Rash

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
I just had my gall bladder removed last Saturday and am recovering nicely at home.

This morning I developed a rash on my upper body, front and back. Had the wife apply lotion and this helps a lot but only last for about an hour.

Any ideas on what is causing this?

I finished taking my antibiotics yesterday, Augmentin, and only taking flo-max now.

If not better by in the morning I will go to the pharmacy and get a bottle of Calydril.

Anyway, is this normal after surgery?

Terry

I just had my gall bladder removed last Saturday and am recovering nicely at home.

This morning I developed a rash on my upper body, front and back. Had the wife apply lotion and this helps a lot but only last for about an hour.

I finished taking my antibiotics yesterday, Augmentin, and only taking flo-max now.

If not better by in the morning I will go to the pharmacy and get a bottle of Calydril.

Terry
Terry

You are experiencing an allergic reaction to something. Likely some medication you received is doing it. No, it is not normal after cholecystectomy. I presume your flo-max is a chronic med and as such an unlikely culprit. Are you taking pain meds new to you? Benadryl may be of help. If the rash is localized to your belly between chest and waist it could be a reaction to the sterilizing prep they used, but on your back as stated that would be unlikely.

Last edited:
Terry

You are experiencing an allergic reaction to something. Likely some medication you received is doing it. No, it is not normal after cholecystectomy. I presume your flo-max is a chronic med and as such an unlikely culprit. Are you taking pain meds new to you? Benadryl may be of help.

The flo max was given to me to get my bladder working after having a "clear" diet of three days. I am taking 1 tablet a day.

I did take 1 tablet Tuesday for pain. HYDROcodone-ACETAMINOPHN

I finished taking my antibiotic medicine yesterday. AMOX, generic for AUGMENTIN.

I have been eating light and did have some fresh peaches but I washed them before eating. I have ate peaches for years and no problem. Also yesterday I ate some watermelon.

Terry

Terry

It could have been the antibiotic but you have already finished taking that. I would think the Lortab is the most likely cause. HYDROcodone-ACETAMINOPHN is Lortab. When I took it I got blurry vision. It can cause a rash which can be severe. Presumably you had laparoscopic and not open cholecystectomy, your pain level should not be too bad by now. You might consider stopping the Lortab and converting over to just tylenol to see if your rash improves.

Terry

It could have been the antibiotic but you have already finished taking that. I would think the Lortab is the most likely cause. HYDROcodone-ACETAMINOPHN is Lortab. When I took it I got blurry vision. It can cause a rash which can be severe. Presumably you had laparoscopic and not open cholecystectomy, your pain level should not be too bad by now. You might consider stopping the Lortab and converting over to just tylenol to see if your rash improves.

Thanks.

I took just one tablet and don't need to take any more.

Terry

Many possibilities, including drug reaction, reaction to cleaning agents, or something else. To diagnose over the internet is probably not fair to you. I recommend you call your surgeon, unless it is getting better. The issue however if it is a drug reaction, you should find out which drug is causing it, because there is a chance if you take this medication again the allergic reaction may not be something as benign as a rash. So still would call your surgeon and probably you PCP.

I did take 1 tablet Tuesday for pain. HYDROcodone-ACETAMINOPHN

A rash is listed as one rare side effects of hydrocodone:

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-251...e=Hydrocodone-Acetaminophen+Oral&pagenumber=6

When I had my gallbladder removed I was also prescribed hydrocodone. It really made me nauseous. I finally stopped taking it and preferred the mild post-surgery pain to the nausea. It also was easier eating.

P.S. I also switched from BVDs to loose waist boxer shorts and found them easier on the lower torso.

Last edited:
Many possibilities, including drug reaction, reaction to cleaning agents, or something else. To diagnose over the internet is probably not fair to you. I recommend you call your surgeon, unless it is getting better. The issue however if it is a drug reaction, you should find out which drug is causing it, because there is a chance if you take this medication again the allergic reaction may not be something as benign as a rash. So still would call your surgeon and probably you PCP.

Thanks, if it isn't better by in the morning I will call.

Terry

Ran down to grocery store and bought a bottle of Calamine lotion. Much needed relief.

Thanks guys,

Terry

Went to emergency room at 2 am as rash went from bad to worse.
Dr. gave me steroid shot and he felt it was the Augment causing the problem.

Back home at 3 am and just fixed me a cup of tea and had the wife add more Caladryl.

Still pretty uncomfortable and may sleep in recliner tonight.

Will head to pharmacy tomorrow and pick up some Benedryl.
Terry

Went to emergency room at 2 am as rash went from bad to worse.
Dr. gave me steroid shot and he felt it was the Augment causing the problem.

Back home at 3 am and just fixed me a cup of tea and had the wife add more Caladryl.

Still pretty uncomfortable and may sleep in recliner tonight.

Will head to pharmacy tomorrow and pick up some Benedryl.
Terry
Terry
Antibiotics certainly can cause a rash but the only way to confirm that as the cause of this would be to get allergy testing. Anything short of that is speculation. I would discontinue the lortab just in case the assumption that the antibiotic was the cause is incorrect. Benadryl should also help.

It SOUNDS like an amoxicillin rash. You are describing more of a red spot rash vs hives?
IF it is an amoxicilling rash, no big deal. If it is an allergic reaction, more of an issue. Best to be seen to be sure.

Terry

Serously doubt it is the lortab. You should be fine taking it.
Terry
Antibiotics certainly can cause a rash but the only way to confirm that as the cause of this would be to get allergy testing. Anything short of that is speculation. I would discontinue the lortab just in case the assumption that the antibiotic was the cause is incorrect. Benadryl should also help.

Doubt it is the Lortab. Sounds like classic amoxicillin rash. Check with your PCP as your surgeon will most likely have no clue, no offense to surgeons. :)

Terry

Serously doubt it is the lortab. You should be fine taking it.

Got a steroid shot at the emergency room last night and finally fell asleep about 5 am. Also took 2 Benedryl tablets. (2am)

Much better this morning. Took a cool bath. Pharmacy opened and The wife went to the pharmacy and got some Benedryl tablets.

Went back to bed and was able to sleep two hours.

Doctor thinks it was the AUGMENTIN that caused the problem.

So, sitting in recliner with my IPAD hoping this afternoon I will be through this.

Terry

Terry,

This seems to be more than the simple rash, took some benedryl, and calamine lotion and no problema it went away. You should see your PCP and have this checked out. If it is a true drug reaction, you need to find out which drug it is, and avoid taking it in the future, as the next time it may not be as benign as an itching rash. While I agree with the previous poster your PCP is the better choice to diagnose this(though and no offense meant many surgeons are capable of figuring this out as well), you need to notify your surgeon as well, because it can be surgically related as well.

Doug

OMG, everyone is a doctor.

1. It is not related to the surgery.

2. Amoxicillin rash is occurs in 3-10% of patients, usually in children but occurs in adults as well. Knee jerk reaction is to call it an allergy when it is not. When it is misdiagnosed as an allergy it takes away some really good broad spectrum antibiotics.

3. I see this a couple times per month in my practice.

4. No offense to surgeons but they are the biggest culprit at misdiagnosing amox rash vs true allergic reaction.

Bottom line, it is impossible to diagnosis without actually seeing you. I'm glad you were seen. I see no reason to see anyone else for this unless you have further symptoms.
If it IS an amoxicillin rash, which it sounds like a classic case. There is no need to stop taking amoxicillin or to not use it in the future.

OMG, everyone is a doctor.

2. Amoxicillin rash is occurs in 3-10% of patients, usually in children but occurs in adults as well. Knee jerk reaction is to call it an allergy when it is not. When it is misdiagnosed as an allergy it takes away some really good broad spectrum antibiotics.

4. No offense to surgeons but they are the biggest culprit at misdiagnosing amox rash vs true allergic reaction.

Bottom line, it is impossible to diagnosis without actually seeing you. I'm glad you were seen. I see no reason to see anyone else for this unless you have further symptoms.
If it IS an amoxicillin rash, which it sounds like a classic case. There is no need to stop taking amoxicillin or to not use it in the future.

My PCP told me to tell the doctor in future events that I am allergic to AUGMENTIN.

It is much better today and seems to be better.

Thanks,
Terry

Augmentin IS amoxicillin with Clavulanate added to make it more effective against certain types of bacteria.

If it was a true allergic reaction, you may be allergic to either the amoxicillin or the clavulanate. Only way to tell is to be tested.

Augmentin IS amoxicillin with Clavulanate added to make it more effective against certain types of bacteria.

If it was a true allergic reaction, you may be allergic to either the amoxicillin or the clavulanate. Only way to tell is to be tested.

I understand.

Thanks for the information.

Terry

OMG, everyone is a doctor..
Some of the posters probably are. And at least they have the courage to say who they are.
Possibly(and probably) true, but without seeing the "rash" and Terry there is absolutely no way to know this, and so I would not be so brazen. In any case, the surgeon needs to know what is happening.

Statistically true, but again there is know way to know whether this is a true allergic reaction, a reaction to some topical used during surgery, a drug rash, cellulitis, or something else. I would propose that a bigger problem is not the misdiagnosis of the rash, but the overuse of really good broad spectrum antibiotics.

Check my computer database of physicians, and cannot find any doctor or physician extender with the name Unregistered, so cannot comment on what you may or may not see in your practice, but making diagnosis over the internet and treatment recommendations over the internet without seeing the patient in some jurisdictions would be considered the commencement of a doctor patient relationship, and thus my first recommendation of him seeing his PCP and his surgeon.

Not sure I have read the paper that shows this, but then again the biggest source of medical misinformation is probably the internet.

Here I agree with you, though you DID diagnose him, well sort of at least.

It seems his PCP feels you are wrong. I would go with what his PCP says, though maybe his PCP is a surgeon...

Toodles.

WOW, your feelings are really hurt. :)

OMG, so I posted before I signed in. LOL
Yep, I just have no courage.

No, pretty obvious it is not from a topical agent. I assume you mean betadine or hibiclens during the prep.
Also pretty obvious it is NOT a cellulitis.

No such thing as physician extender. Might want to check your references again. Very poor try at an insult.

Nowhere did I see where his PCP thought I was wrong. I don't remember diagnosing what it is. What I posted is accurate.

BTW, this is what I posted about it. [No good deed goes unpunished]
It SOUNDS like an amoxicillin rash. You are describing more of a red spot rash vs hives?
IF it is an amoxicilling rash, no big deal. If it is an allergic reaction, more of an issue. Best to be seen to be sure.

Some of the posters probably are. And at least they have the courage to say who they are

Statistically true, but again there is know way to know whether this is a true allergic reaction, a reaction to some topical used during surgery, a drug rash, cellulitis, or something else. I would propose that a bigger problem is not the misdiagnosis of the rash, but the overuse of really good broad spectrum antibiotics.

Check my computer database of physicians, and cannot find any doctor or physician extender with the name Unregistered, so cannot comment on what you may or may not see in your practice, but making diagnosis over the internet and treatment recommendations over the internet without seeing the patient in some jurisdictions would be considered the commencement of a doctor patient relationship, and thus my first recommendation of him seeing his PCP and his surgeon.

Not sure I have read the paper that shows this, but then again the biggest source of medical misinformation is probably the internet.

Here I agree with you, though you DID diagnose him, well sort of at least.

It seems his PCP feels you are wrong. I would go with what his PCP says, though maybe his PCP is a surgeon...

Toodles.

WOW, your feelings are really hurt. :)
No not really at all, just do not feel it is appropriate to slam surgeons in regards of their diagnostic abilities. As with any profession there is a range of abilities and just because someone does surgery does not mean they no longer have the ability to diagnose non surgical issues.

OMG, so I posted before I signed in. LOL
Yep, I just have no courage.
Sorry, did not know it was you.

No, pretty obvious it is not from a topical agent. I assume you mean betadine or hibiclens during the prep.
Also pretty obvious it is NOT a cellulitis.
Unfortunately, often what is described by a layman is very different than what the actual appearance is. So this is where I think diagnosing over the internet is probably not a good idea. If his description is accurate you are probably right as I said, but I would certainly not bet the farm on it.

No such thing as physician extender. Might want to check your references again. Very poor try at an insult.
Really? I guess I will tell my friends that are NP, and PA's that they do not exist. http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/physician+extender. No insult intended. Sorry.

Nowhere did I see where his PCP thought I was wrong. I don't remember diagnosing what it is. What I posted is accurate.

BTW, this is what I posted about it. [No good deed goes unpunished]
Thus why I said sort of...

My PCP told me to tell the doctor in future events that I am allergic to AUGMENTIN.

True.

In any case, I think this thread has outlived its usefulness and getting into the pettiness you and I are getting into is a waste of both of ours valuable time. There is no doubt in my mind you are good at what you do, I just find a lot of what is taken as fact on the internet in terms of medical advise is often more dangerous than helpful. Thus my original recommendation to see his surgeon and PCP. And I still think the surgeon needs to be involved.

Have a good day...toodles.

Last edited:
1. Not a "slam" to surgeons, more like a funny truthful joke. See the smily face? :)

2. I guess that is my choice. The same when I diagnose a UTI over the phone and prescribe antibiotics. My license, my malpractice, my choice.

3. NPs and PAs are NOT physician extenders. Sad excuse for an insult.
http://www.aanp.org/publications/position-statements-papers

ENA Position: ENA endorses the consensus statement issued by AANP on the use of terms such
as mid-level provider and physician extender.
Background: Nurse practitioners are licensed independent practitioners who practice in a
variety of settings and provide care to individuals, families, and groups. As licensed practitioners
they practice autonomously and in collaboration with other health care professionals. Since nurse
practitioners are independently licensed and their scope of practice is not designed to be
dependent on or an extension of care rendered by a physician, it is essential that the terms used to
describe individuals in this role be appropriate.

Use of Terms Such as Mid-Level Provider and Physician Extender
The American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) opposes use of terms such as “mid-level
provider” and “physician extender” in reference to nurse practitioners (NPs) individually or to an
aggregate inclusive of NPs. NPs are licensed, independent practitioners. AANP encourages employers,
policy-makers, health care professionals and other parties to refer to NPs by their title. When referring
to groups that include NPs, examples of appropriate terms include: independently licensed providers,
primary care providers, health care professionals and clinicians.
Terms such as “mid-level provider” and “physician extender” are inappropriate references to NPs. These
terms originated in bureaucracies and/or medical organizations; they are not interchangeable with
use of the NP title. They call into question the legitimacy of NPs to function as independently licensed
practitioners, according to their established scopes of practice. These terms further confuse the health
care consumers and the general public, as they are vague and are inaccurately used to refer to a wide
range of professions.
The term “mid-level provider” (mid-level provider, mid level provider, MLP) implies that the care
rendered by NPs is “less than” some other (unstated) higher standard. In fact, the standard of care for
patients treated by an NP is the same as that provided by a physician or other health care provider in
the same type of setting. NPs are independently licensed practitioners who provide high-quality and
cost-effective care equivalent to that of physicians.
The role was not developed and has not been
demonstrated to provide only “mid-level” care.
The term “physician extender” (physician-extender) originated in medicine and implies that the NP role
evolved to serve as an extension of physicians’ care. Instead, the NP role evolved in the mid-1960’s in
response to the recognition that nurses with advanced education and training were fully capable of
providing primary care and significantly enhancing access to high-quality and cost-effective health
care. While primary care remains the main focus of NP practice, the role has evolved over almost 45
years to include specialty and acute-care NP functions. NPs are independently licensed, and their scope
of practice is not designed to be dependent on or an extension of care rendered by a physician.
In addition to the terms cited above, other terms that should be avoided in reference to NPs include
“limited license providers,” “non-physician providers,” and “allied health providers.” These terms are
all vague and are not descriptive of NPs. The term “limited license provider” lacks meaning, in that all
independently licensed providers practice within the scope of practice defined by their regulatory
bodies. “Non-physician provider” is a term that lacks any specificity by aggregately including all health
care providers who are not licensed as an MD or DO; this term could refer to nursing assistants, physical
therapy aides, and any member of the health care team other than a physician. The term “allied health
provider” refers to a category that excludes both medicine and nursing and, therefore, is not relevant to
the NP role.
1. AANP (2013). Nurse practitioner cost-effectiveness. Austin, TX: AANP.
2. AANP (2013). Quality of nurse practitioner practice. Austin, TX: AANP.
For more information, visit aanp.org.
No not really at all, just do not feel it is appropriate to slam surgeons in regards of their diagnostic abilities.

Unfortunately, often what is described by a layman is very different than what the actual appearance is. So this is where I think diagnosing over the internet is probably not a good idea. If his description is accurate you are probably right as I said, but I would certainly not bet the farm on it.

Really? I guess I will tell my friends that are NP, and PA's that they do not exist. http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/physician+extender. No insult intended. Sorry.

Thus why I said sort of...

True.

In any case, I think this thread has outlived its usefulness and getting into the pettiness you and I are getting into is a waste of both of ours valuable time. There is no doubt in my mind you are good at what you do, I just find a lot of what is taken as fact on the internet in terms of medical advise is often more dangerous than helpful. Thus my original recommendation to see his surgeon and PCP. And I still think the surgeon needs to be involved.

Have a good day...toodles.

Last night was pretty tough but this morning and today is MUCH better.

Thanks everyone,

Terry

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back