Read Backs

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
Why does the book-method vary from the actual?

Looking in the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, Appendix 1, in the read backs the pilot starts with the tail numbers. This seems logical and correct.

In actual practice, I hear airliners and weekenders alike ending the read back with the tail number. This is the habit I have gotten into with my mere 10 hrs.

Is one correct? Any pros/cons to either method?

Lots of folks do it, but the correct format is tail number/callsign first.

Read back and then tail number for me. I never knew that call sign first was correct.

Maybe if I actually read the thing...

If your transmission is blocked/coincides with another plane's transmission and you have said your tail number last, chances are that the controller will reply to you, whereas a tail number said first would be lost in the shuffle.

Same reason why it is good practice to say the name of the airport at the end of a transmission on Unicom...several airports share the same Unicom frequency, but if you say "Podunk traffic, Buzzbomb 1234x entering downwind, Podunk" pilots who catch only a part of your transmission will not think that you are at another airport using the same freq.

Bob Gardner

AIM 4-2-3 c. states "Acknowledge with your aircraft identification, either at the beginning or at the end of your transmission..."

Personally I think it sounds weird to say it first.

I prefer giving my callsign at the beginning although for a long clearance readback I often do both beginning and end.

But the AIM 4-4-7 (b).1 says either is OK:

Include the aircraft identification in all
readbacks and acknowledgments. This aids control-
lers in determining that the correct aircraft received
the clearance or instruction. The requirement to
include aircraft identification in all readbacks and
acknowledgements becomes more important as
frequency congestion increases and when aircraft
with similar call signs are on the same frequency.

EXAMPLE−
“Climbing to
Flight Level three three zero, United T
welve”
or “November Five Charlie Tango, roger, cleared to land
runway nine left.”

As already stated, AIM 4-2-3 says that the callsign can be either at the beginning or end of the readback. Either way is correct. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I prefer the callsign at the end of the readback because it allows me to repeat the numbers that I'm reading back first which I find helpful in remembering them long enough to follow the instruction. If I say my callsign first I'm more likely to forget or make a mistake with the heading/altitude/frequency, etc. that I was given.

Generally if I call them, I use my calling before I make the request/convey the message.

When I am responding to them, I will make my reply and end with the last 3 of my call sign.

Interesting.....learn something new every day I suppose :)

I agree that C/S at end is easier especially with a lengthier readback being required

I will make my reply and end with the last 3 of my call sign.
Since we're discussing the detailed requirements...

You can only abbreviate your callsign when the ground station (ATC) abbreviates it first.

Sometimes I say my call sign in the beginning, sometimes I say it at the end. Doesn't really matter as long as you say it.

Since the callsign (tail number or flight number) is used at the beginning of the ATC transmission to identify the intended recipient of the transmission (such as "Bugsmasher 123, turn left heading 030" or "American 228, descend and maintain fife thousand"), the reply should logically not start the same way and the tail number in the readback should thus be at the end (such as "left 030, Bugsmasher 123" or "leaving niner thousand for five thousand, American 228").

I agree that saying the callsign first sounds weird. That's because it sounds like I am calling myself "Bugsmasher 123, left 030". :dunno: However saying "Bugsmasher 123 is turning left 030" is better, IMO. But that's just my own opinion. Git yer own! :D

For some reason I read my tail number first when receiving an initial IFR clearance, but acknowledging everything else it's pretty much at the end... and clipped to the last 3 digits almost all of the time after two-way has been established unless told to use the full call sign.

My mind is like a shelf full of baby food jars. Put one more on the front, and one has to fall off the back.

If I have to read back anything involved (e.g., squawk + frequency + altitude) first thing on my mind is to accurately repeat and process those numbers. Saying the callsign (more numbers) at the beginning of the readback gets in the way of that. It'll wait until the end of the transmission.

Back