Rare Cirrus VK-30 down

The number of VK30 still flying must be trending against 0.

Anyone else think that wing appears a bit too far aft?

Very sad. That looks like a really hard impact to separate the cabin like that. RIP to all involved.

NBC news is reporting that a 40 year old was the pilot, and 8 year old was among the victims. It appears that a portion of the wing may have been torn off due to high power lines (at least, the news is reporting this). Very sad.

NBC news is reporting that a 40 year old was the pilot, and 8 year old was among the victims. It appears that a portion of the wing may have been torn off due to high power lines (at least, the news is reporting this). Very sad.
horrible

RIP, Fair winds. Is that the VK-30 that was recently for sale?

I really, really hope this report is not true.

I'm pretty sure if Cirrus stuck with that design they Mooney would currently be the best-selling aircraft.

as ugly as it is I'm a little sad that as I understand it there is now only one left

The homebuilder's website post suggests it's not a production aircraft. Still, a sad outcome. RIP.

I thought all the VK-30s were kits that had to be assembled by the buyer. I didn't think there were any "production" versions?

Sucks and that’s the ugliest plane I’ve ever seen.

Seems better proportioned than the Cirrus jet. A bit ungainly looking on the ground with the tall gear, but I expect that is needed for prop clearance out back on rotation.

IMG_0338.JPG

Sucks and that’s the ugliest plane I’ve ever seen.

I think it looks awesome... except that ridiculous vertical stabilizer! It looks stuck on, literally straight out of the dime store balsa wood rubber band plane kit.

I have thought I might like one of these...

120830vtwin-top.jpg

http://www.velocityaircraft.com/index.html

It looks pretty in the air, gear retracted.

Nearly all planes do, but people keep insisting on "down and welded". Some try to console themselves with- "At least the third wheel is at the back!", but they don't fool anyone. Fixed gear taildraggers look gangly and awkward as they transit the air just like the fixed trikes do. ;)

I think it looks awesome... except that ridiculous vertical stabilizer! It looks stuck on, literally straight out of the dime store balsa wood rubber band plane kit.

The vertical stab is the only incongruous element. I'd bet they were constrained by not having much, if any, sweep on the trailing edge of the rudder due to the pusher prop. Still, they should have swept the leading edge a bit more (but that might have impacted the engine compartment). Compromises, compromises...

Yes, seems he hit power lines on the way down. They are mentioned, then visible in the pictures.

It may of be inadvertent, after he developed problems and was already going down, maybe not? He seemed to fly often and was very familiar with the craft.

I’d be interested to see how the power lines are set with terrain? How far from the airport, seems a ways? He should be very familiar with the area. Any known friends or relatives living in the area? Just some normal stuff to look into.

Nearly all planes do, but people keep insisting on "down and welded". Some try to console themselves with- "At least the third wheel is at the back!", but they don't fool anyone. Fixed gear taildraggers look gangly and awkward as they transit the air just like the fixed trikes do. ;)

But if you are inside of it, flying it, do you really care what it looks like to others on the outside in the air? Fixed gears look better on the ramp than retracts do with their gear doors and all. And on the ramp is where it is seen by you and also by others the most. Ramp presence, baby. That’s when looks matter.

Now go find a mechanic to straighten out that bent tail. :D

But if you are inside of it, flying it, do you really care what it looks like to others on the outside in the air?

True, I can't see the awesomeness from outside when I fly, but I can see and experience the awesomeness inside when I look at the airspeed indicator! ;)

The vertical stab is the only incongruous element. I'd bet they were constrained by not having much, if any, sweep on the trailing edge of the rudder due to the pusher prop. Still, they should have swept the leading edge a bit more (but that might have impacted the engine compartment). Compromises, compromises...

If it was a forced off field landing, it likely would have been tough as that airplane doesn't look like it lands at a slow speed. Too bad this particular Cirrus didn't have the 'chute.

Back