Rats are eating my Car

I would love to, but don't have the talent required.

Ah, an idea person. :idea:

:) I try to know my limitations and mix it up a bit. Which is way better than taking advanced orders for a product that maybe can't be be built, or in the case of an airplane, get off the ground.

I have garages that are, of course, not rodentia proof. So I’ve taken to leaving all my hoods (bonnets, for my LBCs) open, and more recently added mothballs - no problems since. Think leaving the bonnets up was the major factor.

Mice and rats and squirrels - oh my!

Last edited:
Got a shorthair that catches rodents. Mice, squirrels, chipmunks. Set her off like you wouldn't believe. I've learned not to second guess when she's on point. I've had mice gnaw on bars of Irish spring.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220327-202050.png
    Screenshot_20220327-202050.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20220327-202106.png
    Screenshot_20220327-202106.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
A few years ago (Oct 2019) I posted a question about getting rid of rats and asked about an electronic device. I bought it and the problem has been solved since. And I don't have to worry about adding bait or removing dead rodents. They just stay away.
55753e15-a3c9-4c70-bcf8-7f3fed5079e1-jpeg.79630

Here's the thread. Go to post #37.
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...et-rid-of-rats-and-mice-in-a-t-hangar.122025/

I have a Cateerpillar Excavator that the mice must think it is a big piece of cheese. Tried rodent repellent, Green blocks of poison, mouse traps, sticky paper, peppermint. Still looking for a better sloution - has cost me nearly thousand dollars, maybe more haven't added it all up!

try mothballs.

It won't work for squirrels, but bucket traps usually work pretty well for mice. The sticky traps can work indoors, but if it's too cold they aren't sticky enough. For the excavator, if it has a cab I'd probably see if it is possible to seal the mice out. If it's wires, maybe try some way to armor them.

Local airport has been making some improvements . New segmented circle and lighted wind sock. Airport manager. Called and asked if I wanted the old one for my farm runway , "Sure" so I hooked up my car trailer to pickup and away I go.
When I got there they were moving all the vehicles out of the parking lot as they were replacing the parking lots fence also . Some folks leave cars in the lot so when they fly in they can have their own rig to go where ever. Most leave the a spare key in the office so if need be the vehicle can be moved. All but one started and was moved.
One vehicle , a 1990 Lincon Town car had not moved in 3 years . The vehicle had actually sunk into the pavement a couple inches , the air bag suspention was plum down . Bottom of car was almost on the pavement.
The factory mud flaps were on the pavement and bent out of shape . The owner, a fellow I know and owner of oil field drilling company , was there trying to start the car.
Hood up , service truck with jumper cables hooked up charging the battery . After a few minutes he tried starting it. No go , more charging . Just then I walked up to give him a hand . I decided we should have a look in air cleaner to see if mice had pluged it up . A few dead leaves had blown in there but filter was clean and no mouse damage. He tried again no fire . Gas gauge read 3/4 tank .I thought we should take another look see. Yup , I see the problem , 4 spark plug wires ate off at distributor. About 6" of each one completely gone . Closer inspection finds a half dozen other wires ate off distributer , engine controls , ? other things plastic , vacuum lines ate off, and who knows what else was a snack for the Cotton Tail Rabbits .
He looked at me , looked at my pickup and car trailer and said ,"you want a 'Lincoln "
Me ,"not really but I'll haul it home for you."
" No" he said , "my wife would kill me if she sees this in the yard , it's yours if you want it."
So that's how I came to have this body perfect , straight looking Lincon in front of my farm shop.
Only has just over 100,000 miles . Fun project to be my "Bingo Ladies Uber Service" car when Leigon Bingo starts up again this fall in Sweet Grass.
If I ever get all the wiring and vacuum hoses fixed .
Darn Rabbits .

Soy based wire insulation. Rodent food. Welcome to green.

I set traps in the car, death traps for rodents. I've had couple, but mostly if the car sits outside, but generally not an issue.

Happened to my 370Z in my driveway. Killed one cylinder overnight. $1500 of damage. USAA covered it less deductible. Now it’s in the garage.

Back