Real Numbers on a Seneca I

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Local flight center has a Seneca I to rent. I'm seriously considering getting the rating, as this is a real six-seater.

I understand that we're only talking 200 hp a side, but the useful load, range, and interior comfort are real selling points. Also nice is no worries about shock cooling or critical engine.

Equipment is basic but does include a 430. No AP, but the owner is working on that (and he is an A&P).

So the question is, what are some real world numbers on this? This isn't a Seneca V with the redesigned cowlings, automatic wastegates, etc., but can I expect a cruise of maybe 160 kts? (Numbers are in MPH in the POH, and they say that ideally at 8,000 I could see 190 MPH--but that's -ideally-.)

The flight center would like me to do the full multi-comm, but I just want to do the multi IFR rating to add on to the private.

"Safety is an illusion demanded by those delusional enough to think they can cheat death." --Henning

You honestly are quoting Henning??? I might have to question your piloting abilities :rofl:

Not sure about 6 people and 160kts with any normal amount of fuel.

You should find a C210 for rent, much more of a workhorse

You honestly are quoting Henning??? I might have to question your piloting abilities :rofl:

Not sure about 6 people and 160kts with any normal amount of fuel.

You should find a C210 for rent, much more of a workhorse

Haha, Henning is controversial, but I like this quote (and even obtained his permission to use it).

So you're saying 160 kts is probably ideal. Would 155 be closer to reality? The Cirrus I fly now reliably gets 145, but only really carries three plus bags.

A C210 or C206 would be great, but not available around here.

Seneca 1 = 150 knots.....if it's not clapped out. That is obtained at 7,000.

Seneca 1 = 150 knots.....if it's not clapped out. That is obtained at 7,000.

I appreciate your input, Dr. Bruce--no one is more expert in Senecas on this board than you, I'd bet. By "clapped out," do you mean fitted with the LoPresti mods, or something similar?

I appreciate your input, Dr. Bruce--no one is more expert in Senecas on this board than you, I'd bet. By "clapped out," do you mean fitted with the LoPresti mods, or something similar?
No. He can have all the mods he wants and he'll get about 5 more knots. But I meant "out of rig", "engines with marginal compression", Gear doors that don't close flush any longer, etc etc for "clapped out".

Nearly all of them were once training birds.

No. He can have all the mods he wants and he'll get about 5 more knots. But I meant "out of rig", "engines with marginal compression", Gear doors that don't close flush any longer, etc etc for "clapped out".

Nearly all of them were once training birds.

Got it. This one will be, too. The A&P in question is a man with a knowledgeable and deft hand, so I'm sure the compressions will be good. I'm not sure, though, that it'll be worth it to him to ensure perfect rig and door flush, etc. That's fine by me, as long as the engines are humming.

I'll plan on blocks of 150, and be quite thankful for it, with the useful load it brings.

Someday though, Dr. Bruce, a tricked out Sennie II is in my future. I'm sure you're blocking 170 kts in the high teens, right?

Got it. This one will be, too. The A&P in question is a man with a knowledgeable and deft hand, so I'm sure the compressions will be good. I'm not sure, though, that it'll be worth it to him to ensure perfect rig and door flush, etc. That's fine by me, as long as the engines are humming.

I'll plan on blocks of 150, and be quite thankful for it, with the useful load it brings.

Someday though, Dr. Bruce, a tricked out Sennie II is in my future. I'm sure you're blocking 170 kts in the high teens, right?
Yup.
But it works out to 160 kts block to block, as in my late Sept/Oct western trip.

Attachments

• Flightaware.BCSept28-small2.pdf
    63.8 KB · Views: 34
Yup.
But it works out to 160 kts block to block, as in my late Sept/Oct western trip.

Well, that's pretty sweet, with all that the Seneca brings to the table. More than that, you'd have to go to a C90--with probably double the operating cost, for only 15 or 20 extra knots!

Actually a C90 would be an extra 60+ knots or so not to mention the additional climb.

Do the math on the weight with sufficient fuel to get somewhere, I was not overly impressed by the numbers on the II I did my multi in. Biiiiig cabin, but hard to fill it.

Also unless it has club seats the center row is for small kids or amputees only.

Do the math on the weight with sufficient fuel to get somewhere, I was not overly impressed by the numbers on the II I did my multi in. Biiiiig cabin, but hard to fill it.

Also unless it has club seats the center row is for small kids or amputees only.

It isn't in club configuration. Center seat could be for cello, though!

Local flight center has a Seneca I to rent. I'm seriously considering getting the rating, as this is a real six-seater.

I understand that we're only talking 200 hp a side, but the useful load, range, and interior comfort are real selling points. Also nice is no worries about shock cooling or critical engine.

Equipment is basic but does include a 430. No AP, but the owner is working on that (and he is an A&P).

So the question is, what are some real world numbers on this? This isn't a Seneca V with the redesigned cowlings, automatic wastegates, etc., but can I expect a cruise of maybe 160 kts? (Numbers are in MPH in the POH, and they say that ideally at 8,000 I could see 190 MPH--but that's -ideally-.)

The flight center would like me to do the full multi-comm, but I just want to do the multi IFR rating to add on to the private.

Not a real six-seater, although it has six seats. We lost one in the Seattle area that had four football players on board when an engine failed on takeoff. It's a real four-seater.

Bob Gardner

Not a real six-seater, although it has six seats. We lost one in the Seattle area that had four football players on board when an engine failed on takeoff. It's a real four-seater.

Bob Gardner

But it is a real four-seater, as you say. It would be great to have that, plus room for a couple of bags.

Unless you want your Cello covered in sticky hydraulic goop I wouldn't recommend it.

Just don't let David near your 210, or a Mooney for that matter, and everything will be fine. :D

Your daughters, motorcycles and anything with 4 wheels might also be a good idea to keep from his reach. :rofl:

But it is a real four-seater, as you say. It would be great to have that, plus room for a couple of bags.

If it has long range tanks (was that an option on the I?) it will not haul more than three (and only just) with full fuel. Granted that is a LOT of gas

Back