operations building.

I was ushered in to a Chinese Major who spoke fairly good English. I explained the situation and said I needed to contact the 44th at Tao-Yuan to advise them that I was safe and exactly where I was. He said that he would have someone try to "get through" for me, then invited me to sit and relax.

My phone conversation to my squadron was brief and I was told to stay put until a helicopter arrived to take me back to Tao-Yuan. Soon, a command car pulled up and a rotund Chinese General emerged, followed by others. As they approached the entrance, the entire room snapped to attention.

I followed suit. As we all stood at attention, the General walked directly up to me.

When he reached me, as I was standing, he put his hand on my arm . . felt my chest . . reached up and felt my neck . . all the while talking in Chinese.

My imagination was running wild. Was this some type of Chinese foreplay, or maybe the preliminary to a condemnation ? My apprehension was relieved, however, when the major interpreted, "General wants to know if you are hurt."

"No sir, I'm fine."

More words from the general, were interpreted by the major, "General says you should not worry about ' knocking out ' all the electric power in this northern part of Formosa."

I made some sort of apology for whatever damage I had caused. And my comment was followed by more words between the major and the general and then interpreted to me, "You should not worry. We are just happy that you were not injured."

"Thank you, sir."

With that, the general and his entourage departed and a helicopter soon arrived to whisk me back to Tao-Yuan.

Life was back to normal.

[ Note: A section of the aircraft's turbine wheel plus five
blades had broken off, then penetrated out through its
engine shroud and its fuselage.]

Robert A. Matasick
[abridged]"

Why can't stuff like that get posted four times on every aviation forum in one month? :D

Ugh. SIX threads??? :(

This is almost worse than the treadmill, ATITAPA and With You, and logging PIC all in one.
Make it stop!

Ugh. SIX threads??? :(

This is almost worse than the treadmill, ATITAPA and With You, and logging PIC all in one.
Make it stop!
By the way... I hear the logging PIC without the appropriate endorsements is going to be addressed in the next overhaul of Part 61.

Honest! I'm not just stirrin' the puddin'. :)

COOL! Since Snopes didn't have an article about it, I wrote them.

Just got an email from them that they researched it, wrote an article, and posted it: http://www.snopes.com/photos/airplane/onewing.asp

Undetermined????

I watched again and determined that it's obvious that the taxiing plane turns about 290 degrees unseen in about 3/10 of a second, because one is an RC plane close to the camera and the other one is full size that pilot can open the canopy on. It has to turn away from the camera because, among other reasons, the real plane still has the other wing. :incazzato:

I got the video forwarded to me five times now, all by people thinking it's real. :mad2:

Now I can use this new smiley!

Re: You think you're a great pilot?

I suspect the RC plane doesn't have a smoke system. :lol:

RC's do have smoke systems. Tower Hobbies handles the smoke oil and RC kits.
I purchased smoke oil for my Rockwell Commander 114 from them. I installed a smoke kit during annual. Its sold as a "Visual Collision Avoidance System" by Smoking Airplanes in California and needed a 337 approval.
Lots of fun too?
Gary
BTW, the video is bogus.

Attachments

• T82_Smoke_On.jpeg
    T82_Smoke_On.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 7
  • T82_Miesch-Walker.jpeg
    T82_Miesch-Walker.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 7
Re: You think you're a great pilot?

...I purchased smoke oil for my Rockwell Commander 114 from them. I installed a smoke kit during annual. Its sold as a "Visual Collision Avoidance System" by Smoking Airplanes in California and needed a 337 approval.
Lots of fun too?

My Cherokee has (had) a smoke system, too. It came from the factory. :cornut:

Mostly it just made the belly all back and grungy. :D

Ugh... this one, again! I only have one thing to say about it:

bs_flag.gif

Back