Random Trivia

Multiplication sequence for number '9':

Place both hands palm down on the table, fingers and thumb outspread. Index your fingers and thumbs from left pinky to right pinky numbered as 1, 2, 3, 4... 10. Fold down the left pinky representing 9 X 1(pinky representing the 1). Fingers remaining out is the product of 9 X 1 = 9. For each multiplication factor, fold down the appropriate digit. The fingers remaining to the LEFT of the folded finger represents the first digit of the product and the fingers remaining on the right side of the folded finger represents the second digit of the product. Example: 6 X 9. Fold down the right thumb(index six from left to right). Now, the first digit of the product is 5, all fingers of the left hand. Second digit of the product is 4, fingers remaining up on the right hand. Works all the way to 9 x 10(right pinky), = 90 (digits left of the index, and digits(zero) right of the index).

Little trick if you're felling a tree and you want to know how it will land ...

Back off and take a string and hold it straight up and down with the bottom of the string sighted on the base of the tree between two fingers. Pull string taught and sight it with the top of the tree with your other hand.

Now keeping the string sighted at the base of the tree with the one hand, lay your top hand (string) over to the ground. This is where the top of the tree will extend to when it falls. :)

I used to pronounce it that way too, until my husband explained it to me. And by explained, I mean made fun of me for mispronouncing it.

But the problem is I've never HEARD anybody pronounce it as "espresso" other than, maybe, in this scenario:

"I want ized mocha with esstra shot of espresso."

"Okay our iced mochas come with two shots of expresso, you want a third?"

"Eets okay, two shots espresso enough. You takes American Esspress?"

But the problem is I've never HEARD anybody pronounce it as "espresso" other than, maybe, in this scenario:

That's because you live in the home of Ebonics.:rofl:

Just re read as speedy Gonzales.
better.

I read it with a bad Italian accent.

"I wanna issa mocha witha esstra shot espresssssssso.

"Itsa okay, two shotsa espresso enough, capiche."

I use my knuckles to tell whether it's a 30 day (or 28 day) or 31 day month. Just the fingers not the thumb. Start on either end with January. A knuckle is a long month, the space between a knuckle is a short month. Just remember to count twice at the end for July and August and then go back the opposite way. Easier for me than remembering that poem.

Standard metric pipe sizes past 100 mm (4 inch) are in 50 mm increments, which are conveniently close to their inch counterparts (well except for 5 inch which is a bastard size anyway.)

Okay, this is a "life hack."

Background: I like to have a cup of coffee in the morning, and there is a grocery store next to my gym that does coffee (Hint: I'm not a fan of Starbucks.) They used to have Java City, which I liked, but then they switched to Peets, which is horrid bitter. So bad that the only way I could drink it is in the form of expresso (excuse, me, "espresso") in a latte.

I don't like hot coffee, at least not blazing hot coffee, so if isn't an iced latte, I put a few cubes in to cool it down enough to drink. Well I decided a couple days ago to try an iced coffee. I wanted an iced drink, but not a latte.

"Gimme a large iced coffee." The iced coffee sizes, for whatever reason, are smaller than the iced mocha/latte sizes. Well I'll tell you what - it was STRONG. I don't mean any stronger in taste, but it had a different, less bitter taste than the fresh brewed coffee and it was WAY TOO MUCH CAFFEINE!

I think I'm on to something here. Next day I tried a medium. Taste was fine, as drinkable as a latte. STILL too much caffeine. This morning I ordered a small, which was just about right. And it was half the price of a latte.

I ask the coffee girl what they used to brew the iced coffee, and she said it was the same stuff as normal coffee but just brewed stronger. Anyway, so, if you need a jolt, forget the expresso (excuse me, "espresso") and go for the iced coffee. Much cheaper solution.

Little trick if you're felling a tree and you want to know how it will land ...

Back off and take a string and hold it straight up and down with the bottom of the string sighted on the base of the tree between two fingers. Pull string taught and sight it with the top of the tree with your other hand.

Now keeping the string sighted at the base of the tree with the one hand, lay your top hand (string) over to the ground. This is where the top of the tree will extend to when it falls. :)

...all the while holding the running chain saw between your knees.

Taught to me by a man named Shorty.

Way late to the party but here is a cool piece of useless information.

Credit cards starting #'s tell you the issuer:

3=Amex
4=VISA
5=MC
6=Discover

Here's a slightly complicated one that you can use to "validate" a credit card number. Also applies to some account #s.

This can be done in your head but it's easier if you write the card # and intermediate values of the checksum value on a piece of paper first (put each new checksum value under the card # digit that was just factored in).

All of the following additions are performed Modulus 10. IOW keep only the least significant digit of any sum. The goal is to calculate a single digit checksum which will be zero if the original number was "valid". Of course in this case "valid" only means the number could be a real one but if the checksum isn't zero the number is definitely bogus or incorrect.

Start by setting the checksum to zero. Add the rightmost digit to the checksum. Double the second digit from the right and if the doubled value greater than 9 increase the (doubled) value by 1. Add this to the checksum (mod 10). Repeat these two steps for all the remaining pairs of digits in the original number.

If the final value of the checksum is zero the number checks out.

Using 52 36 10 84 17 38 44 07 as an example:

Step
1: 7 (right most digit) + 0 (initial checksum) = 7; 7 mod 10 = 7 (new checksum).
2: 0 (2nd digit) * 2 = 0; 0 < 10 so add 0 to checksum: (0 + 7) mod 10 = 7 (new checksum).

3: 4 (3rd digit) + 7 (checksum) = 11; 11 mod 10 = 1 (new checksum).
4: 4 (4th digit) * 2 = 8; 8 < 10 so add 8 to checksum: (8 + 1) mod 10 = 9 (new checksum).

5: 8 (5rd digit) + 9 (checksum) = 17; 17 mod 10 = 7 (new checksum).
6: 3 (6th digit) * 2 = 6; 6 < 10 so add 6 to checksum: (6 + 7) mod 10 = 3 (new checksum).

7: 7 (7th digit) + 3 (checksum) = 10; 10 mod 10 = 0 (new checksum).
8: 1 (8th digit) * 2 = 2; 2 < 10 so add 2 to checksum: (2 + 0) mod 10 = 2 (new checksum).
Using 52 36 10 84 17 38 44 07 as an example:

9: 4 (9th digit) + 2 (checksum) = 6; 6 mod 10 = 6 (new checksum).
10: 8 (10th digit) * 2 = 16; 16 > 9 so add 16+1 to checksum: (16 + 1 + 6) mod 10 = 3 (new checksum).

11: 0 (11th digit) + 3 (checksum) = 3; 3 mod 10 = 3 (new checksum).
12: 1 (12th digit) * 2 = 2; 2 < 10 so add 2 to checksum: (2 + 3) mod 10 = 5 (new checksum).

13: 6 (13th digit) + 5 (checksum) = 11; 11 mod 10 = 1 (new checksum).
14: 3 (14th digit) * 2 = 6; 6 < 10 so add 6 to checksum: (6 + 1) mod 10 = 7 (new checksum).

15: 2 (15th digit) + 7 (checksum) = 9; 9 mod 10 = 9 (new checksum).
16: 5 (16th digit) * 2 = 10; 10 > 9 so add 10+1 to checksum: (10 + 1 + 9) mod 10 = 0 (final checksum).

You can do this in your head once you've done it on paper a couple times because you never have to remember more than two single digits in addition to which position of the original number you're working on.

I don't understand, I assumed credit card and bank account numbers were either issued sequentially or at random. This is not so?

Okay, this is a "life hack."

Background: I like to have a cup of coffee in the morning, and there is a grocery store next to my gym that does coffee (Hint: I'm not a fan of Starbucks.) They used to have Java City, which I liked, but then they switched to Peets, which is horrid bitter. So bad that the only way I could drink it is in the form of expresso (excuse, me, "espresso") in a latte.

I don't like hot coffee, at least not blazing hot coffee, so if isn't an iced latte, I put a few cubes in to cool it down enough to drink. Well I decided a couple days ago to try an iced coffee. I wanted an iced drink, but not a latte.

"Gimme a large iced coffee." The iced coffee sizes, for whatever reason, are smaller than the iced mocha/latte sizes. Well I'll tell you what - it was STRONG. I don't mean any stronger in taste, but it had a different, less bitter taste than the fresh brewed coffee and it was WAY TOO MUCH CAFFEINE!

I think I'm on to something here. Next day I tried a medium. Taste was fine, as drinkable as a latte. STILL too much caffeine. This morning I ordered a small, which was just about right. And it was half the price of a latte.

I ask the coffee girl what they used to brew the iced coffee, and she said it was the same stuff as normal coffee but just brewed stronger. Anyway, so, if you need a jolt, forget the expresso (excuse me, "espresso") and go for the iced coffee. Much cheaper solution.

Screwing up once is excusable, to continue to do so shows you're not particularly bright.

siht I thought it was eggspresso.
I've probably been making it wrong.

Well bro's attacking me for no apparent reason! I didn't pee in his Wheaties!

Back