Rating Progressions....

georgewdean

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
George Dean
I trying to figure out how you guys/when you guys progress through the ratings...

PP ASEL first....

Get instrument

Build 250+ hours (a couple years perhaps??)

Then Commercial ASEL

Then CFI?? (although CFI liability seems to be a HUGE topic of discussion)

Ultimate goal = fly safely with my family and CFI perhaps... I've always been an instructor in something (like 20 years gymnastics coach and others fields as well)

Is this the right thinking??

Help guide me or point me the right direction...

Thanks
George

Last edited:
You've got it, although I don't think CFI liability is near the issue that some alarmists make it out to be. See the paper "FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR NEGLIGENCE: DOES THIS TIGER HAVE A TAIL?" by attorney G. Val Tollefson, at http://www.thecfi.com/Tiger by the Tail.pdf for more on that issue. If you stay current and proficient, train by the book, document properly, and have a good CFI insurance policy, the risk to your personal assets appears minimal to me.

There really isn't a 'right' progression - it's just whatever works out best for you.

The only 'requirement' is the time requirements for Commercial and some XC requirements for IR.

I knew several cropduster pilots that had their Comm but not IR, so they had a 'restricted' Comm certificate that kept them ?50nm? from their point of departure or something like that.

PP-> IR -> Comm -> CFI is a pretty common progression, though.

Since the topic's open, assuming one has PP-ASEl and IA (like I do), and I intend to get both Commmercial and Multi in the relatively immediate future, isn't the best sequence to do Comm first, then fly the Multi to Comm standards?

I trying to figure out how you guys/when you guys progress through the ratings...

PP ASEL first....

Get instrument

Then Commercial ASEL

Ultimate goal = fly safely with my family and CFI perhaps... I've always been an instructor in something (like 20 years gymnastics coach and others fields as well)

Thanks
George
That is the progression if your intention is to be an instructor. Not all of us want to be and will forgo the CFI. The CFI is more about how to teach than how to fly. In fact from what I have observed there is nothing new to learn in the way of flying except maybe finally doing a spin if you had not done one already.

Many people will progress PP, IA, CP, then go to Multi engine or glider, seaplane, etc. Like you I am an instructor in something other than flying. I am a Master Instructor for recreational scuba.I don't see myself having the additional time to take on flying students so I am not going to pursue a CFI at this time. Having that rating also incurs some extra hoops to stay instructor current.

Since the topic's open, assuming one has PP-ASEl and IA (like I do), and I intend to get both Commmercial and Multi in the relatively immediate future, isn't the best sequence to do Comm first, then fly the Multi to Comm standards?
Yes. If you get the multi at the Pvt level before the initial Comm, you'll have to take two multi rides (one each at Pvt and Comm levels) rather than one. The exception to that rule would be if you need to build ME PIC time, and have the opportunity to fly a lot of ME while building to 250. Then getting the ME as early as possible and doing all that time-building in a twin makes sense, although it also costs a lot of dollars. Dollars and sense, dollars and sense...

That's how I did it under 141... Had private and did instrument, commercial, and then took the multi ride for multi and instrument privileges. The multi ride just added some approaches to the basic VFR multiengine ride.

Yes. If you get the multi at the Pvt level before the initial Comm, you'll have to take two multi rides (one each at Pvt and Comm levels) rather than one. The exception to that rule would be if you need to build ME PIC time, and have the opportunity to fly a lot of ME while building to 250. Then getting the ME as early as possible and doing all that time-building in a twin makes sense, although it also costs a lot of dollars. Dollars and sense, dollars and sense...

Nothing says you have to do the Multi as Private and then Commercial - Spike could just take a single Commercial AMEL checkride, and then take a Commercial ASEL checkride to add that on.

Spike, in your case I'd go for the Comm-ASEL first. You have a complex bird so you should be able to get the Comm-ASEL quite easily. Then, add on the AMEL (The ride will be the same whichever way you do it, but the oral will probably be shorter for the AMEL ride if you have the Comm-ASEL first).

The main advantage to getting Comm-AMEL first is simply that you can then take your Comm-ASEL in a non-complex airplane. The main disadvantage is that you have to do the "solo" cross countries in the proper class, so if you do the Comm-AMEL first you would have to do a "solo" (probably supervised due to insurance) long cross country in the multi. More $$$.

This is what worked for me.
PP-glider; CP-glider; CFI-glider; PP-SEL; CP-SEL; CP-MEL; (ATP- not, due to SimCom screwup :frown3:)
Spike, since you have your own complex single like I do, the cheapest way by far is to get the commercial in your plane. Then go down to GKY and get the commercial multi add on for less than 2K including DE fee.

PP ASEL first....

Get instrument

Then Commercial ASEL

Thanks
George
That is the normal progression. I recommend getting the CFI even if you never intend to teach. Hubby is currently working his way through it and he is having to re-think and re-learn every part of what he went through before as a student. Now he is taking the time to analyze, evaluate, and EXPLAIN what he previously only needed to perform. It is quite an awakening experience.

Hubby has added this recommendation to you. "Take it one step at a time. Private Pilot is what you need right now. Instrument lets you fly when you WANT to. Instrument is a lot of work. Commercial wasn't that hard, it lets you learn better control of the aircraft. CFI is REALLY a LOT of work and it may not be worth it for you. By its very nature, it is the only certificate that you don't get just once."

Spike, the best way as an owner is to progress though all your ratings in WHAT YOU OWN, then do addons for the MEIs.

This is what worked for me.
PP-glider; CP-glider; CFI-glider; PP-SEL; CP-SEL; CP-MEL; (ATP- not, due to SimCom screwup :frown3:)
Spike, since you have your own complex single like I do, the cheapest way by far is to get the commercial in your plane. Then go down to GKY and get the commercial multi add on for less than 2K including DE fee.

Spike, the best way as an owner is to progress though all your ratings in WHAT YOU OWN, then do addons for the MEIs.

T'anks, guys.

This is what I intend to do, if'n I ever see my plane again!

(Actually, have working plan to go get it in a week).

I know two guys who got their multi at GKY, both flying jets now. Maybe it's a karma thing? :D

Back