Raptor Aircraft

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by Unit74, Nov 6, 2015.

1. painless

painless Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jeff Orear
    At least the Darkaero engineering method is more credible.

Tantalum likes this.
  2. Tantalum

Tantalum Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot
    The cool thing with DarkAero is that it's not haphazard and not driven from a source of "I think this; thus it must be right"

Their engineering methods seem much more "traditional" and based on science. They seem like a professional shop. I'm rooting for them.

Sierra_Hotel and Brad Smith like this.
  3. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    UngaWunga
    Perception is helluva thing, ain't it? Dark Aero could be a bunch of yahoos as well. Proof is in the pudding. Or the flying.

4. Racerx

Racerx Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ernie
    I wasn't trying to knock dark aero. Those boys seem smart with an actual engineering background. But at this point they don't really have anything to show for it. Are they youtuber's or kit manufacturers. Right now its the former. Also, the planform itself, not sure how successful it can be. I don't know what that market is. Even if I had the money for a kit it wouldn't fit my mission. But that's just me.

5. Katamarino

Katamarino Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Katamarino
    They have an almost completed, properly designed aircraft with a proven powerplant. They put out maybe one short video a week rather than a rambling mess every couple of days. They already have detailed build instructions, developed as they went along, and 100 deposits.

I'm pretty confident in their success.

6. Tantalum

Tantalum Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot
    ^yeah that

7. wanttaja

wanttaja En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ron Wanttaja
    upload_2021-4-9_16-25-43.png
    Ron Wanttaja

Lindberg and nauga like this.
  8. FormerHangie

FormerHangie En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    FormerHangie
    Their proposed empty weight and extremely optimistic performance claims give me pause. A 200 hp RV weights more than 1000 lbs and cruises at 210 mph. DarkAero claims their 200 hp, retractable gear airplane will weigh 750 pounds and cruise at 275 mph. It doesn't seem likely. At least they had the sense to choose a existing aero engine. Hopefully they will come up with a successful airplane, even if it doesn't meet these claims.

Datadriver and Sierra_Hotel like this.
  9. Sierra_Hotel

Sierra_Hotel Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Sierra_Hotel
    You mean they actually do engineering.

Tantalum likes this.
  10. Racerx

Racerx Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ernie
    Didn't peter have 1500 deposits? I have no doubt dar aero will eventually fly. Something I doubted Pete's would. Well, I thought Raptor would fly... briefly. Didn't think it would land. Dark aero had said previously flight testing would take place in 2020. They'll be lucky if they get it done this year. I'd be willing to bet they're much closer to target weight than Raptor, although that's not saying much. They weigh each part and are very methodical and deliberate. Is there a market for a fast, small 2 place? At their price point? Or will it be a swearingen?

11. Jeff767

Jeff767 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jeff767
    The RV series is built by production methods dating back almost 80 years. Most of the airframes are built to a +6/-3G standard and designed for relatively short runways. Dark Aero is using far more modern techniques and will not be aerobatic or nearly as capable on short runways. Lite well built RV4’s are often well under 1000 lbs. The 200hp IO360 has a dry weight around 330lbs. The UL engine 238 lbs.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    Rein Hart, Katamarino and Tantalum like this.
  12. 231TC

231TC Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    231TC
    Peter took a run down the runway today to get his cameras set up right for the next flight. At least his priorities are in order.

FancyG, jaxcessnadriver and Tantalum like this.
  13. midwestpa24

midwestpa24 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    midwestpa24
    I'm really curious. If Peter had not had the help early on that he ran off, who here thinks he would have ever gotten this far. I see people give him credit for actually designing and building the plane, but I'd guess if it wasn't for the engineers that got him started, even the flight test guys that walked away, he'd be no where close.

14. jaxcessnadriver

jaxcessnadriver Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    jaxcessnadriver
    Peter’s such a goon. Buys a salvage engine, doesn’t think to inspect it properly and it has a damaged pulley causing serpentine wear. That’s normal!

Attached Files:

15. Bender Aviation

Bender Aviation Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bender Aviation
    Only haters would point out such a thing :rolleyes: /s

jaxcessnadriver and Tantalum like this.
  16. FancyG

FancyG Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    FancyG
    What's the big worry with a 10 hour TBR?

Sierra_Hotel likes this.
  17. pilotrick

pilotrick Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    pilotrick
    Why does Peter always **** in my cereal??

Tantalum likes this.
  18. 455 Bravo Uniform

455 Bravo Uniform En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    455 Bravo Uniform
    Because you keep trying to follow his azz.

19. Sierra_Hotel

Sierra_Hotel Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Sierra_Hotel
    :lol:

20. wayne

wayne Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    wayne
    Glassair III? Of course, that's not sold anymore, so....

Now that the kids are grown the DarkAero would do for some of our flying. I'm not sure it has enough luggage space. We usually pack light, but sometimes bring stuff to the kids, or home. It wouldn't work for my Angel Flight missions though.

Wayne

21. kyleb

kyleb Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Drake the Outlaw
    Darkaero seems like a single point design. 2 people, XC, fast. I think the market for that is pretty limited, but I've been wrong plenty of times before. This is where the RV series fits a lot of missions. Formation, acro, short field, just putzing around, plus relatively fast with good range.

Brad Smith and TCABM like this.
  22. dans2992

dans2992 En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dans2992
    2 people XC, fast isn’t really a limited market.

I mean, that’s pretty much every Mooney, isn’t it? :)

david.h and SoonerAviator like this.
  23. A Martin

A Martin Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    A Martin

A leaf blower runs a blower-fan at high speed to move a lot of air ..... Peter decided to convert his to a vacuum to suck up the metal filings from his machine shop .... what a blunder ... that grit will destroy the impeller very quickly .... made my jaw drop watching the video.

A shop vac would be suitable because the impeller is behind a series of filters that protect the fan.

FancyG likes this.
  24. kyleb

kyleb Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Drake the Outlaw
    How's Mooney's business these days?

Wait... Too soon?

25. donjohnston

donjohnston Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Don
    You guys are mean. :D

david.h likes this.
  26. Racerx

Racerx Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ernie
    About on par with Bonanza sales...zero to 4 isn't that big of a leap.

dans2992 and FancyG like this.
  27. Racerx

Racerx Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ernie
    Was exactly my point. Very cool concept. Very cool build. But after the initial deposits is it a sustainable model? 750 pound useful load with 460lbs of max fuel. It's barely a 2 place. It's black with a canopy. Air conditioning? Probably not as they're weight conscious. Paint it white? Why name it dark aero?. She gonna get toasty. Cool project. Cool design. Well built, by real engineers. They've done actual testing with what they could test so far.. But it doesn't fit my mission at all. Would it fit yours? I'd like fast cross countries, but I like to bring people or the pup and some gear. Granted my pointer is only 37lbs. If there's another person, is there room for a flight bag?

28. midwestpa24

midwestpa24 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    midwestpa24
    Same mentality he has when it comes to the Raptor. Ignore the tried and true methods while "engineering" some work around that defies logic.

A Martin likes this.
  29. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    UngaWunga
    If they're successful, maybe their next plane design will be a little more useful. Much like how Vans started out.

30. SoonerAviator

SoonerAviator Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoonerAviator
    To be fair, I have a gas handheld Ryobi leaf blower that has an (awkward) attachment to turn it into a leaf vac. I've never used it once, but it was set up from the factory to do that. May have been a way to get people to chew up the impeller more quickly and buy a new unit, lol. I would also imagine that the shop vac is more effective at providing vacuum in a more directed fashion. Either way, the Raptor proves you "can't fix stupid."

A Martin likes this.
  31. DaleB

DaleB En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    DaleB
    I occasionally use my leaf blower as a blower, but it's spent much more of its life sucking up leaves and spitting the chopped up bits into bags. You can fit about 3 times as many leaves in a bag that way. It's a Toro that, like your Ryobi, was designed for that job with a 6" or so pickup tube that attaches to the intake for the impeller. Nothing has damaged the impeller so far -- of course I'm not sucking up metal bits, either, but I doubt aluminum shavings or chips would bother it much.

32. steingar

steingar Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    steingar
    The mission of the Dark Aero is the same as the early Lanceairs and the Glasairs. Small, fast, two people. Folks bough them and folks built them. I suspect the Dark Aero guys will do well if they can ever launch their crate. I'm really impressed with their operation and hope they make it. I definitely think there's a market for what they're selling.

Omalley1537 and Katamarino like this.
  33. Salty

Salty Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Salty
    There’s definitely a market for YouTube videos

Der Fliegermeister and Racerx like this.
  34. Racerx

Racerx Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ernie
    Putting down a deposit?

35. Tarheelpilot

Tarheelpilot En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tarheelpilot
    I thought they were out of business again.

36. SoonerAviator

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoonerAviator
    I don't bag leaves/yard debris because I have over a dozen trees on a 3/4 acre lot, lol. It would be a fruitless endeavor to bag anything. I haven't used the Ryobi in 3-4 years since I bought an Echo backpack blower that was better suited to moving the volume of leaves I was dealing with. I honestly need to sell the Ryobi for $25 to someone who has a use for it, as I've been staring at it in the corner of the workshop for years.

37. steingar

steingar Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    steingar
    I wish. I am not so overly endowed with coin.

38. DaleB

DaleB En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    DaleB
    We have two BIG maples, two smaller maples, and a few other odds & ends on our 1/3 acre lot. Lots of leaves. Last year I (way over)bought a riding mower. Shortly thereafter I bought a tow-behind yard sweeper. That cut about two days off of our leaf clearing operations. Now if only we could get away with a burn barrel. The City frowns on that, but who doesn't love the smell of leaves burning in the fall?

39. Matthew Rogers

Matthew Rogers Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Matt R
    Not to rain on your parade, but my commercial woodshop and many millions of wood and metalworking shops use dust collectors that use high speed impeller fans with a constant stream of wood (or aluminum and grinding dust from where my used collector came from) going through them for tens of thousands of hours. My used collector has groves worn in it from 20 years of abrasive dust in the aluminum foundry grinding operation, but I suspect that it will withstand a few thousand hours more of wood shavings and the occasional small tape measure (6"-8" collector pipe sucks up some interesting things - I have 10 seconds to get to eh shut off if I hear a tool bouncing through the lines!). It is true that when it decides to explode it may cause some damage (being a 20" diameter metal impeller at 3600 RPM), but it is located on the other side of the wall and not where people are except to empty the collector.

A Martin likes this.
  40. SoonerAviator

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoonerAviator
    Ours are all oak trees with a 60' Black Walnut and a 50' Southern Magnolia mixed in for good measure. I usually blow the leaves into one spot and transfer them onto a huge tarp to drag tothe back corner of the yard which normally makes a pile about 10'x12' and about 4' tall at the center. Takes all weekend to burn it down along with the other limbs/debris that get tossed into it. I usually have to do it twice a year (once in Fall and once in Spring). I'm seriously considering one of the tow behind Leaf Vacs to drag around behind the Kubota garden tractor to speed it up a bit. I love the shade from the trees, but man they make a mess from November to April (all year long for that Magnolia).