Ramp Check

Just have your required documents and be friendly.

This was my experience with the one and only ramp check I've had (at a whopping 65 TT).

The FAA representative was friendly, professional, and really we spent more time talking about airplanes and flying in general than we did about the ramp check.

Employees at the FAA are people, too. Funny how much that puts things into perspective when you think about it.

With respect to navigation charts, does having a GPS with weekly updates like Anywhere Maps qualify for the chart requirement?

There are a couple of electronic chart sources that are "approved" alternatives (don't know who's doing the approving). I can't recall what they are, but they do tend to be listed as alternatives.

I know a number of people who use the electronic charts and love them. I really have no intention of going electronic. For one, paper has a much lower chance of running low on batteries. Also, the big thing they do is only print out the sections of charts that are applicable to the route of flight. That's great, until ATC vectors you somewhere (IFR flight) that you then don't have a chart for.

I would just make sure to keep current charts with you.

Skip
The Part 91 Inspection checklist page 56-9 includes the following items:

Pilot experience/ qual.
Biennial Flight Review
Aeronautical Charts

This is what confused me.:confused:
Hmmm. Well, I am sure you do not have to have your log book on board (subject to exceptions noted above). So the inspector will check his boxes if you present your logbook to him, otherwise he just notes that the evidence is not available. Charts you should have; however, what would happen if you got ramped while at the airport washing the plane? "Sorry sir, they are at home with my flight bag and logbook. I don't intend to fly today. Just doing some cleanup. My dog barfed inside last weekend, you are free to inspect the interior."

How can that be a bust?

-Skip

Hmmm. Well, I am sure you do not have to have your log book on board (subject to exceptions noted above). So the inspector will check his boxes if you present your logbook to him, otherwise he just notes that the evidence is not available.
If the Inspector is concerned about it, s/he has the authority to order you to present it within a reasonable time at a reasonable location. For example, the Inspector who ramps you 500 miles from home can direct you to take your logbook into your local FSDO within a few working days of your return home.
Charts you should have; however, what would happen if you got ramped while at the airport washing the plane? "Sorry sir, they are at home with my flight bag and logbook. I don't intend to fly today. Just doing some cleanup. My dog barfed inside last weekend, you are free to inspect the interior."
While I suppose anything's possible, I've never heard of a ramp check other than when someone either just landed or was preparing to take off.

Back