Dart

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iM a grandpa
This sucks. :sad:

Air Force jet crashes in California
Posted: 02:42 PM ET
WASHINGTON (CNN) — An Air Force F-22 crashed Wednesday near Edwards Air Force Base in California, Air Force officials said.
The single-seat fighter crashed about 10:30 a.m. (1:30 p.m. ET) for unknown reasons, the officials said.
The status of the pilot was unknown.

Well, like the first operational loss of a B-2, it was bound to happen eventually. Hope the pilot a) survived and b) has a good explanation for the Board.

"At $150 million apiece, the F-22A is the most expensive Air Force jet."

Haven't they heard of the B-2?

Are we sure it went down or is this another C17 report?
In that initial C17 report there was an official confirmation at first too. It was later redacted by the USAF and then CNN took back their report.

If it did go out I hope for a good outcome for the pilot and anyone on the ground.

Are we sure it went down or is this another C17 report?
In that initial C17 report there was an official confirmation at first too. It was later redacted by the USAF and then CNN took back their report.

If it did go out I hope for a good outcome for the pilot and anyone on the ground.

Several credible news sources are quoting Edwards on this. I think it's real.

For example:
Rescue crews were at the site in the afternoon but there was no information on the status of the pilot, Lt. Col. Karen Platt, an Air Force spokeswoman at the Pentagon said.

The crash occurred at 10 a.m., said Airman 1st Class William O'Brien, a spokesman at Edwards.

Well, like the first operational loss of a B-2, it was bound to happen eventually. Hope the pilot a) survived and b) has a good explanation for the Board.

There was a prior F-22 crash several years ago but I guess that was pre-operational.

There was a prior F-22 crash several years ago but I guess that was pre-operational.

An F-22 crashed at Nellis Air Force Base in December 2004. The pilot successfully ejected. All USAF F-22s were grounded for two weeks after the crash, but resumed operations after a review was completed.[99]

That was from Wiki

I just watched one of those perform at the Luke Air Force Base airshow last Saturday. What a shame and to loose a pilot is even worse. Bob

The fact that it was at Edwards and that it was a civilian LM test pilot suggests it was a test flight, probably nibbling at the edges of the envelope. When you do that, sometimes you get a street at Edwards named after you.

Back