Ready for that Glider add on?

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
As most of you probably do not know, Matt Michael, Pete VonTresckow, Adam Kite, I, and others are making a pilgrimage to Marfa, TX just after Christmas. Goal is to get Adam his commercial and CFI-G, and to get Pete his commercial-glider. Matt and I will be working like mad to get it done, and it should be a blast.

Now I know that theres a bunch of people in PoA-land who are really jealous of all the fun that us glider guys have. Thats OK. It looks like I'll have a bit of free time after this trip, and if I can rustle up a few students, I may just stick around down there. It is a heck of a lot warmer in SW Texas, plus our good friend Dave Taylor lives there!

So sure its short notice, but if you've been dreaming about adding that private or commercial glider to your certificate, need that flight review, etc. look me up and maybe we can work something out.

I'm up for possibly making something happen. I'd love to add "Glider" to my tickets.

You should come to Ohio for your glider work. We have a lot more to offer than Texas. No sun, freezing rain, sleet, snow, 200' ceilings for days and of course severe ice!

You should come to Ohio for your glider work. We have a lot more to offer than Texas. No sun, freezing rain, sleet, snow, 200' ceilings for days and of course severe ice!

He makes a compelling case, you have to admit! :D

I'd really be up for it, unfortunately I'm in the position of not having a lot of free time when you'd be available for it. :(

We'll have to find another time, though, and when that happens I will take you up on it!

I'd really be up for it, unfortunately I'm in the position of not having a lot of free time when you'd be available for it. :(

We'll have to find another time, though, and when that happens I will take you up on it!

Ted, I think you echoed my sentiments. We should convince him to come over this way sometime. How about it, Tony?

Ted, I think you echoed my sentiments. We should convince him to come over this way sometime. How about it, Tony?

lets keep in touch as things get warmer at these latitudes

Glider Party in Marfa Tx! Everyone come!

Lookin forward to seeing all of you!

Any chance for stick-time for Tommy?

How 'bout taildragger endorsement for his dad?

yes, if you find a taildragger that i can teach in. Burt has a 180 HP Cessna 150 with STOL kit for a towplane.

Hubba - I want to fly that beastie! :D

give rides. several glider operations near big cities and or tourist areas keep pretty busy giving rides.

When you are ready to tackle that other Mecca for gliders - Minden, Nevada - look me up. I'll meet you there and trade either tailwheel time or horseback rides for glider time.

I will be there looking to glean some knowledge from the master!

I will be there looking to glean some knowledge from the master!
Don't ya have to at least look like you need to shave before you can be considered a master?

Or, were you not talking about Tony? :)

Over Jean NV in a Schweizer 2-33.
What's with all the Snow..?? This is supposed to be the Southwest Mojave Desert!!!

Attachments

• snowy_view_from_above.jpg
    snowy_view_from_above.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 17
Don't ya have to at least look like you need to shave before you can be considered a master?

Or, were you not talking about Tony? :)

Who knows but I quit shaving last week just in case

I might have a bigger beard than both MM and TC, there could be a flaw in the hairy master logic, either way I am here and wondering if those two will ever show up!

ah you're driving me nuts Adam! We'll be there Saturday.

We had more snow up here in the frozen white north...yay!

I am SOOOO ready to get the hell out of here for points further south.

See you all Saturday.

Hey Guys, I just thought I should let you know that it was a nice day with a bit of wind here today. Now the wind didnt stop me from getting six flights and 2.5 hours in the Blanik or anything like that, it also didnt interfere with me knocking out the commercial and learning a ton from Burt! To top it off Kathie made a wonderful Christmas dinner for us tonight! I wish all of you were here already but I guess I will just have to wait till Saturday!

Nick,

Matt, Pete, and I will only be there for the week, Im pretty sure. We plan to depart Marfa on Jan. 3.

Hmmm.

If I'm to come, it had best be the 1st...

Hey Guys, I just thought I should let you know that it was a nice day with a bit of wind here today. Now the wind didnt stop me from getting six flights and 2.5 hours in the Blanik or anything like that, it also didnt interfere with me knocking out the commercial and learning a ton from Burt! To top it off Kathie made a wonderful Christmas dinner for us tonight! I wish all of you were here already but I guess I will just have to wait till Saturday!

got the checkride passed? awesome!

Hmmm.

If I'm to come, it had best be the 1st...

hope that you and tomster can make it spike!

Whoa! Hold the phone! You can earn your glider rating with me year-round at Marfa in west Texas, not just when the midwest gang is here. They are just using Marfa as a base to get some flying and checkrides done. I'm here soaring most all year long! Matt, Tony and Adam will return from time to time as my "guest instructors" to help out.

Email me for more info on earning your glider rating / getting currency in gliders and towplanes, and Marfa / Fort Davis accommodations at marfagliders@aol.com

Adam did great and earned his COM Glider with me today. Now prepping for his CFIG checkride on next Saturday and his towpilot recurrency. Weather forecast looks very good this last week of 2008, and folks are welcome anytime to visit Marfa Gliders Soaring Center. Airlines serve El Paso (ELP) and Midland (MAF) Texas. Rent a car and drive to the scenic Davis Mountains and the Marfa Plateau. Marfa Airport (KMRF) is about 5,000' MSL, so summer temps are not that hot. Marfa is southeast of El Paso, between Carlsbad Caverns and Big Bend National Parks. Wonderful big sky and relaxing small town hospitality. Thermals and wave this week. Our wave window goes to 30,000' MSL, and our Wave Camp will be April 4 - 11. Come visit Marfa anytime! Email in advance for scheduling: marfagliders@aol.com

Burt Compton, SSA Master Instructor / FAA DPE (PVT-COM-CFI-G checkrides)
cell: 800-667-9464 (mornings are best)

well im about ready to hit the road out of minneapolis, meeting Pete and Matt in Ames and leaving about noon, then onwards towards Marfa!

When you are ready to tackle that other Mecca for gliders - Minden, Nevada - look me up. I'll meet you there and trade either tailwheel time or horseback rides for glider time.

That's where I got my glider add-on and I'd give the whole experience there a ringing endorsement. I'm curious about Estrella though. Anyone have any experience there?

Burt is not one to blow his own horn so I must step in and announce that he very recently was crowned 2009 CFI of the Year for our region! Congrats, Burt.

And he runs a top notch operation in Marfa....his is THE place to go to learn soaring, to have fun soaring, to set soaring records, to attend soaring camps. We are so glad he is at our airport.

I second Dave's comments! Tony, MM, Pete, be careful on that long drive, now if you find yourself in Kansas facing a large creek running over a dirt road in MM's car, FLOOR IT! It worked out last time, it will work again. I think somebody should post the picture of that adventure.

I second Dave's comments! Tony, MM, Pete, be careful on that long drive, now if you find yourself in Kansas facing a large creek running over a dirt road in MM's car, FLOOR IT! It worked out last time, it will work again. I think somebody should post the picture of that adventure.

...this sounds, somehow, like that scene in "Road Trip," when they jump the downed bridge in a Mercury Sable.

Too bad we can't track them on driveaware. ;)

Back