Random Acts Of Kindness

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
I am a true believer in karma and "what goes around comes around". I'm a "glass is half full" kinda guy. :D

Yesterday, I was standing in line at a convenience store to buy a cup of coffee. There was a young guy in front of me paying for his stuff that had held the door open for me just a few minutes before. His total was $4 so I told the clerk I'm paying for his stuff and mine as I explained why. The young man was stunned, and we all laughed about random acts of kindness....then the clerk said "Your coffee is on the house." :D

A week ago I was driving though the drive in at BK and saw 4 uniformed soldiers walking in for lunch. I told the "speaker chick" I wanted to buy their lunch. She said they were very grateful. I told her to tell them they can do the same for someone else in uniform 40 years from now. :D

A 24 year old NY City cop bought a homeless guy socks and shoes when he found him barefooted in an alley. That was a nice thing to do, no matter what the guys problems were, he needed help.

What random acts of kindness have you done or heard about someone doing?

Maybe with this season of giving you will see an opportunity to make someone's day. It's kinda fun. Might as well be good to each other. :dunno:

Last edited:
I signed a guy off for his Private checkride yesterday. Thankfully, he passed.

That was really nice of you, OP, to buy those soldiers BK.

Not too many people these days are as nice as they should be. I am patient and polite in every interaction and it usually pays off. Being a jerk all day will get you nowhere.

Okay, this thread needs a little life, so I decided to add another good deed by Geico. :rolleyes:

Yesterday, the doorbell rang and it was the 9 year old neighbor boy looking for work.:eek:

They just bought a house around the corner and I met his folks and him, as I stopped by to introduce myself. I'm a friendly guy! :D

He had walked 1/2 mile over to my house through a field with a wheel barrow, shovel and rake. He never had been there before. Actually, I had some dirt work to do so we spent 3 hours hauling black dirt to fill in low spots around the house and watering them in so they settle. I think I have a friend for life! Or until he discovers girls. ;)

I paid him $5, and he didn't want to take it. I told him; "Let me give you a piece of advice.... never work for free." :no:

I wonder if that boy can run lawn mower? :dunno:

Last edited:
Okay, this thread needs a little life, so I decided to add another good deed by Geico. :rolleyes:

The doorbell rang and it was the 9 her old neighbor boy looking for work.:eek:

They just bought a house around the corner and I met his folks and him, as I stopped by to introduce myself. I'm a friendly guy! :D

He had walked 1/2 mile over to my house through a field with a wheel barrow, shovel and rake. He never had been there before. Actually, I had some dirt work to do so we spent 3 hours hauling black dirt to fill in low spots around the house and watering them in so they settle. I think I have a friend for life! Or until he discovers girls. ;)

I paid him $5, and he didn't want to take it. I told him; "Let me give you a piece of advice.... never work for free." :no:

I wonder if that boy can run lawn mower? :dunno:

Or clean the belly on a RV-10..:dunno:;)

I was going into Publix the other day and there was a really skinny chick wearing an FSU jersey collecting for the Salvation Army. I am a Ga. Tech graduate, so we don't usually have much nice to say to or about "Free Shoes University". But it was really cold and she looked miserable as she rang her bell by her kettle. I thought what the heck, so I opened my billfold intending to pull out a couple of $1s. but all I had was a couple of $20s. So I said "what the heck, and put a 20 dollar bill in her kettle. And I told her to change jerseys.

Yesterday I was stopped at a stoplight and there was a miserable looking fellow sitting on a bus-stop bench next to a trash can. He had a piece of news paper on the bench which he was using to catch the unburnt tobacco from used cigarette butts that he was breaking open. I rolled down the window and gave him a ten dollar bill and told him to go buy a pack of smokes, and some breakfast. He looked like he hadn't eaten in days.

Several months ago I flew into an FBO to meet up with someone. I saw this scroungy looking guy in bare feet. We talked for a few minutes then we went for a flight and this guy taught me and my wife a lot about fuel management and running LOP. It was Henning. And my wife, who has very little tolerance for most people actually liked him.

Last edited:
......Several months ago I flew into an FBO to meet up with someone. I saw this scroungy looking guy in bare feet. We talked for a few minutes then we went for a flight and this guy taught me and my wife a lot about fuel management and running LOP. It was Henning. And my wife, who has very little tolerance with most people actually liked him.

I am throwing the BS flag on that one....
NO ONE likes Henning..:nonod::no:;)

Last edited:
Several months ago I flew into an FBO to meet up with someone. I saw this scroungy looking guy in bare feet. We talked for a few minutes then we went for a flight and this guy taught me and my wife a lot about fuel management and running LOP. It was Henning. And my wife, who has very little tolerance with most people actually liked him.

:rofl:

Now that's the funniest thing I've read today.

Several months ago I flew into an FBO to meet up with someone. I saw this scroungy looking guy in bare feet. We talked for a few minutes then we went for a flight and this guy taught me and my wife a lot about fuel management and running LOP. It was Henning. And my wife, who has very little tolerance with most people actually liked him.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Post of the year contender right there!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

What ever you are drinking right now, please add it to the "Adults Only" thread. :rofl:

Last edited:
Maybe with this season of giving you will see an opportunity to make someone's day. It's kinda fun. Might as well be good to each other.

Agreed - it can be fun, and can contribute to a good case of the warm fuzzies on cold nights. :) I can think back to a RAoK that still pays me benefits . (I don't think Grant knows about this yet - guess I'm ratting myself out.... oh well).

Back in the summer, I was heading into the grocery store to pick up two or three things. Outside the store, there was a group that ran a local pet shelter; things were tough financially, but instead of money, they were asking if people would be willing to purchase one item on their list of things the shelter needed - the list ran from pet food to cleaning supplies and lots in between.

I took the list in with me, figuring I could pick up a roll of paper towels or something to give them on the way out. Don't know what happened, maybe it's because I got thinking about our two (now one) kitties, one of whom was a rescue kitty himself, and how there were more furry faces who needed help - I ended up going on a power shopping spree! Pretty much if it was on that list and the store carried it, I got it - paper towels, spray cleaners, bleach, big 'ol bags and cans of dog and cat food, nursers and formulas for kittens, litter, pet toys, the whole lot.

So I come out of the store struggling with this cart full of stuff, and my little bag of items for me in the top of the cart. I stop by the person who gave me the list, look over my receipt, she's expecting me to give her one thing from the cart.... the 'Oh My God' and look on her face when I picked up my purse and half-empty bag, pushed the cart handle to her and said "here you go - have a good one!" was truly grateful and priceless. I didn't give my name, but as I drove out of the lot, I passed by the team loading the donations in their van. One of the kids who was helping to load pointed at my car and said, "there's the lady who gave the cart of stuff"; completely made my day.

The weather here in Chicago is pretty cold, damp and crummy tonight- but I just got a fresh batch of warm fuzzies to tide me over :yes:

In my book: You win!

Agreed - it can be fun, and can contribute to a good case of the warm fuzzies on cold nights. :) I can think back to a RAoK that still pays me benefits . (I don't think Grant knows about this yet - guess I'm ratting myself out.... oh well).

Back in the summer, I was heading into the grocery store to pick up two or three things. Outside the store, there was a group that ran a local pet shelter; things were tough financially, but instead of money, they were asking if people would be willing to purchase one item on their list of things the shelter needed - the list ran from pet food to cleaning supplies and lots in between.

I took the list in with me, figuring I could pick up a roll of paper towels or something to give them on the way out. Don't know what happened, maybe it's because I got thinking about our two (now one) kitties, one of whom was a rescue kitty himself, and how there were more furry faces who needed help - I ended up going on a power shopping spree! Pretty much if it was on that list and the store carried it, I got it - paper towels, spray cleaners, bleach, big 'ol bags and cans of dog and cat food, nursers and formulas for kittens, litter, pet toys, the whole lot.

So I come out of the store struggling with this cart full of stuff, and my little bag of items for me in the top of the cart. I stop by the person who gave me the list, look over my receipt, she's expecting me to give her one thing from the cart.... the 'Oh My God' and look on her face when I picked up my purse and half-empty bag, pushed the cart handle to her and said "here you go - have a good one!" was truly grateful and priceless. I didn't give my name, but as I drove out of the lot, I passed by the team loading the donations in their van. One of the kids who was helping to load pointed at my car and said, "there's the lady who gave the cart of stuff"; completely made my day.

The weather here in Chicago is pretty cold, damp and crummy tonight- but I just got a fresh batch of warm fuzzies to tide me over :yes:

Very nice indeed! :cheers:

Come on all you POAers! It's a really good thing to do some random act of kindness. The people receiving it will repeat the gift and so it goes. Our crazy turned upside down world just might make a little more sense. :yes:

Last edited:
Eh, I think the furry faces won on that one :) I'm strictly in it for the warm fuzzies - luckily, they're available with all kinds of RAoKs.

I very well remember being without means, I very well remember the kindnesses that made a difference in my life.
I like to do things as simple as buy lunch for someone at work, I recieved a hundred dollars once from a complete stranger, when I really needed it. I didn't have to ask.
I have means now and have given that hundred dollars away many , many times over and know the joy of giving without being asked. Recognizing a real need and being able to help is a gift I am respectful of. Good on all of you guys!

I very well remember being without means, I very well remember the kindnesses that made a difference in my life.
I like to do things as simple as buy lunch for someone at work, I recieved a hundred dollars once from a complete stranger, when I really needed it. I didn't have to ask.
I have means now and have given that hundred dollars away many , many times over and know the joy of giving without being asked. Recognizing a real need and being able to help is a gift I am respectful of. Good on all of you guys!

And good on you ten times over. This is exactly what I'm asking POAers to do. Thanks. :D

Pilots Making a Difference.:happydance:

When I was riding regularly and living in a place with a big motorcycle community, I frequented a motorcycle forum specific to that city. A guy on there, who was a veteran of the site but didn't know personally, told us about how frustrated his wife was with her district. She was a young, still inspired school teacher teach at a school with almost all low-income, at-risk kids. They were way behind and she needed books, not textbooks, but... books books to help them get caught up on their reading skills. She wanted to make a library in her classroom so they could check them out and take them home. The district wouldn't fund the kinds of books she needed.

He said that his wife estimated it would take $500 to get enough books to build a classroom library big enough for her and another class to share. The guy on the forum asked for donations of books and/or cash. They got like $150.

In a time when the economy wasn't great, I managed to get a pretty good job ($14/hr). I was working 82 hrs/week and had some cash, so I sent her $350 to finish off the amount she needed. They thanked me profusely. After a few days I wondered if it was real, or if I had fallen for something. All of my Spidey senses told me it was legitimate, but I had no way of knowing for sure.

A couple of months later, after not talking to them since the day or two after I donated, I got a letter in the mail. I opened it and it was a hand-written (colored) letter from a little girl in the wife's class. Felt pretty good about it then.

When I was riding regularly and living in a place with a big motorcycle community, I frequented a motorcycle forum specific to that city. A guy on there, who was a veteran of the site but didn't know personally, told us about how frustrated his wife was with her district. She was a young, still inspired school teacher teach at a school with almost all low-income, at-risk kids. They were way behind and she needed books, not textbooks, but... books books to help them get caught up on their reading skills. She wanted to make a library in her classroom so they could check them out and take them home. The district wouldn't fund the kinds of books she needed.

He said that his wife estimated it would take $500 to get enough books to build a classroom library big enough for her and another class to share. The guy on the forum asked for donations of books and/or cash. They got like $150.

In a time when the economy wasn't great, I managed to get a pretty good job ($14/hr). I was working 82 hrs/week and had some cash, so I sent her $350 to finish off the amount she needed. They thanked me profusely. After a few days I wondered if it was real, or if I had fallen for something. All of my Spidey senses told me it was legitimate, but I had no way of knowing for sure.

A couple of months later, after not talking to them since the day or two after I donated, I got a letter in the mail. I opened it and it was a hand-written (colored) letter from a little girl in the wife's class. Felt pretty good about it then.

Think of the lives you touched and the dreams that were sparked by your unselfish generosity. Well done.

A while back I concluded that a primary reason for some of the less-than-nice behavior stems from being in a hurry. Otherwise, why would a driver suddenly swerve across 3 lanes of traffic and dive into a right-turn lane when the next one is only a few blocks further?

Since I work for myself (when I work at all) and set my own time and hours, there's no reason to ever be in a hurry, and if so it's probably my own fault.

So I decided to eliminate that problem by slowing down in the merge lane, the check-out line and the parking lot, as well as other times when taking a little extra time to lend a hand. Doing so doesn't materially change my ability to be where I'm supposed to be, and I enjoy being able to smile and watch the other rats try win the race. It may be easier since I know I won't run out of cheese, but it's also gratifying to see that most people recognize and appreciate being treated courteously and respond in kind.

But I'd still like to have an air horn to provide a gentle reminder to the cell-phone talkers and texters that they are endangering themselves and other by their inattention to the most important task at hand.

Okay, my story. There is this runner chick at the gym who looks really hot and wears these really loose shorts. This morning, she sat on the edge of the treadmill facing me to tie her shoes, giving me this marvelous view of the good stuff in the process.

Thank you baby, you made my day. Keep doing that.

Okay, my story. There is this runner chick at the gym who looks really hot and wears these really loose shorts. This morning, she sat on the edge of the treadmill facing me to tie her shoes, giving me this marvelous view of the good stuff in the process.

Thank you baby, you made my day. Keep doing that.

:needpics:

Our church is sponsoring three families through the Salvation Army's sponsor a family program for Christmas. A giving tree with tags showing needed items was put up and you take the tags, get the item and return the tag and item. We took a couple tags that were looking for $25 Safeway gift cards. While at the store I told my wife that anyone who needed 1 such card could really use 2 (or more), so that's what we gave them. I hope they buy some good nutritious food for their families with them.

Another charity where you can make a difference is the Tagum City Food Bank http://www.tagumfoodbank.org/ in the Philippines. Founded and run by a high school classmate of mine who retired to the Philippines. Dave is doing wonderful work here.

I was in Dallas getting my type rating about 10 years ago, well that's two weeks of pretty much nothing to do but study, eat and drink. I really don't like eating at hotels all that much, so one night I went to an upscale mexican place. Well sitting at the next table was a young couple with 2 kids and I could tell this was a big night out for them. When I got done, I quietly paid their check and tipped their server, but made sure they didn't tell them until after I left. ;)

Yeah, she "ratted herself out" and I didn't mind at all. Good on her!

Snowblow the neighbor's driveway along with mine. It's small enough and the glow of my new "snowthrower" hasn't quite worn off yet (boys with their toys :rolleyes:)

Snowblow the neighbor's driveway along with mine. It's small enough and the glow of my new "snowthrower" hasn't quite worn off yet (boys with their toys :rolleyes:)

The few times it snows where I live the snow is usually so wet and heavy that your toy would be taxed trying to move it. And my manual snow blower (son) is looking to buy a house and move out. Oh well, he'll just have to shovel his own driveway. :D

was lucky enough to live across the street from a guy with a small tractor with a bucket on it, in ten years in Maine, I can count the number of times I had to shovel the driveway on one hand.
Most of my helping out happens on my rather long drive to work, from pulling a car out of the snow bank, to changing a tire in the dark during an ice storm with trees crashing down all around (really loud in the dark night), to stopping to check on a car "parked" in a strange spot at 2 AM, and finding the driver out cold in the road after rolling his car. Most people in trouble don't mind the offer of help from a man with tools.

I was in Dallas getting my type rating about 10 years ago, well that's two weeks of pretty much nothing to do but study, eat and drink. I really don't like eating at hotels all that much, so one night I went to an upscale mexican place. Well sitting at the next table was a young couple with 2 kids and I could tell this was a big night out for them. When I got done, I quietly paid their check and tipped their server, but made sure they didn't tell them until after I left. ;)

Nicely done! :yes:

telling a little girl with new glasses how cute she looked in her glasses. Her mom really appreciated that one.

I recent was getting lunch at some local fast food chain and there were a couple of young soldiers in front of me. I signaled the cashier guy indicating I was taking care of their bill.

I also have recently helped out a few random people at various stores when they are digging for the last few dollars to pay for their groceries, when I will just slide a couple dollars to the cashier

Just paying it forward. I don't usually think twice about it.

I recent was getting lunch at some local fast food chain and there were a couple of young soldiers in front of me. I signaled the cashier guy indicating I was taking care of their bill.

I also have recently helped out a few random people at various stores when they are digging for the last few dollars to pay for their groceries, when I will just slide a couple dollars to the cashier

Just paying it forward. I don't usually think twice about it.

Nicely done Chris. :yes:

There was a woman panhandling for money outside of a restaurant in Dallas years ago. I asked her what she wanted the money for... Could have been booze ... Anyway, she said to feed my children so I said well, if that's really true then let's just go to the store. She wasnt sure she could trust me but I just told her look, if you need food for you and your family we will go get some. She got in my car, we went to the store, I visited with her about places in the area to get regular help and food choices that last a long time and are healthier than the crap some people typically buy. Don't know how it turned out after I dropped her off but maybe she listened. At least they ate for a week.

Took a little Laotian girl to a dental clinic on school time as a school employee... Told my boss she could fire me but I was going. It was my first year working for Dallas independent school district, I tilted at windmills routinely.

Gave a couple of folks a ride to terlingua from alpine a while back... That's 90 miles one way.

I have a tendency to do these kinds of things but I normally never say anything about it. Seems like that undoes the good karma if you call attention to it.

Sharing in the human condition and offering compassion is a natural response that we all have.

Last edited:
Back