Re-registering expired N number?

buzzard86

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jim R
Have any of you been through the process of re-registering an airplane that was de-registered due to failure to renew? Plane in question was due in October 2020 but the owner let it lapse. Regs say "If the N-number is canceled without being reserved, it will not be available for re-assignment or reservation for the next five years" but I can't tell if this means it can't/won't be able to be reregistered to the same aircraft or if I can simply reactive with new registration application and bill of sale.

Can you guys clarify for me? Thanks.

-Jim

Last edited:
can't/won't be able to be reregistered to the same aircraft or if I can simply reactive with new registration application and bill of sale.
It won't be available to any aircraft. HOWEVER... with the pandemic certain rules were "dropped" due to the backlog and you may have a chance to slide your rereg into the mix but I would call Aircraft Registration in Oak City direct without delay. I just went through this assisting a friend who lives off grid and I was able to get his registration completed even though it was past the deadline. Oct 2020 maybe pushing it but if there's a way the people in Oak City will make it happen.

It won't be available to any aircraft. HOWEVER... with the pandemic certain rules were "dropped" due to the backlog and you may have a chance to slide your rereg into the mix but I would call Aircraft Registration in Oak City direct without delay. I just went through this assisting a friend who lives off grid and I was able to get his registration completed even though it was past the deadline. Oct 2020 maybe pushing it but if there's a way the people in Oak City will make it happen.

Good to know, thanks. Calling OKC today.

It takes a long time after the "failure to renew" before the FAA officially recycles the N number and then even longer before they will let you reserve it. I was watching the number of the first airplane I ever flew. It was totalled in a crash, but it took a while for the number to become available. Of course, it was compounded by the fact that this wreckage was one of the ones that Barron Thomas was using for his investment scam.

You aren't the only one. I haven't been through the process, but I would guess at least a half dozen of the aircraft owners on our airport have gone through it. The renewal post-card the FAA sends can easily look like junk mail and get pitched.

When I last spoke to someone at my fsdo about this they said the n number would be on a 5 year hold before it's purged and can be used again. You might get lucky at OKC.

When I last spoke to someone at my fsdo about this they said the n number would be on a 5 year hold before it's purged and can be used again. You might get lucky at OKC.

Actually, as long as the existing owner is trying to rereg in the five year window, all they have to do is mail in the fee and the application. That they can't do is use the "express" code that the normal renewal takes. I screwed this up on my plane. I had to sit tight several weeks while my registration made it through the mill. Fortunately this was after the express renewal closed but before my prior registration officially expired.

My dad went through this with a Champ that he bought from an estate a few years ago. It took damned near a year to get his registration.

Note you are given more leeway if you are a NEW owner trying to redo the registration. Then you can use the temporary while awaiting FAA processing.

Actually, as long as the existing owner is trying to rereg in the five year window, all they have to do is mail in the fee and the application. That they can't do is use the "express" code that the normal renewal takes. I screwed this up on my plane. I had to sit tight several weeks while my registration made it through the mill. Fortunately this was after the express renewal closed but before my prior registration officially expired.
Ahh, see my inquiry was on purchasing an aircraft out of registration. Ended up buying one with current registration. Took more than 3 months for it to go through.

Last edited:
Note you are given more leeway if you are a NEW owner trying to redo the registration. Then you can use the temporary while awaiting FAA processing.
IIRC, the Trump organization took advantage of this when they let the registration on their business jet lapse. They sold it from one Trump entity to another, and by virtue of the buyer being a new owner, were able to immediately register.

I suppose us mere mortals could sell the plane to an ad hoc LLC, thereby bypassing the registration delay... but beware the use tax monster, depending on the jurisdiction. If in California, retain counsel before passing go or collecting $200!

Paul

OP here. Mixed bag of news from OKC. The good news is that since the deregistration was due to the owner's non-renewal and not an event (like destroyed in an accident), the tail # is in limbo and not in the reassignment pool. I can apply for a new registration and request it back. The bad news is that the plane can't be flown until the number is reissued and they cautioned me that the process could take a long time.

OP here. Mixed bag of news from OKC. The good news is that since the deregistration was due to the owner's non-renewal and not an event (like destroyed in an accident), the tail # is in limbo and not in the reassignment pool. I can apply for a new registration and request it back. The bad news is that the plane can't be flown until the number is reissued and they cautioned me that the process could take a long time.

Everyone knows that it is incredibly dangerous to fly an airplane if the FAA hasn't issued a particular piece of paper. The FAA are really earning those taxpayer dollars they suck up, keeping us safe with entirely reasonable rules. They're true heroes.

I don’t know what they would charge you, but the title companies in OKC are the real experts and can probably get it walked through in a couple days. I lost the registration on the 182 and they were handling the sale on my Conquest, they got my registration and mailed it to me in less than a week.

Back