Random Trivia

If a table is very wobbly don't put a match book or coasters under the "shorter" leg. Turn the table 90 degrees at a time until it doesn't wobble any more. It's simple mathematics.

Or get on the floor and adjust the legs

To calculate the required rate of climb for a specific climb gradient, divide the climb gradient by 60 then multiply the result by your estimated groundspeed. For example: A climb gradient of 300 feet per nautical mile, divided by 60 equals 5.

5 times the groundspeed (90) equals 450---the required rate of climb, expressed in feet per minute.

But if you're left brained then just do the real math! :)

Last edited:
It is actually a myth that you can see The Great Wall of China from space.
It's not true.

Arkansas has six bordering states and you can drive South into all of them.

It is actually a myth that you can see The Great Wall of China from space.
It's not true.
I always had my doubts about that. And the claim that it is the only manmade structure visible from space, umm sure, what about reservoirs? Nobody ever counts those.:D

Shirley Temple's signature tune "On the Good Ship Lollypop" is not about a boat. Without Googling, can you guess what it is about?

Shirley Temple's signature tune "On the Good Ship Lollypop" is not about a boat. Without Googling, can you guess what it is about?

Since no one else took a guess. Hmmm... Let me see, we are on an aviation forum, maybe something to do with an airplane?

Its easier to peel a banana from the bottom than the top (stem).

So simple, even monkeys know it...:goofy: only took me 40 years to figure out...:dunno:

DC-3
usy2uqan.jpg

Another useful tip with bananas is to pre-slice them in the peel using a pin (push the pin in the unpeeled banana near the top then rotate left and right to slice it below the skin, pull out and repeat all the way down the banana). Then when you peel it you have the slices ready to go. Useful if providing bananas to people with no front teef.

Got another neat food one I dun learnt recently.
Cook corn on the grill right in the husk (soak or rinse with water first) then chop the stalk end off about 1" back to expose a full diametrical cut through and grab by the top squeezing the corn right out. (Careful its hot, I use dish towel).

No strings and no peeling, just a corn plop right on the plate.

In the movie, it's a DC-2

http://www.reelclassics.com/Actresses/Shirley/goodship-lyrics.htm

I've thrown away my toys
Even my drum and train.
I wanna make some noise
With real live aeroplanes.

Some day I'm going to fly.
I'll be a pilot too.
And when I do, how would you
Like to be my crew...

On the good ship lollipop.
Its a sweet trip to a candy shop
Where bon-bons play
On the sunny beach of Peppermint Bay.

Lemonade stands everywhere.
Crackerjack bands fill the air.
And there you are
Happy landing on a chocolate bar.

See the sugar bowl do the tootsie roll
With the big bad devils food cake.
If you eat too much ooh ooh
You'll awake with a tummy ache.

On the good ship lollipop
Its a night trip into bed you hop
And dream away
On the good ship lollipop.

Did you know that there is no x in "expresso?" For real, it's spelled "espresso". I just learned that tidbit last week. I'm not sure I can even pronounce it without the x.

Did you know that there is no x in "expresso?" For real, it's spelled "espresso". I just learned that tidbit last week. I'm not sure I can even pronounce it without the x.

Seriously? Learned it last week? You never read the word before in a coffee shop or in the grocery store? How did you learn, did you axe someone?

It's been almost an hour. Someone should go check on Bryan.

:)

Seriously? Learned it last week? You never read the word before in a coffee shop or in the grocery store? How did you learn, did you axe someone?

I ain't know, so I ain't axed. I was ranting it up on the Purple Board and referenced an expresso (pardon me, "espresso") drink, and someone called me on it. I actually had to look it up to verify.

It's one of those mental block things. I'm sure I've seen it written literally hundreds of thousands of times, but it just never connected.

There's a barbershop quartet in my shoe. There used to be toes in there but now but now but now its just monty python playing drums made out of pasta and singing from a hole right beneath the annoying receptionist lady from ghostbusters. And my sweat won't shutup.

I can't feel my music.

There's a barbershop quartet in my shoe. There used to be toes in there but now but now but now its just monty python playing drums made out of pasta and singing from a hole right beneath the annoying receptionist lady from ghostbusters. And my sweat won't shutup.

I can't feel my music.

What color is the music?

A similar trick works for restaurant tips. Drop the last digit from the total bill and double what's left. That's the tip.

$50 total bill...$5 x 2 = $10 tip. (20%)

Unless your a cheapass (or got less than stellar service).

Then drop the last digit from the bill, take the remaining number and 1/2 of that remaining number, add them together. That's the tip.

$50 total bill... $5 + $2.50 = $7.50 tip (15%)

Indeed! I'm a firm believer that everyone should wait tables at least once in their life....it will give you a true appreciation for the level of s%^&t they have to deal with..

I ain't know, so I ain't axed. I was ranting it up on the Purple Board and referenced an expresso (pardon me, "espresso") drink, and someone called me on it. I actually had to look it up to verify.

It's one of those mental block things. I'm sure I've seen it written literally hundreds of thousands of times, but it just never connected.

when I was young I had never heard or seen the name Colin. I was reading a person's name on some paper they had filled out and I was like "Colin?" but pronounced it like "colon" (see the difference there?). they said, uh, no, Colin, like "Callin". :dunno:

I used to pronounce it that way too, until my husband explained it to me. And by explained, I mean made fun of me for mispronouncing it.

Indeed! I'm a firm believer that everyone should wait tables at least once in their life....it will give you a true appreciation for the level of s%^&t they have to deal with..

...and/or work retail.

Here's a slightly complicated one that you can use to "validate" a credit card number. Also applies to some account #s.

This can be done in your head but it's easier if you write the card # and intermediate values of the checksum value on a piece of paper first (put each new checksum value under the card # digit that was just factored in).

All of the following additions are performed Modulus 10. IOW keep only the least significant digit of any sum. The goal is to calculate a single digit checksum which will be zero if the original number was "valid". Of course in this case "valid" only means the number could be a real one but if the checksum isn't zero the number is definitely bogus or incorrect.

Start by setting the checksum to zero. Add the rightmost digit to the checksum. Double the second digit from the right and if the doubled value greater than 9 increase the (doubled) value by 1. Add this to the checksum (mod 10). Repeat these two steps for all the remaining pairs of digits in the original number.

If the final value of the checksum is zero the number checks out.

Using 52 36 10 84 17 38 44 07 as an example:

Step
1: 7 (right most digit) + 0 (initial checksum) = 7; 7 mod 10 = 7 (new checksum).
2: 0 (2nd digit) * 2 = 0; 0 < 10 so add 0 to checksum: (0 + 7) mod 10 = 7 (new checksum).

3: 4 (3rd digit) + 7 (checksum) = 11; 11 mod 10 = 1 (new checksum).
4: 4 (4th digit) * 2 = 8; 8 < 10 so add 8 to checksum: (8 + 1) mod 10 = 9 (new checksum).

5: 8 (5rd digit) + 9 (checksum) = 17; 17 mod 10 = 7 (new checksum).
6: 3 (6th digit) * 2 = 6; 6 < 10 so add 6 to checksum: (6 + 7) mod 10 = 3 (new checksum).

7: 7 (7th digit) + 3 (checksum) = 10; 10 mod 10 = 0 (new checksum).
8: 1 (8th digit) * 2 = 2; 2 < 10 so add 2 to checksum: (2 + 0) mod 10 = 2 (new checksum).
Using 52 36 10 84 17 38 44 07 as an example:

9: 4 (9th digit) + 2 (checksum) = 6; 6 mod 10 = 6 (new checksum).
10: 8 (10th digit) * 2 = 16; 16 > 9 so add 16+1 to checksum: (16 + 1 + 6) mod 10 = 3 (new checksum).

11: 0 (11th digit) + 3 (checksum) = 3; 3 mod 10 = 3 (new checksum).
12: 1 (12th digit) * 2 = 2; 2 < 10 so add 2 to checksum: (2 + 3) mod 10 = 5 (new checksum).

13: 6 (13th digit) + 5 (checksum) = 11; 11 mod 10 = 1 (new checksum).
14: 3 (14th digit) * 2 = 6; 6 < 10 so add 6 to checksum: (6 + 1) mod 10 = 7 (new checksum).

15: 2 (15th digit) + 7 (checksum) = 9; 9 mod 10 = 9 (new checksum).
16: 5 (16th digit) * 2 = 10; 10 > 9 so add 10+1 to checksum: (10 + 1 + 9) mod 10 = 0 (final checksum).

You can do this in your head once you've done it on paper a couple times because you never have to remember more than two single digits in addition to which position of the original number you're working on.

Back