[rant]Salads named after Roman emperors, or lack thereof[/rant]

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
His name was spelled Caesar. They say it was pronounced Ceasar. But what do they know, they weren't around then. Sometimes you see the salad spelled Caesar. Sometimes you see it spelled Ceasar. I have always spelled it Ceasar. But, one could argue that the salad was not named after the Roman emperor at all.

Think about it.

It should be spelled Cesar. That's right. A pioneer for migrant farm worker's rights in the Central Valley of California. The City of Delano. Cesar Chavez. What do they grow there. Duh.

But this isn't about that. I don't care how you spell the salad. We all agree that the lettuce is spelled Romaine. It's sort of like a blend between the capitol of Italy and the northeastern United States. Why wouldn't you have Ceasar salad with your lobster and chowder. I would. But I can't now.

That's right. My worst fears came true. In the produce section of my now less than favorite store, was a sign placed where the Romaine lettuce used to be. They aren't carrying it anymore.

Yes, I get it, there were some bad batches of Romaine lettuce in certain states and some people got sick and some died. That is not a good thing. But, it's NOT A PROBLEM in California, to the best of my knowledge. This madness has to stop. Please tell me it's a temporary thing.

This is a slippery slope. Some people don't care enough about lettuce. What about when 'they' have an agenda about beef? Lobster? Chowder? Chicken? Turkey? Beans" (@steingar you are not safe from the fallout, you already took a hit on lettuce, see.) If cole slaw is next, I'm leaving the country.

Mods: I apologize in advance for upcoming thread lock that is bound to happen. I do not intend for this to be a political statement. I don't think it is a political issue. I think it is bigger than politics. We are allowed to rant about the FAA so whomever it is, and I don't exactly know who that is, is fair game. CDC? FDA? I dunno.

I'm just really angry and frustrated. Fo real.

I'm with ya brother. As long as you agree with these two points:

ALL Cesar Salads must have raw eggs and anchovies. Period.
ALL Cole Slaw must have horseradish. Period.

I'm going to go get some supplies to make my picket signs.

You just had to go and bring up migrant workers, didn’t you? :D

But, yeah the romaine thing sucks. I had a huge salad with romaine the day before the recall story broke but I guess my lettuce was fine. I didn’t get sick. Seems like they are operating out of an over abundance of caution. You’d think they’d have a better way of tracking these sort of things.

Agreed on the raw eggs and anchovies. It separates the real stuff from the Kraft. Horseradish in Cole Slaw? That never occurred to me, but I could probably roll with it. There is a notable BBQ place in San Francisco (ask @Everskyward) that has both mustard and habanero cole slaw.

If it's green it's trouble, if it's fried get double....

That was on the sign outside my favorite red neck restaurant where I grew up in Texas. Best chicken fried steak ever, made from real beef steak.

I was last there about 5 years ago and they had a new menu. It had designer salads, vegetarian meals and a coffee machine that made 38 kinds of fancy coffee. The chicken fried steak were no longer real beef steaks, instead they were oval shaped pieces of processed meat that comes frozen and in a box. The french fries were no longer real instead they came frozen in 50 pound plastic bags. And the home made sausage gravy came from a 5 gallon can...

I asked Ethyl, the cashier that has been working there since 1964, "What happened, Ethyl.??" Says I.

She looked at me and said, "We got a new owner, he comes from that yankee town up north....Dallas I believe its called'' and she just shook her head.... Even her bee hive hairdo was starting to lean over.

Please romaine calm! I am sure the FDA has bean working on a solution to this.
Try not to beet them up. I am sure they realize it wasn't a big dill but once leeked to media, they had to turnip the pressure to encourage action to justify their celerys.
Olive this will blow over soon. I guess what I yam saying is this will end as fast as it cropped up.

My kid's name is spelled the Latin way [ae]. We did it to appease both sides of the family tree. The Puerto Rico side can call him "Céh-sar" and the Oklahoma side can call him "Cee-sar". Both manage to spell it wrong on Xmas cards :D.

“ae” in Caesar pronounced as long e in the Ecclesiastical Roman Latin form.

Too many years of Latin in High School makes me a pedantic boor.

Carry on

His name was spelled Caesar. They say it was pronounced Ceasar. But what do they know, they weren't around then. Sometimes you see the salad spelled Caesar. Sometimes you see it spelled Ceasar. I have always spelled it Ceasar. But, one could argue that the salad was not named after the Roman emperor at all.

Think about it.

It should be spelled Cesar. That's right. A pioneer for migrant farm worker's rights in the Central Valley of California. The City of Delano. Cesar Chavez. What do they grow there. Duh.

But this isn't about that. I don't care how you spell the salad. We all agree that the lettuce is spelled Romaine. It's sort of like a blend between the capitol of Italy and the northeastern United States. Why wouldn't you have Ceasar salad with your lobster and chowder. I would. But I can't now.

That's right. My worst fears came true. In the produce section of my now less than favorite store, was a sign placed where the Romaine lettuce used to be. They aren't carrying it anymore.

Yes, I get it, there were some bad batches of Romaine lettuce in certain states and some people got sick and some died. That is not a good thing. But, it's NOT A PROBLEM in California, to the best of my knowledge. This madness has to stop. Please tell me it's a temporary thing.

This is a slippery slope. Some people don't care enough about lettuce. What about when 'they' have an agenda about beef? Lobster? Chowder? Chicken? Turkey? Beans" (@steingar you are not safe from the fallout, you already took a hit on lettuce, see.) If cole slaw is next, I'm leaving the country.

Mods: I apologize in advance for upcoming thread lock that is bound to happen. I do not intend for this to be a political statement. I don't think it is a political issue. I think it is bigger than politics. We are allowed to rant about the FAA so whomever it is, and I don't exactly know who that is, is fair game. CDC? FDA? I dunno.

I'm just really angry and frustrated. Fo real.

It's wasn't named for a Roman emperor, it was named for the restauranteur who created it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar_Cardini

@FormerHangie -- oh gawd. Next we'll be on about the earl of sandwich, Reuben sandwich, and the Waldorf salad.

[and for the record, the Waldorf salad is simply awful]

The last C[e][a]sar salad that I ate had bad anchovies. That's why it was the last.

I had a Caesar salad at a restaurant last night, made with Romaine, it was great..... {rumble} BURP....

Need to grow your own.

Not sure that’s legal.

You may need to get a prescription and buy from a state-licensed lettuce dispensary. You should probably go Basic Med first to avoid a deferral on your class 3. Check with Dr Lou or Dr Bruce.

Sorry Sac... looks like the issue IS linked to California:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...atest-romaine-lettuce-e-coli-outbreak-n939026

Maybe try the other lettuce varieties for now? Won’t be the same, but maybe with some celery for that “crispness”, it might come close to being a Ceasar salad?

Caesar isn't named for the Roman Emperor at all. It was named after Caesar Cardini, a restaurant owner in Tijuana who invented the salad in 1924 when the restaurant ran short of other dressings....Tijuana was a very popular destination during Prohibition. In any case, the dressing became a hit. At least that's the way Cardini's daughter tells the story.

I'll probably have a Ceasar salad tonight with dinner. Or maybe just cole slaw.

It's wasn't named for a Roman emperor, it was named for the restauranteur who created it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar_Cardini

Who's to say Mr. Cardini wasn't himself named after the Roman emperor?? Hmm?? Just sayin'....

Sorry Sac... looks like the issue IS linked to California:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...atest-romaine-lettuce-e-coli-outbreak-n939026

Maybe try the other lettuce varieties for now? Won’t be the same, but maybe with some celery for that “crispness”, it might come close to being a Ceasar salad?

I normally revert to cole slaw, however, I did order a side garden salad of mixed greens at the Habit Burger. I tried to order a side Ceasar but they told me they were not making them at this time. Then I saw the sign on the counter and felt like an idiot.

But hey, I was focused on Burger Girl, not the counter top.

Btw cole slaw will be in effect for tonight's 'bbq.' Which will actually be pulled pork made in the crock pot but shhhhhhhhh.

Young kid talking to the farmer: Romaine lettuce? I thought you said to plant Ptomaine lettuce!

Need to grow your own.

We can grow it here in late winter through spring. It won't grow in the cooler part of fall or winter, there's not enough sun. I suppose you could start it inside in September and grow it outside in October, but I've never tried.

Summer is too hot.

Apples, walnuts, and mayonnaise. ICK! Celery, grapes and lettuce are good things.

I don't like fruit in salads. It is too fruity. If I wanted fruit in a salad I would eat a fruit salad. I do not eat fruit salad.

I like walnuts and mayo, just not together. Grapes? Fermented to 14.5% alcohol sounds about right.

Is kale considered a lettuce? It is a bad thing. I tried kale once. Holy goat for carnal pleasures it was horrible.

I switched to butter lettuce. Delicious and more tender. I laughed out loud when I walked in to the local pizza place and read the sign” we are no longer serving romaine lettuce”. I had a hard time deciding if it was proclaiming it proudly or as a matter of factly

Butter lettuce has its place. It's not my very favorite but it works fairly well with lettuce wrapped burgers.

Please romaine calm! I am sure the FDA has bean working on a solution to this.
Try not to beet them up. I am sure they realize it wasn't a big dill but once leeked to media, they had to turnip the pressure to encourage action to justify their celerys.
Olive this will blow over soon. I guess what I yam saying is this will end as fast as it cropped up.
Bah dum tsssssss!

Back