Rant Printer ink

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by pmanton, May 17, 2018.

1. pmanton

pmanton Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    N1431A
    We have a Brother color laser printer. The printer takes 4 cartridges to fill it up. When you first get the printer you get "starter cartridges" which last a short time. Next you have the choice of regular or "high yield" (more expensive) cartridges. A refill is within a few bucks of $400.00

Since we do a lot of printing, we looked at after market toner. The color rendition was terrible so we are stuck with factory.

The cartridge uses a flag gear to alert the printer that it's empty. We quickly learned to reset the flag gear and run the cartridges through a second time.

I saved up spent cartridges with the idea of seeing if I could recover enough toner to refill a set .

I found there is a LOT of toner left in "empty" cartridges. There is NO physical difference between starter, regular or high yield cartridges. A starter cartridge lacks a flag gear, and the flag gear shape differs between the regular and high yield cartridges.

Bah humbug

2. John221us

John221us En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    John
    I have been pretty happy with after market in my HP.

3. Non Compos Mentis

Non Compos Mentis Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Non Compos Mentis
    Last time I needed a printer, I went to Costco, and looked at the ink.
    One type of ink was more plentiful and less expensive than all the others, so I bought a printer that used those cartridges.

172andyou and Zeldman like this.
  4. gkainz

gkainz Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Greg Kainz
    Just did the same, after going thru 3 or 4 disposable HPs that crapped out ... except went to Walmart and bought a $50 Epson.

5. Clark1961

Clark1961 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Display name:
    Was this a rant or a confession? So the author noticed that changing physical cartridge dimensions is not done when changing the contents of said cartridges. How else is a machine supposed to work? At any rate, the rant part of this rant was missing. Red card to the ranter and moving on.

6. Let'sgoflying!

Let'sgoflying! Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Taylor
    currently 6 printers, years of using reman'd or serviced inkn cartridges or toner (inkjet and laser) off ebay various suppliers, and probably 90% success. I also refill. I probably could not have bought an airplane if I had bought new supplies all these years.
    Yes I get black fingers from time to time.

7. rwellner98

rwellner98 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    rw2
    Here's what you want: https://www.amazon.com/Epson-Expres...TF8&qid=1526598210&sr=8-4&keywords=epson+l210

Y
    es, it's expensive. That's because the ink doesn't subsidize the printer. I have two of the previous model. Love them.

"Includes enough ink to print up to 4,000 pages black/6,500 color (2) — equivalent to about 20 ink cartridge sets (3)

Save up to 80 percent on ink with low-cost replacement bottles (4) — plus easy-to-fill, supersized ink tanks"

8. asicer

asicer En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    asicer
    Additional penalty assessed for not understanding the difference between ink and toner.

9. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Seems like an excellent use of a Dremel tool to strip the flag gear. LOL.

10. deonb

deonb Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    deonb
    Also from that page:
    “INK NOT INCLUDED”

Mmm...