Ramp checks at OSH?

txflyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly it like you STOL it ♦
Just curious if anyone has ever been checked at Osh.

Seems like it would be a hay-day for the feds.

I'm good to go. Just wondering .... :confused:

Fish in a barrel.... First time it happens, the event will fail the next year.

I thought it was policy, not a law.

Have never heard of one,my understanding is that it my be considered entrapment,so the Feds avoid it.

Carry your license, medical, photo id, make sure the plane's up to snuff, know your W&B, and you shouldn't have a problem. I would think they would be worried about other things than ramp checking people at OSH.

They absolutely can - policy says it just can't be a "blanket sweep".

http://fsims.faa.gov/wdocs/8900.1/v06 surveillance/chapter 11/06_011_010.pdf

6-2373 GENERAL.
A. Surveillance Policy. Air shows, fly-ins, and other gatherings of general aviation aircraft and airmen are opportunities for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to present a positive image to the aviation community with whom we work and the general public. Many of the aircraft operators attending these aviation events are regular users of our air traffic and flight service facilities, but their contact with Flight Standards personnel may have been rare. Most of the people who fly their airplanes to fly-in events and air shows are aviation enthusiasts and hobbyists and are not employed in the aviation industry as pilots.
1) The FAA would like this important segment of airspace users to have a very positive image of inspectors and the safety activities inspectors perform. Therefore, the FAA encourages inspectors to establish early contact with sponsors and organizers of aviation events so that informational and FAA Safety Team activities can be planned to serve attendees.

2) Under no circumstances should these gatherings be targeted for a blanket sweep inspection of spectator airmen and aircraft.

3) The scope of surveillance conducted on aviation event performers and their aircraft will be determined by the Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) manager.
4) Inspectors assigned work functions at aviation events should strive to earn the confidence of the attending and participating airmen. This can be accomplished by displaying expert technical knowledge as an aviation safety professional

I remember a few years back they ramp checked a few pilots at a big event (Sun n Fun maybe?) and caught a bunch of heat over it as it is contrary to their policies and procedures.

Ha.. Get them to define "Blanket sweep"...

It could mean two planes in a row of 1000 planes... :rolleyes::redface:

Why do you think they the FAA uses undefinable terms so often???

Have never heard of one,my understanding is that it my be considered entrapment,so the Feds avoid it.

Not entrapment. Entrapment is when you persuade or coerce a person to commit a crime they otherwise have no intention of committing, then arrest them for it.

Since the FARs are administrative law and not criminal law (I believe), entrapment doesn't apply. Even if it did, blanket ramp checks would not qualify any more than DUI checkpoints do (though they are unconstitutional on other grounds, IMO).

I'd be more worried about them wandering the OSH campgrounds at night recording who's snoring for OSA than ramp checks.

It would be interesting if they had a scale at the departure end.

I remember a student pilot on this board a couple years ago who was asking about the permissibility or wisdom of flying into Oshkosh over gross. :rolleyes2: Whatever happened to that guy? It may have just been Florida Cracker / DJTorrente or one of the others trolls just trolling, though.

Carry your license, medical, photo id, make sure the plane's up to snuff, know your W&B, and you shouldn't have a problem..

:yeahthat:

I sure don't see any "government over-reach". We're all taught from private pilot onward what documents need to be on one's person and in the airplane for everything to be legal, and that we need to produce those documents on request to proper authorities. No big deal.

Feds cannot ramp-check at fly in events. It is illegal.

Tell that to the guys who flew into our local airshow this last weekend. I know they checked at least 3 guys I saw and I talked to one of them. Said the guy was nice but wanted to see everything.

Tar. Feathers. A long American tradition for addressing government overreach.

Might solve the immediate problem, however, it probably creates a few others for you. I'll watch the first one from the sidelines and if it goes well, I'm on board.

Meanwhile, I'll keep shaking my head at the tough talk with no solutions.

I got pulled over by a cop one time and he had the nerve to ask to see my driver license, vehicle registration and proof of insurance and verified that my annual vehicle safety inspection sticker was valid!!! :eek:

Damn over-reaching government!!!!! :rolleyes:

I got pulled over by a cop one time and he had the nerve to ask to see my driver license, vehicle registration and proof of insurance and verified that my annual vehicle safety inspection sticker was valid!!! :eek:

I take it you didn't have your tar and feathers with you.:D

If said cop doesn't witness you breaking the law then YES that is overreaching.

Weren't a few decked out RVs or something written up last year at OSH due to the color or size of their tail numbers?

Weren't a few decked out RVs or something written up last year at OSH due to the color or size of their tail numbers?
He doesn't need to see you breaking the law, he just needs reasonable suspicion of it.

He doesn't need to see you breaking the law, he just needs reasonable suspicion of it.

Ha....

There a few on here that have reasonable suspicion that you are a troll, can we get the mods to boot you off the site???:dunno:.......;)

That was at Sun and Fun...:yes:

Ha....

There a few on here that have reasonable suspicion that you are a troll, can we get the mods to boot you off the site???:dunno:.......;)
It's a private site, the mods can do anything they want. I think I give pretty good gouge, so I'm not sure where these troll accusations come from other than the people I blocked for being idiots. They generally fall into two categories: homophobic bigots, and the mentally deficient (but who think they're God's gift to mankind and are quick with insults) - plus there tends to be significant overlap between the two. I can't stand either group, which is why they go straight on my ignore list.

It's a private site, the mods can do anything they want. I think I give pretty good gouge, so I'm not sure where these troll accusations come from other than the people I blocked for being idiots. They generally fall into two categories: homophobic bigots, and the mentally deficient (but who think they're God's gift to mankind and are quick with insults) - plus there tends to be significant overlap between the two. I can't stand either group, which is why they go straight on my ignore list.

Homophobic? WTF are you talking about?!

What next, calling everyone a racist too :rolleyes:

So you're telling me a cop can pull anyone over at anytime if he can makeup a reason they might be committing a crime? :no:

Homophobic? WTF are you talking about?!

What next, calling everyone a racist too :rolleyes:

So you're telling me a cop can pull anyone over at anytime if he can makeup a reason they might be committing a crime? :no:
No, it has to be reasonable. A reasonable suspicion. That is what the law requires. If the stop is challenged the cop will have to articulate why his suspicion was reasonable.

No, it has to be reasonable. A reasonable suspicion. That is what the law requires. If the stop is challenged the cop will have to articulate why his suspicion was reasonable.

And back to what I said, pull a random car over, a car that is legal, isn't swerving, isn't speeding, valid tags, clean plate, no one screaming out the window, etc, and you're going to get laughed out of court, in a ideal world you'd be fired for overreaching and crapping over the constitution which you swore a oath to.

And back to what I said, pull a random car over, a car that is legal, isn't swerving, isn't speeding, valid tags, clean plate, no one screaming out the window, etc, and you're going to get laughed out of court, in a ideal world you'd be fired for overreaching and crapping over the constitution which you swore a oath to.

Cops never get fired.

Yeah....

Months later after the "suspects" are arrested, in jail, vehicle impounded, Huge legal bills... etc etc... :rolleyes:

Back