RE: Raising Boys

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life

This is an e-mail I received. I've not raised boys, but I have seen it done and I was one. Still am, some might say. They would not be wrong.

Happiness is something that comes into our lives through doors we don't even
remember leaving open.

This is so awesome

Subject: RAISING BOYS

a) For those who have grown children, this is hysterical.

b) For those who have children past this age, this is hilarious.

c) For those who have children this age, this is not funny.

d) For those who have children nearing this age, this is a warning.

e) For those who have not yet had children, this is birth control.

The following came from an anonymous mother in
Austin Texes

Things I've learned from my boys (honest and not kidding):

1.) A king size waterbed holds enough water to fill a 2000 sq. ft.
house 4 inches deep.

2.) If you spray hair spray on dust bunnies and run over them with
roller blades, they can ignite.

3.) A 3-year old boy's voice is louder than 200 adults in a crowded
restaurant.

4.) If you hook a dog leash over a ceiling fan, the motor is not
strong enough to rotate a 42 pound boy wearing Batman underwear and a
Superman cape.
It is strong enough, however, if tied to a paint can, to spread paint 20
on all four walls of a 20x20 ft. room.

5.) You should not throw baseballs up when the ceiling fan is on. When using
a ceiling fan as a bat, you have to throw the ball up a few times
before you get a hit. A ceiling fan can hit a baseball a long way.

6.) The glass in windows (even double-pane) doesn't stop a baseball
hit

7.) When you hear the toilet flush and the words uh oh,
it's already to late.

8.) Brake fluid mixed with Clorox makes smoke, and lots of it.

9) A six-year old boy can start a fire with a flint rock even though
36-year-old man says they can only do it in the movies.

10.) Certain Legos will pass through the digestive tract of a 4-year
old

11.) Play dough and microwave should not be used in the same sentence.

12.) Super glue is forever.

13.) No matter how much Jell-O you put in a swimming pool you still
can't walk on water.

14.) Pool filters do not like Jell-O.

15.) VCR's do not eject PB & J; sandwiches even though
TV commercials say they do

16.) Garbage bags do not make good parachutes.

17.) Marbles in gas tanks make lots of noise when driving.

18.) You probably DO NOT want to know what that odor is.

19.) Always look in the oven before you turn it on; plastic toys do
not like ovens.

20.) The fire department in Austin, TX has a 5-minute response time.

21.) The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earthworms dizzy.
It will, however, make cats dizzy. Cats throw up twice their body weight
when dizzy.

22.) 80% of women will pass this on to almost all of their friends,
with or without kids.

23.)80% of men who read this will try mixing the Clorox and brake
fluid.

Re: Raising Boys

And if they don't try #23, they sure as heck will think about it! :D

Ghery said:
And if they don't try #23, they sure as heck will think about it! :D

before I even got to the end, my brain says "Ooh, I have both clorox and brake fluid at home......"

SkyHog said:
before I even got to the end, my brain says "Ooh, I have both clorox and brake fluid at home......"

I GOTTA SEE THIS! here I go!:fcross:

Brake fluid and Clorox...sounds like a cool "project" for the cub scouts...hey you never know when they might be lost at the corner with the Laundromat and auto repair shop and need to signal someone.

Here some more you can add:
- Earthworms do not take well to being launched on the air or water powered rockets that you pump up to launch. Which means you may or may not launch them on an Estes rocket, depending on how you feel about earthworms.
- With enough brads, paper clips, electric tape and batteries two boys on the first floor can make enough smoke for their mother to smell on the second floor.
- If two boys can't make fire using steel and flint they will make fire using the candle their mother has lit in the powder room when guests are over.
- A two gallon plastic bucket of pine needles will melt when the pine needles are set on fire with a candle.
- Some fires can not be put out with the kitchen fire extinguisher.
- Two boys can build a tree stand in an apple tree in an hour using their Bob the Builder toolset and the scrap 2x4's & plywood in the shed.
- A Cub Scout whittling chip doesn't mean you won't be making a trip to the ER for some stitches.
- A Cub Scout closing their pocketknife wrong, cutting their hand and screaming at the exact same moment an adult chops a log with an ax is a sure way to activate a cub scout master's adrenal gland.

On the flip side, two boys can make you proud enough for your heart to burst.

Len

Ah, cub scouts.. did you know that glow sticks explode when you get them to close to a campfire? Did you know most young kids scream when body parts start glowing in the dark? Did you know that the kids in the other campsites scream when glowing cubbies run through their camps screaming about aliens??

Did anyone here actually try it? My results of the mixture were disapointing.

I tried a generic bleech and DOT3 fluid. I did about a 50/50 mixture. Perhaps a different mixture would work better.

What kind of bleech and brake fluid did you use? I just did some reading on the internet and it sounds like a powder form of clorox yields better results.

imQ said:
Ah, cub scouts.. did you know that glow sticks explode when you get them to close to a campfire? Did you know most young kids scream when body parts start glowing in the dark? Did you know that the kids in the other campsites scream when glowing cubbies run through their camps screaming about aliens??

No I did not know those things...but I can further test the theory at summer camp.

Len

jangell said:
Did anyone here actually try it? My results of the mixture were disapointing.

I tried a generic bleech and DOT3 fluid. I did about a 50/50 mixture. Perhaps a different mixture would work better.

What kind of bleech and brake fluid did you use? I just did some reading on the internet and it sounds like a powder form of clorox yields better results.
psstttt Urban legend don't let on. Here are some pics of it actually mixing.

http://www.anticlockwise.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=23471

Last edited:

Len Lanetti said:
No I did not know those things...but I can further test the theory at summer camp.

Len
Please let me know the results. Funny thing, my son was one of the original presenters of this "experiment". Now that he's a teenager and Star scout, he doesn't like this story as well. I still get tears in my eyes every time I remember the his glowing figure running across the campground.

None of those things apply to my boy. He's an angel, perfect in every way.

After all, he was only being helpful when he gave both the couch and the cat a haircut with his new scissors.

Vienna sausages fit well in certain sizes of PVC pipe.
The come pre lubed.
Add a little propane (butane, etc) and a bic lighter and they can fly a long way.

Don't ask how I know this, but have thought of adding a vienna sausage launcher to the hard points under my wing.

BTW, the math doesn't add up regarding the water bed.

NC Pilot said:
Vienna sausages fit well in certain sizes of PVC pipe.
The come pre lubed.
Add a little propane (butane, etc) and a bic lighter and they can fly a long way.

Don't ask how I know this, but have thought of adding a vienna sausage launcher to the hard points under my wing.

BTW, the math doesn't add up regarding the water bed.

I do know for a fact that it is not a good Mother's day gift to build a sink faucet to garden hose adapter to wash the floors in the kitchen. I also know that after about 10 minutes of high pressure washing the downstairs apartment will get about an inch of water in their kitchen from the hole that attaches to their light fixture.

Ahh to be 10 again!!!

Joe Williams said:
After all, he was only being helpful when he gave both the couch and the cat a haircut with his new scissors.

Ah...that's what little boys do best. Being helpful I mean. :D:D

Joe Williams said:

David and Karen (wife, mother) were working on an arts & crafts project when David was probably about 3ish...I guess David thought Karen's hair was getting in her eyes...a few quick snips took care of that.

It could be hereditary...many years ago there was a child that got into his father's barber tools, found a straight razor and was going to give another child a shave. Thankfully the only cuts were to the back of the hand of this particular child as he stropped the razor there getting it ready for the shave.

That same child once learned how friction generates heat from a large container of matchbooks and that you can play longer by using the hood of your sweatshirt to coagulate blood when you crack your head open.

Len

You can make napalm from gasoline and clothing detergent flakes. Just if you want another project to go along with the clorox and brake fluid.

Anthony said:
You can make napalm from gasoline and clothing detergent flakes. Just if you want another project to go along with the clorox and brake fluid.

Palmolive mixes better with the gas and then can be put into a balloon to be thrown at a fire while in Boy Scout camp. Please do not ask me how I know this ;);)

smigaldi said:
Palmolive mixes better with the gas and then can be put into a balloon to be thrown at a fire while in Boy Scout camp. Please do not ask me how I know this ;);)

Yes, I think I will wait until they are Boy Scouts for that one.

This reminded me of "An Officer and a Gentleman"....

Len

Lenny, we launched rolly poly bugs (sow bugs), earthworms, bees, and all manner of insects on our Estes rockets. We would make a 1" diameter mud ball, slice it half, carve out a hollow chamber inside, and let it dry in the sun until hard and then use wet mud to seal the two halves once the subject had been placed inside. This would become the specimen's space capsule and would be placed just below the nose cone. For multi stage rockets (purple engines were preferred) we would have a parachute for the capsule.

We'd eagerly slice open the capsule to see if they survived launch and/or re-entry. The deformation of the mud ball would tell the story.

Another thing we did was to take some of our model airplanes--mostly the worst of our efforts at model building--and borrow Mom's curtain strings to fly our birds round and round on a tether. The kitchen table leg pins were ideal for the proper weight for CG. Modeling glue and a match and take off and watch her burn in our recreation of the Marianas Turkey Shoot or the Battle of Britain.

Or connect all the garden hoses together to make one really long hose. With the water pressure at full blast this was ideal for tunnel boring down an ant colony. But the hose would get stuck and 150' of hose would be buried and would have to be dug out. Many a lawn was trashed.

Joe, we never lost our angel status by indulging ourselves in such boyhood antics. Although, I did come close when I lit a palm tree on fire just to watch it burn.

Oh yeah, we'd mix Ronson lighter fluid with petroleum grease and launch it out of a 3/4" diameter tube using a bottle rocket as propellant. This was our napalm for realistic effect when playing war.

And Mom never did figure out why her cans of hairspray were empty so quickly.

Last edited:

Did ya'll ever get a can of sterno and poke a hole in the lid and scoop out a small bit from the can, then stick an M80 in it? :lightning::lightning:

Richard said:
Lenny, we launched rolly poly bugs (sow bugs), earthworms, bees, and all manner of insects on our Estes rockets.

Insects? We used white mice, rats, etc in the payload section of our Estes rockets. Sometimes the parachute actually worked. :)

Frank Browne said:
Did ya'll ever get a can of sterno and poke a hole in the lid and scoop out a small bit from the can, then stick an M80 in it? :lightning::lightning:
A friend of mine (honest, it wasn't me) lived in the Pittsburgh area and he and bunch of other inventive folks decided it would be neat to fire ball bearings into the Ohio River. Using a railroad axle as a cannon they made some gun cotton and launched the first ball bearing. Hm, no splash. Probably needed more gun cotton - Second launch, same results - no splash. Then they heard the police sirens from the town across the river. Turns out the first had shattered the sign at the gas station and the second had gone through the wall of the second floor apartment behind the gas station. Fortunately no one was hurt.

All evidence disappeared fast into the scrap yard...

Anthony said:
Insects? We used white mice, rats, etc in the payload section of our Estes rockets. Sometimes the parachute actually worked. :)
Same here. Those D-sized rockets could really gain some serious altitude. Yeah right, an "egg" launcher. Whatever would fit.

Frank Browne said:
Did ya'll ever

This was not me...honest...and don't try this one at home...the kid up the street (nickname Boogie and not because he could dance, run or surf) used to make Drano bombs using soda bottles. Put in some water, some drano, hold close with finger, shake and toss. They would usually explode before hitting the ground, best to observe from a distance, from behind a wall or actually best if observed from inside. Anyway, one day his finger gets stuck in the mouth of the soda bottle and the thing goes off...open heart surgery to remove the glass from his chest. This was in the '60's, so consider the state of the art of open heart surgery. Anyway it saved his life, for awhile, I later heard he died from a drug OD.

Len

NC Pilot said:
A friend of mine (honest, it wasn't me) lived in the Pittsburgh area and he and bunch of other inventive folks decided it would be neat to fire ball bearings into the Ohio River. Using a railroad axle as a cannon they made some gun cotton and launched the first ball bearing. Hm, no splash.

That is really cool. In college, we used to have bottle rocket wars with the apartment building next to us. Not the little bottle rockets, but BIG rockets that exploded when the propellant expired. After shooting rockets and getting dissapointed with the accuracy, we got the great ideas to use a PVC pipe as a launcher, conceptually like a Bazooka. We'd aim it on our shoulder, like a Bazooka, and actually made a little sight on the side. Accuracy increased dramatically. :)

Oh yeah, and water balloons are very effective if placed in the freezer first.

Warning, don't launch one of these at a campus police car with one of those water balloon launchers. The resulting dent can be spectacular, or so I heard.

Dean said:
Anti-freeze and water softner crystals = BIG fire!

Amateur.

In college they had this crazy machine in the science building next to all the labs that you could get all sorts of interesting liquids out of...like oxygen.
Turns out that stuff is a pretty good oxidizer.

Anthony said:

Estes rocket engines and M-80's made for some mighty fine bottle rockets....

Filling 8-10 ballons with propane and tying them together with an M80 at the bottom then cruising around the neighborhood at night in the back of a Pinto with a cigarette to light the fuse before pushing the thing out the back can be pretty fun! Or so I've heard. ;)

Frank Browne said:
Filling 8-10 ballons with propane and tying them together with an M80 at the bottom then cruising around the neighborhood at night in the back of a Pinto with a cigarette to light the fuse before pushing the thing out the back can be pretty fun! Or so I've heard. ;)

I love when you guys talk about blowing up stuff. I'd be careful in a Pinto. Didn't they go up like a lighter if rear ended?

I'd also be carefull lighting the fuse and not lighting a ballon prematurely. ;)

Last edited:

Frank Browne said:
Right after 911 our neighbor would take dry cleaner bags and carefully position a pie plate beneath the open end, then soak a napkin with lighter fluid, light it and release it into the night sky. Made kind of an eerie sight rising into the night sky all glowing and all. Got to see lots of F-15's too for some reason.

Clustered estes engines and clustered multi stages. No parachute, just a leakproof container filled with as much camp fuel as could be lifted to altitude. Parachute deployment charge blows the bottom out of the container.
I was always really concerned about those going off course just after leaving the pad.

fgcason said:
Clustered estes engines and clustered multi stages. No parachute, just a leakproof container filled with as much camp fuel as could be lifted to altitude. Parachute deployment charge blows the bottom out of the container.
I was always really concerned about those going off course just after leaving the pad.
We used to use cardboard mailer tubes for 2, 3, even 4 stage rockets. Then my Dad got into the fun by designing his own rocket which was, of course, much larger than anything we had done before. He used a heavy cardboard tube from a roll of sheet vinyl flooring to make a 3 stage rocket. Dad cut it down to size but still the rocket stood almost 6' tall. Each stage had something like 10 E engines. We used a tv antenna pole for launch pad guidance. The mutha lit off, sat there for a bit just like a Saturn 5 and then started moving. We could already tell there was trouble as we crouched even lower behind our safety screen several yards away.

When I looked again it was about 50 agl and pointing towards the ground with a good burn on all engines. It tunneled into the ground to a depth of about 10" and remained stuck like that as each stage popped off and ignited. Finally, the last stage (the buried nose cone) ignited and fizzled. The whole rocket literally burst into a fireball, it was a total loss. It looked like an inverted Roman Candle. It was the funniest thing we ever saw; Dad never lived that down, we couldn't let that happen.

One of my brother's favorite rocket went off course on one flight. He was always fussing with the fins so maybe that's why when it got to about 400 agl it suddenly changed course to nearly horizontal and shot off towards town. Through the binoculars we saw a good chute so we had an idea where we might find it. About 2 miles down range we found it on the steep roof of a church held in place because the parachute snagged on a roof tile. We waited a week to see if it would free itself but it did not so my brother arranged with the pastor to clmb up to the roof and knock the rocket loose with a high pressure stream from a garden hose.

Last edited:
Back