Ramp vs. Apron

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Is there a difference between these terms? What about those and "tarmac"?

Let the show begin...
popcorn.gif

Tarmac =Tarmacadam, basically saying ashpault. I really don't see what the big deal is about calling the ramp a tarmac. I mean who cares

Ramp= a place to park airplanes

Apron= something my mom wears when cooking so she dosen't get stuff on her clothes. Or a parking area for planes.

Tarmac =Tarmacadam, basically saying ashpault. I really don't see what the big deal is about calling the ramp a tarmac. I mean who cares

It's just another example of the talking heads on TV (or the people who write for them) hearing a neat sounding term, having no idea of what it means, and then misusing it to make it sound like they know what they are talking about. Dumbing down the population, one step at a time.

And the ramp at most airports I've been to (as self loading cargo) is made of concrete. Not tarmac.

But, I'm an engineer and I tend to get anal about some things. :D

Not to mention Tarmac is a registered trademark. If the right company didn't supply it, it's just asphalt. I suppose you have to look very closely at the embedded gravel chips for trademark symbols...

P/CG says an apron is where you park planes. A ramp is where a seaplane gets out of the water and onto the apron.

Regards,
Joe

No basis but I've always understood "apron" as the area in front of a specific hangar and "ramp" as a general area for parking planes.

Back