Ready to give up

patmike

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
pat
I'm at that point right now. Last week I did mock checkride with different instructor and did ok. He shared his observations with my regular instructor and today we went up to polish up the rough edges and if all went well call the DPE. Things started out ok till we diverted to a different airport to do soft field and short field landings. First 2 attempts were go arounds so now I was frustrated. Took me a while to get my site picture dialed in but by then I couldn't seem to get anything right. We headed back back to the home field and on the way did a simulated engine out, that went well. Did a short field landing at home base. After a critique of the flight my instructor asked if I was able to fly twice a week. The airport is 50 miles from home and I work all the overtime I can to pay for flying so Sun. is my only flying day. If all I can do is once week and at that rate I'm just always polishing the rough edges I figure I might as well quit while I'm ahead.

You're at the 25 mile marker of a marathon and you want to give up?!

It's frustrating when your almost there but can't quite make it over the hump.

My advice:

Take a week or 2 off, build up the warchest and study on the ground, then fly 2x/day on Sundays or whenever else you can sneak in a lesson, then take the checkride ASAP.

Once you get your license, dial it back a bit and look for something closer to home- at that point your license will never expire. Whereas right now, you don't have anything to show for it.

Take it from someone who made it to the checkride, stopped for 5 months, then went back to finish up- you'll be glad you saw it all the way through, even if you never use the license again.

Do NOT give up! I felt the same way you did preparing for my checkride. The trick is to think about flying every free second you get. When you go to bed, start running a mock checkride in your head. Seriously, it sounds funny but if you continue to think about all the different tasks required for the checkride it helps when you finally jump back in that seat. I was only able to fly once a week, and sometimes once every two weeks. Took me a little over a year but I got there, you will too. Hell I wanted to give up during my checkride itself! Never stop pushing yourself.

The way you feel right now is more common than you might think. DONT think that this will be typical of what you'll feel after you get your license. For one thing, when you're by yourself, your engine isn't failing every 5 minutes like it does with a CFI. :)

Take a break. A week or two off might actually help you. It sounds weird, but after reaching this point with anything, it means you're tired. Go to a movie, take a walk, go swimming, etc. anything but flying. Then come back fresh and see if you do any better.

You might also go up by yourself a few times just to work on whatever occurs to you. Get the instructor (and therefore the stress) out of the plane (if you're solo'd). I learn much better by myself. You might too.

Whatever you do, please don't give up. You can do this. It's entirely possible it's your instructor, and not you. Lots of things could be wrong. You'll get this.

A few tips I can add.. take them or leave them.

1. Chair fly. Close your eyes, run through each maneuver beginning to end. Include clearing turns. Talk to yourself out loud. Simulate moving your hands to the throttle, flaps, trim, etc.

2. Write down notes after each flight. The good. The bad. Things you think you should note.

example - After I got back from my first multi-engine flight, I wrote down that on the particular N-number, the right throttle was a lot more sensitive than the left, and when adding power, be cautious of this and lead with the left throttle to keep the engine synchronized.

3. Watch videos on YouTube. Take away what you think will help you. Watch other people.

4. Observe flights from the back seat (It's free). Talk to other pilots.

5. If you dedicate Sun. to flying. Stay at the airport all day, or as much as you can manage. You may be able to study easier in that environment. Hell, just hang out. Make friends.

Most importantly, don't quit. Ever. If your examiner thinks you'll quit at the first sign of trouble, he'll fail you. You need to have confidence.

Everyone has bad days. It happens. Wait for the sun to rise again and give it another shot.

Last edited:
Don't quit. Finish and have it done. Make arrangements to fly with an instructor or other good pilot as often as you can to improve. The license is only a starting point. Fresh pilots know the regs and the charts and are dangerous as hell in the air! You'll improve. Most of us did. ... at least we think we did. ...!

Give up now? You will be kicking yourself for walking away this far in. Yes it's frustrating being this close but having the few things be a thorn in your side. But keep going.

When I seemed to hit some sort of a wall with training, I'd take off for a little longer than normal and it would help.

I was flying 2-3 days a week and if the stress level went up, I'd back it off and wait a week till the next lesson. That really helps when you are learning. 3 lessons a week can be overload sometimes.

Don't give up though. You're too close. Remember, you'll still make mistakes after you pass your checkride. I'm 25-30 hours past mine right now and I just botched a landing and go-around today. You'll never be perfect.

I know you're feeling. Last week I did a mock-checkride with a DPE friend of my CFI. He was able to dig deeply into my shortcomings during the ground work of three hours (camshaft's effect on lack of power, etc.) and I flew terribly. I couldn't get a decent landing to save my life and my stalls were horrible.

I was done by 3pm after starting at 9:30am and I couldn't even return my CFI's call that evening as part of my wanted to curl up and burn my logbook. It's hard to have put so much work into something and then feel like you're so far away when you're supposed to be days or weeks away from taking your ride.

I took a couple days off then went back up with my CFI to work on my rough spots. I'll be practicing for the next two days, too.

I just wanted to say you're not alone and this has been the toughest stretch. I felt so good after my fantastic solo cross-countries, I felt like I was dropped off a cliff at this portion.

I hope you can stick with it and just know it should make you -- and me -- a better pilot in the long run! Good luck and don't forget to have fun! If you want, just go up with your CFI and do a fun flight, enjoy the scenery, and remind yourself why this is an amazing adventure!

Flying once a week is fine. I did it less than that, and I have my certificate just like you will soon. You must keep your head in the game during the week and come fully prepared on Sunday. Cpt_Kirk gave great advice above.

Last edited:
I'm doing my prep too, dont quit you will get it. My CFI told me the last few hours are the hardest some times, its their job to get us ready. They throw all kinds of stuff at us, i took off thursday and was 200 feet and he pulls throttle and i hear those horrible words "engine quit". Iv learned i can land fine wit no power, i even do it on purpose but i wasnt expecting it on take off. This is the last hurdle before a dream.

Joining the chorus: don't quit. You're very close. If only 1 day/week works for training then accept that and deal with it, and simply assume that you'll have rough edges a bit longer.

If you're this close and money is a big issue, maybe consider debt to get over the hump (simply because, relative to what you've already spent, it's a minor sum). Once you have the ticket you can back off for months, not spend money, and then return to flying with an extensive flight review but no check ride.

... After a critique of the flight my instructor asked if I was able to fly twice a week. ...

Sounds like just a simple question, not a demand or requirement for future training. Most of us would be better pilots if we could fly twice a week, but I'm guessing that most of us can't, for a variety of reasons.

As others have said, you have come too far to quit now!

yeah, don't quit. I felt the same way a coupl'a times during training. you will eventually get over the humps and then look back and laugh about the stuggles you went thru. keep at it, it will all be worth it.

I'm at that point right now. Last week I did mock checkride with different instructor and did ok. He shared his observations with my regular instructor and today we went up to polish up the rough edges and if all went well call the DPE. Things started out ok till we diverted to a different airport to do soft field and short field landings. First 2 attempts were go arounds so now I was frustrated. Took me a while to get my site picture dialed in but by then I couldn't seem to get anything right. We headed back back to the home field and on the way did a simulated engine out, that went well. Did a short field landing at home base. After a critique of the flight my instructor asked if I was able to fly twice a week. The airport is 50 miles from home and I work all the overtime I can to pay for flying so Sun. is my only flying day. If all I can do is once week and at that rate I'm just always polishing the rough edges I figure I might as well quit while I'm ahead.

This is a bad thing? Too many balls of aluminum caused by pilots who failed to go around when it was the obvious thing to do. ALWAYS go around if the approach doesn't look right.

Bob Gardner

Persevere! You have the skill, you're simply working to improve your consistency. We all went through it and you can, too. We're waiting for you on the other side of the finish line, ready to shake your hand in congratulation.

You know how to fly. You're good enough at it that you're preparing for the checkride, the last step before a license. You cannot quit now. I got further than you; I failed my first checkride. I wasn't going to quit, but I was going to "take some time off" before taking it again. My instructor convinced me that was a very bad idea, and I am so grateful that he did. While I didn't fly very much for a few years after I got my certificate, I still had it when I wanted to go back. If I would have had to start over again I would not be flying now at all. So, get it down. Fly as much as you can, get over the hump, and get your certificate. Then you can decide what you want to do next.

A common observation I have had with students is that a few of the flights prior to the check ride are horrible. The first few times I observed this I wanted to know what happened to my regular student as he'd been replaced by someone who had never touched an airplane.
Relax. If your CFI says you are ready you are ready. As Bob pointed out a go-around is no a bad thing and it shows judgement that you executed one. Good judgement is one of the hardest things to evaluate and it seems you have demonstrated this.

Man it would be pretty soft to give up when the going gets tough. How much money have you sunk into this up until now when you've gotten to mock check ride stage? Just for that reason alone you owe it to yourself to finish. Never mind the rewarding experience of proving you can overcome some obstacles and persevere through tough challenges.

Just finish and take the check ride.

It's normal. The pressure is on. Your head is chock full of facts for the oral. My mock checkride went great right up until the short field landing. I had to delay the checkride a couple of weeks while I practiced my landings.

Hang in there. You will get it done.

You need to relax bro. Sometimes a break builds more skill then hammered repetition. I don't mean a month or a year, take a sunday off go to the lake with friends for the weekend. Then punch that ticket and punch the sky. Woohoo.

Attachments

• stock-vector-green-fat-troll-with-smiley-white-avatar-81990055.jpg
    stock-vector-green-fat-troll-with-smiley-white-avatar-81990055.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 6
I too had a similar situation with timing and driving, etc. Nowhere near a checkride but I was driving 45 miles one way twice a week to fly. Driving more than flying it seemed. I decided to buy a plane and keep it local. Had to get a new cfi but so far im very happy because i can fly 4 days a week if i want. Keep at it....you are almost there!

Last edited:
But has anyone noticed the OP has not responded?

I'm still here. I think I'll take a combination of all the good advice and encouragement. Take a week off and see how things look. Maybe go fly by myself to that other airport and practice up there.

I'm still here. I think I'll take a combination of all the good advice and encouragement. Take a week off and see how things look. Maybe go fly by myself to that other airport and practice up there.

To get the motivation back up, you should also go flying just for the sake of flying - no planned practice. Plenty of scenery to just take in from 1000 - 2000 AGL.

Pat, I'm about 2.5 weeks away from mine right now as well and still having both good and bad days in the air. Like you, I've had circumstances where sometimes I couldn't fly for months at a time. All good advice above and I have nothing more to offer except I'll make you a deal: You and I both keep pressing on and knock this thing out SOON so we can have a real (or virtual) beverage-of-choice to celebrate afterwards! If ya want someone to vent to that's in a similar place, PM me and I'll shoot you my mobile number, email, smoke-signal-GPS-location, etc. We've put too much into this now to let a bad day/week/month of flying stop us...

Wade

To get the motivation back up, you should also go flying just for the sake of flying - no planned practice. Plenty of scenery to just take in from 1000 - 2000 AGL.

Something to be said for that. Lessons can be stressful. Do a scenic flight for an hour to remind you why you're doing this:)

Strangely enough, some of my best days have been getting back in the plane after not flying for 2 or 3 even 3 weeks because of bad weather and scheduling conflicts. Take a few weeks off like others have said, then do another mock check ride.

Some of my WORST flying ever was in the days leading up to my check ride. Maybe the nerves are getting to you? Keep on pushing for it man!

My advice is to just hang in there. Flying once a week is okay. That is what I did for both my PPL and IR. It is normal to start to overanalyze at this point in your training. Relax, and remember you are doing this because it is fun!

Two thoughts,

1) Cpt_Kirk's advice is spot on, read that, print it and use it.

2) Don't give up, I wanted to more than once. After bad lessons and looking at the money going out it was tempting to just call it quits. You have NO IDEA but when you are handed that temporary piece of paper, it is the single most personally gratifying accomplishment that you may ever feel....... I know it was for me. Don't miss out on that being this close.

By the way, I did a go around during my checkride (winds kicked up unexpectedly and I did not feel the landing was a sure thing). I honestly think it scored points with the DPE that I went around. So don't sweat it. You know how to fly or you would not be doing mock checkrides.

The last couple flights prior to my checkride my landings were horrible.

I like pressure though. :) I knew what I needed to do and nailed them on my checkride. You have good days and bad days.

The big thing in a PPL checkride is you don't want to scare the guy (or gal). Sure, there are some parameters you have to deal with to pass but for the most part, if you are on your checklists, make good decisions (go-around...don't force it down...) it's all good. Remember, you have to do a go-around anyway on a checkride so if it's not looking right take advantage of that. My CFI beat it into me, "Never be ashamed of going around...".

I fly less frequently now that I've had my PPL for a year or so. It comes back quickly but I don't get too frustrated with myself if my pattern work isn't perfect. I just have to give it a 110%. One of the best landings I ever did was the first one in a 9kt 90 degree crosswind when I hadn't flown for a month and a plane crashed (yes, literally...check my previous posts from a month or so ago...) in front of me while I was on final. I greased it.

So, you'll amaze yourself at what you can do when it all on the line.

Pat, nobody likes a crybaby so just grit your teeth and get it done. If a schmuck like me can do (and I will do it soon in spite of all those who believe otherwise), then so can you for sure.

Back